It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are your Top 5 Albums ?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I think this just demonstrates the beauty of the human condition. No two people are the same, we are all unique.

Music is VERY personal.

I didn't nescesarilly expect people to enjoy what I posted, I was just putting it out there.

I really enjoy finding new music. I have a few more bands and songs to check out now, from what has been posted above, albeit mostly heavy stuff it appears.

Thanks for your reply Jigger - Rammstein are a pretty good band too.

* Ned

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Mother Mother - "O My Heart"

Matchbox 20 - "More Than You Think You Are" (FLAWLESS album! And a side-note: Not many people are aware that Mick Jagger helped out in writing a track on this album called, "Disease")

David Bowie - Best of (Cannot choose; waaaaaaaaaay too many excellent songs. Sorry!)

Styx - Best of (Sorry, again)

Beck - Midnite Vultures (Only because he doesn't have a 'best of' album, yet!
)

This challenge puts one's mentality at war with itself!

edit on 25-7-2012 by Sassquatch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Guess I'll add since no one added my favorites..Not many seem to share my taste in music anyway. Classic Rock all the way.

The Who--The Who Sell Out (my all-time favorite..a proto-concept album that mimics live radio, with commercials and station ID's etc.)

Paul McCartney--RAM (such a brilliant, honest, and innocent album)

Pink Floyd--Atom Heart Mother (I prefer their earlier stuff pre-Dark Side..crazy, right?)

Electric Light Orchestra--A New World Record OR Eldorado (can't decide)

Supertramp--Crime of the Century (it just touches me in so many places
)

Thanks for the idea, OP..going to have me a 5 album marathon while I browse ATS.
edit on 26-7-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-7-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Here are mine:

Pink Floyd - The dark side of the moon: I love everything about this record. It has great philosophical lyrics that I can relate to and the concept can be interpreted in many different ways so It never gets old. My favorite track is Time because it has brilliant lyrics and a great guitar solo in the end.

Nirvana - In Utero: Nirvana's true masterpiece in my opinion. Kurt wrote great lyrics in general but they are especially haunting here. My favourite track is Dumb.

The Who: Quadrophenia: I've recently discovered this band and I got obsessed with them immediately. Love the concept. If I had to pick a song it would be Love Reign O'er Me.

Tori Amos: Little earthquakes: I like how Tori can be so honest and vulnerable in her music. Favourite track: China.

King Crimson: In the Court of the Crimson King: One of my favourite songs of all time is here: Epitaph. I love the lyrics especially this part:

"Confusion will be my epitaph
As I crawl a cracked and broken path
If we make it we can all sit back and laugh
But I fear tomorrow I'll be crying"

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by wickedgame

I love both Pink Floyd and The Who. Quadrophenia is a force! Have you ever listened to it in quadrophonic sound? Sadly, I don't have the set-up for that--but neither did a lot of people who had their record players back in the day.

I suggest you check out The Who Sell Out if you haven't already. It's not quite the same direction as Tommy and Quadrophenia, but the roots are there.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Great thread and some excellent choices.

I could easily pick 10 or 20 albums and my top 5 out of them keep on changing depending on mood etc.

But here's my current top 5;

The Clash. - London Calling.

New Order. - Power, Corruption & Lies.

The Stone Roses. - The Stone Roses.

U2. - The Joshua Tree.

The Levellers. - Levelling The Land.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

I love both bands too. I also really like the album The Wall. Have you watched the movie? It's really creepy and it took me a lot of time to fully understand the meaning behind some of the images but it's really a work of art.

I've heard The Who Sell Out and I really liked it too but nothing beats Quadrophenia for me.
edit on 28-7-2012 by wickedgame because: Expanding the answer

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by wickedgame

Yeah, The Wall is a surprisingly good indie film haha. It's really not bad and does good tribute to the concept of the album.

I still have to say I prefer earlier Floyd though. I don't know why. There's just something about Atom Heart Mother, Meddle, and Obscured By Clouds that says "this is the height of our creativity." to me. Don't get me wrong--Wish You Were Here is incredible and probably the one I listen to most often.

Quadrophenia outshines Tommy in many ways--but Tommy just has a more special place in my heart, I guess.

Gotta Love Keith Moon doing his line though, "Bell Boy! Carry the bloody baggage out!"

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

The only pre Dark side album that I like is Meddle. I tried to get into their earlier material and while I think Piper at the gates of dawn is good, those records just don't resonate with me.

Tommy is another masterpiece that I forgot to mention. These bands made so many great albums, I know it's a cliché to say this but I really wish there were more bands in mainstream modern music that were driven by passion and ambition like that.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
OH man can only pick 5 albums. Well this post will probably time out on me and I will have to start over but here it goes.
No particular order.

Pearl Jam - Ten
This album came out in my angst teen years. I loved this album, had it on tape,and listened to it so much i had to buy several copies of it. Eventually CD's came out, and i could afford one got it. It still have it and about 18 other Pearl Jam albums, imports, singles and rare concert recordings.

NiN- Pretty hate machine
The typical not going to follow the in crowd hatred music. The electronic sound open doors to other bands, and influenced a lot of the music i listen to now. Go to go see this band, with Perfect circle opening up for them at the Palace of Auburn hills. To see Trent go nuts on stage, and see his true vision of his music was just brillant.

Perfect Circle- Mer de Noms
I love Tool, but to me nothing gets better than this album. The soft voice, the trance inducing rhytm. Sleeping beauty reminds me of my wife. Don't know why, But just love this song.

Korn- Korn
Hearing shoots and ladders while riding in the back of a van heading to downtown to catch a local show, with 8 other buddies. Oh man sitting there hearing this strange sound fill the van, all of us looking at each other in shock. Then when we finale got enough money to get the album, we sat around listening to it and were just floored. When my wife and I got married, our intro to the Wedding reception we used Blind.... We could not think of a better way to enter into the room.

Type O negative- October Rust
Many nights were spent in a candle lit room with my girlfreind,just listening to this band imagining a gothic style world. Many concerts nights ( roughly 15 times i seen then perform) spent in small venues watching the weird gothic people try to dance, and mosh. Red Water one of my all time favorite songs, always makes me long for times when certain family members were still around. R.I.P. Peter Steele.

I think If i had to choose which albums i was stuck with to listen to non-stop, I think i could get by with these 5 albums. I know i am leaving out a ton of music that i enjoy in my life. these are the tops for me.
edit on 1-8-2012 by Arrancar because: wrong word

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Nice to see some earlier Floyd and King Crimson mentioned up there

Urm... This week... erm...

1. Cardiacs - "Sing To God" : Best song "Dirty Boy"
2. Secret Chiefs 3 - "Book Of Horizons" : Best song "Anthropomorphosis"
3. The Incredible String Band - "Wee Tam & The Big Huge" : Best song "Job's Tears"
4. Kate Bush - "Hounds Of Love" : Best song "The Ninth Wave"
5. Neu! - "Neu! 75" : Best song "Isi"
edit on 3-8-2012 by Goosegash because: You try spelling Anthropomorphosis after THIS much booze...

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
well over the years there's been many, man this is so unfair.

rush- 2112 the best damn album ever made, hard to believe this is just a three man band
black sabbath- well just to many to name, but i guess it would be, sabbath bloody sabbath
pink floyd- gotta name three, dark side of the moon, wish you were here, animals
ac/dc- here again to many to chose from. gotta go with dirty deeds done drift cheap. can any body play like it angus
live- throwing copper

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
got to thinking about ac/dc and just had to post this.

like i say you got to go a long way to keep up with angus.

also this from the wiki

The song is about an obese Tasmanian woman, Rosie, with whom the singer (Bon Scott) had a one night stand at the Freeway Gardens Motel in North Melbourne[1]. In addition to pointing out the woman's size, the singer finds her to be one of the most talented lovers he's ever experienced. The song's first verse reveals Rosie's substantial physical measurements (42"-39"-56"), and that she weighs nineteen stone (266 pounds/approximately 120 kilograms). On the Live from the Atlantic Studios disc, however, Scott describes the titular woman as "... a Tasmanian devil ... weighs 305 pounds ...," a measurement that differs from the "19 stone" lyric (21 st 11 lb).

here is the wiki for the song
A Whole Lotta Rosie

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
1. Pink Floyd- Animals, especially Dogs.
2. King Crimson- Red
3. Tool- Aenima
4. The Mars Volta- De-loused in The Comatorium
5. Mahavishnu Orchestra- Birds of Fire

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
1 Pink Floyd :Animals
2 Tool :Lateralus
3 Faith No More :The real thing
4 Guns N' Roses :Appetite for destruction
5 Pink Floyd :Wish you were here
just ahead of Tool Aenima.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
The Smiths - The Queen is Dead.
My personal favourite from the album.....

The Cure - Disintegration
My personal favourite from the album...

New Order- Substance
My personal favourite from the album...

The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses.
My personal favourite from the album....

Passenger - All the Little Light's.
Can't choose just one, so it would be a toss-up between these two...

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Logos23

Some great selections. We have similar taste in music. Thanks for sharing

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by nimbinned

No worries....look's like we both have great taste in music then
lol

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Black Sabbath
Led Zep
Pink Floyd
Stones
Karen Carpenter

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 03:47 AM
link   
These are the albums that, like you said in the OP, I've heard every song at least 1000 times and I can keep listening at least 1000 more...
In no particular order
Korn - Follow the Leader
Metallica - Black Album
Dark Lotus - Black Rain
Fear Factory - Obsolete
Soulfly - Primitive

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join