It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian Federal Election Today

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Starting to think I give Australians too much credit.

After this vote, I'd say any credit is far too much. I never used to want the NWO, but now I'd rather prefer to duke it out than sit and listen to another stream of scare-mongering # rolling out of Howards lower face hole (heheheh). I had actually planned to vote labor up until recently, but went green instead, and although my vote was apparently wasted, as the saying goes "I would rather die for good than live for evil".

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by cargo
As much as Howard says otherwise, I believe he will retire mid-term and the Australian people will be stuck with Peter Costello for PM.

This was one thing that bemused me about the campaign, one one hand we had Latham spouting about a positive campaign, then in the break there would be all these commercials trying to say that Howard was going to step down and we'd be stuck with Costello.

The thing is, I'd prefer Costello to Howard, hell I'd prefer Beazley to Howard. But the bummer is, the only option was Latham, whom (as I think I've mentioned previously) I wouldn't lend my car, let alone trust with my nation.

All other things being equal, if Labor had been stable, with Beazley in charge, they would have done a lot better. I would have voted for Beazley over Howard.

The other problem I think was Labors promise to pull Aus troops out of Iraq before christmas. It turns out going in in the first place was a bad idea, but its not going to help by trying to cut and run. I think a lot of people saw that for the self-serving vote grab it was.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I don't find being "STUCK" with Peter Costello such a huge problem anyways, I mean, he's been the treasurer for a long time now & is doing a fantastic job. If John Howard want's to retire early ( as is his right ) then I say bring on Peter Costello!!! That scaremongering propaganda from the Labor party & supporters about Howard retiring & us being stuck with Costello is a load of codswallop!

Labor Party used to stand for the workers of the country, somewhere along the way this seems to have gotten lost. Why is it that when there is a Labor Government, either State or Federal, that Union disputes & the like actually increase quite considerably? Labor is the right name for them.......they're all as painful as childbirth!!!

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I think most Labor voters are stunned and shocked at this appalling election result. I assumed, like many others that people were fed up with Howard's arrogance, and would dump him, much like what happened to Keating.

Unfortunately, we didn't count on the ignorance vote & the hip-pocket vote. If people realised that the glowing economic figures the Libs lay claim to are dodgy, they would've thought twice. The figures showing the increased net worth of Australians are more due to overvalued property values caused by rampant speculation.

So that's what tipped the balance, I think. Hordes of trembling home owners, worried about a 0.5% interest hike. Never mind the litany of lies about gun control, terrorists, refugees, Iraq, East Timor, Solomon Islands, dodgy arms contracts, Free trade agreements etc. We'll just have to learn to live with the consequences;

* New laws enabling authorities to arrest & detain ANYBODY, ANYWHERE, FOR ANY REASON, FOR AS LONG AS THEY LIKE WITH NO TRIAL
*THE NEW 'AUSTRALIA' ID CARD
* MORE CONCENTRATION CAMPS
* NO MEDICARE
* NO NEW HOSPITALS
* NO TELSTRA
* NO SENATE
* NO ATSIC
* A 15 YEAR ARMS CONTRACT WITH SOMEONE'S BUDDY

I could go on, but I'm getting a bit nauseous.

As for Latham being too inexperienced....I'm sure he has heaps of experienced players advising him. He has excellent policies, but he just made the mistake of being too much of a nice guy during the campaign. He should have given them heaps
Better that than a man fully experienced at pulling the wool over our eyes.

Good luck, Knucklehead Nation, you got what you deserved.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Thank you for carving that in silicon, Ganesh2005, whoever you are.

For a bit of light relief, watch "Don's Party". Some of the Liberal voters from this site feature prominently therein.

Roll on, pathetic 51st state of the USA.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ganesh2005

I think most Labor voters are stunned and shocked at this appalling election result. I assumed, like many others that people were fed up with Howard's arrogance, and would dump him, much like what happened to Keating.

, not even comparible, especially since Keating was destroying the economy - typical labor.

Unfortunately, we didn't count on the ignorance vote & the hip-pocket vote. If people realised that the glowing economic figures the Libs lay claim to are dodgy, they would've thought twice. The figures showing the increased net worth of Australians are more due to overvalued property values caused by rampant speculation.

Net worth is just one of many economic indicators which are showing the economy is strong. Just look at job growth. Hell, if labor had been in power during the Asian economic crisis then we wouldn't have an economy now.

So that's what tipped the balance, I think. Hordes of trembling home owners, worried about a 0.5% interest hike. Never mind the litany of lies about gun control, terrorists, refugees, Iraq, East Timor, Solomon Islands, dodgy arms contracts, Free trade agreements etc. We'll just have to learn to live with the consequences;

Please, stop rambling. Just get over the fact that most Australians are more informed than you. I feel sorry for small poeple like you who denegrate anybody who disagrees with you - no matter how wrong you are.

* New laws enabling authorities to arrest & detain ANYBODY, ANYWHERE, FOR ANY REASON, FOR AS LONG AS THEY LIKE WITH NO TRIAL
*THE NEW 'AUSTRALIA' ID CARD
* MORE CONCENTRATION CAMPS
* NO MEDICARE
* NO NEW HOSPITALS
* NO TELSTRA
* NO SENATE
* NO ATSIC
* A 15 YEAR ARMS CONTRACT WITH SOMEONE'S BUDDY

I could go on, but I'm getting a bit nauseous.

Half your list is complete BS, no more comment necessary.

As for Latham being too inexperienced....I'm sure he has heaps of experienced players advising him. He has excellent policies, but he just made the mistake of being too much of a nice guy during the campaign. He should have given them heaps

All of his experienced advisors seem to be getting the axe lately - they must have been reallllly goooood

Latham was too much of a nice guy
Good One. If he had been anymore agressive he would've lost even more seats. The guy is simply a thug and embarrassment to Australia. He'll be gone by the time of the next election.

Good luck, Knucklehead Nation, you got what you deserved.

Well leave if you don't like it. From the sounds of you I don't think you'd be missed at all - one less dole bludger to sponge off us taxpayers.

GOODBYE

Typical labor whinger. Please enough BS.

It seems to me the majority of young people eho support labor are just plain lazy and want a free ride for everything. I have no sympathy for them at all, not that I'm too much older.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 12:40 AM
link   
The last time I voted ALP was when olde silver lobes Bob Hawke was PM. I voted for them...once...twice in the 1980-90s. By 1996 I just couldnt stomach them any more. Especially Keating.....they had become so arrogant.

I didn't see enough difference to change my vote in 2001.

This time I came so close to voting for ALP my wife yelled at me for coming out saying I voted Liberal again.

I thought the ads about Howard maybe retiring before a full term and giving old Peter Costello the job were more pathetic than nasty.

And yes, the Coalition certainly scored with the double Interest Rates ads and the L Plate Latham - stuffed up Liverpool council ads. Aim for the grannys and the economic watcher votes. Most of the people I spoke to thought they were crap but effective. Everybody knows the ALP is too conservative to let the inflation get out of control. It didnt determine my vote though.

Right up until Friday I was thinking of voting ALP. I had every reason to vote for them. I'm getting none of Howards domestic promises, even if delivered.

I wouldnt vote Greens, Democrats, One Nation or Family First to save my life - they dont budge and its thier way or no way.

I was distgusted the way both parties threw money promises at everyone. Tax is collected for the sole reason of funding infrastructure and services, not buying votes with tax cuts and rebates.

Health, Welfare, Education, the States and Defence all should have got thier fair share of the budget surplus.

Without the GST there would have been money for neither.

But people lapped it up, it was like a smorgash board. The sad plain fact that its becoming a case of making cuts, or increasing taxes to fund programs. But neither is popular.

What happens when there isnt a surplus to milk, or worse a deficit? All those nice little cuts and rebates will disappear and people will be screaming about it. And the government will be too scared to up taxes or make cuts. The ALP should be greatful. Unless the growth keeps going for John to claim credit.

Where the ALP lost me was in the last few weeks. Other issues important to me, and comments on mainstream stuff.

On Sunrise you had the Government and Opposition spokespersons for;

Foreign Affairs. Government explaining the issues as they saw it right or wrong. The Opposition just saying "yes we will do that"

Defence. Government promising to commit on overdue and vital projects, The government committing to staying in Iraq for the long haul -v- the ALPs position of abandoning Iraq and racing to bring our troops home by Christmas regardless. Does anybody truly think its going to help Iraqis if the coalition leaves Iraq while the factions and terrorists run amok? I supposed theres a bulk of other Australians who don't really give a stuff about Iraqis Afghanis or anyone else for that matter. But just out of interest does anyone really think that running away from Iraq helps our security in the long term? Your dreaming!
And ruling out pre-emption ( I was fine with) as a last resort (no way) and defining our defence needs by what didn't upset the sensitivities of our neighbours? When was the last time they worried about our concerns?

The government poorly defined pre emption and the ALP lept on it. The coalition failed to clarify themselves.

I saw it as if; we know there is a terror group, we know where they are based, we know that they are going to attack us. We are not sure exactly where and we are not sure exactly when. Do we alarm the public and alert the terrorists into changing thier plans. Or do we consult with our neighbour, share the information and let them attack the terrorists, or get permission to do so if they lack the capability themselves?

The Howard government never said anything about unilateral action by ourselves, but that was how the ALP slanted it, and that was when our neighbours got po'd in the press.

Downers explaination of reversed roles if Indonesia struck at terrorists based in Northern Australia, and us understanding. A point of illustration. We would understand if we were asked for permission. The difference is we wouldnt tolerate a known terrorist camp in our country and we wouldnt need Indonesias help to destroy it.

But for domestic politics the ALP had to twist it, and denounce it.

Personally. If we made a neighbour aware of an anti Australian terror camp and staging base planning to strike on the Australian mainland and they told us to bugger off, I for one would have second thoughts about that neighbours intentions, and use any covert means at our disposal to confirm thats camps purpose and then destroy it. Or are most Australians prepared to play the odds that a terror attack on the mainland wouldnt hit them directly. How many Australian lives is your own comfort worth.

For me, the ALP was negotiating that price.

Treasury. Asked to reduce the four volumes to 200 pages for income tax. Government trying to explain what is looked at to try and simplify the income tax laws. Simon Crean just giving an emphatic yes to do it.

To me nothing has really changed about the ALP in twenty odd years but some of the faces, and the desperation to promise anything to get back in.

Yes the Coalition is desperate too, but we can't help anybody on welfare, unemployment if the economy is stuffed too, and the Coalitions record is not bad there. It could be better, but I don't think the ALP is the one to do it...yet.

The Coalition possibly getting control of the Senate threw me though. I always considered the split of control vital for the necessary give and take to achieve some balance and control of events.

Frightening thought.

[edit on 15-10-2004 by craigandrew]

[edit on 15-10-2004 by craigandrew]

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist
]

Well leave if you don't like it. From the sounds of you I don't think you'd be missed at all - one less dole bludger to sponge off us taxpayers.

GOODBYE

Typical labor whinger. Please enough BS.

It seems to me the majority of young people eho support labor are just plain lazy and want a free ride for everything. I have no sympathy for them at all, not that I'm too much older.

Isn't it funny how these Liberal fanatics assume all Labor voters are young dole bludgers ? Sounds like my parents headspace circa 1974.

Oh, that's right, Liberal voters never need Government assistance ( they have a special secret deal ) They don't need hospital beds either, because they're INVINCIBLE

I happen to be a 47 year old businessman, sonny, and pay taxes.

I have kids and voted Labor for the sake of their future, not to save half a percent on some overpriced real estate.

Well, maybe in the future, you and all your stockbroker friends can get together and congratulate yourselves on ridding your realm of all the pesky, unwashed Labor supporters. Then you can sit around listening to your Julie Anthony records, while attempting to make up funny jokes and play musical instruments.

You guys have lapped up the spin-doctoring ever since the Whitlam dismissal, and it's gone on for so long you're even believing your own publicity.

You might think Latham's a thug, but he's really a wuss compared to that rockjaw the Lib's invited over to convince us not to vote Labor.

I didn't see Latham importing foreign thugs to shore up his chances in the election...did you? Why did the Libs need to do that ?

[edit on 17-10-2004 by Ganesh2005]

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 09:16 PM
link   
You don't sound too well informed for 47 year old. Keep on rambling. Labor offered nothing but rhetoric, they could never have followed throiugh on what they said. Only the completely naive would think that, obviously you are one of hem. Too bad, not that it really matters.

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I think it was the toughest election campaign the libs have waged in a long time it almost seem out of desperation that no matter what they had to win, a loss would have meant costello led opposition which wouldnt have lasted very long i think the libs learnt alot from their time in opposition in the 80s.Howard will only remain leader max 2 years then pass the leadership to costello they are really looking long term this time round .The promise of low interest rates i thought would be hard to deliver with consumption so high, the backing of the US led forces against Arab nations continuing to threaten all Australians living / working in Muslim countries and nations, the privatisation of our telecommunications network with all these issues to consider the voters hand the libs the most convincing win in recent times and it would appear they have a liberal senate so no bill can be challenged or blocked (ps thanks meg lees for destroying the democrats traitor) i think these may be tough times ahead.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join