It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Penn State fined $60 million, banned from bowl games for 4 years

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
When the crimes Sandusky was convicted of happened, he was NOT a coach at Penn State. The University allowed him use of it's facilities because of the charity that he was involved with. The NCAA has no business penalizing Penn State. No NCAA rules were broken, this is just a "feel good about doing something" publicity stunt.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
When the crimes Sandusky was convicted of happened, he was NOT a coach at Penn State. The University allowed him use of it's facilities because of the charity that he was involved with. The NCAA has no business penalizing Penn State. No NCAA rules were broken, this is just a "feel good about doing something" publicity stunt.

Sandusky won assistant coach of the year in 1999, the year he retired. The coverups date back to 1997. Sandusky started his 'non profit charity', The Second Mile, in 1977. Many think that this man began the charity to use as a harem, for easy procurement of the boys that he liked to diddle.
He was a coach when he was first investigated for sexually assaulting children. Two years later, they forced him to retire early, but gave him professor emeritus status, which came with an office and the run of the campus.

Over the course of the trial that lasted eight days, jurors heard from eight witnesses who testified that Sandusky sexually abused them.[63] Jurors also heard testimony about assaults on two other victims who were never identified.[63] Of the eight males who gave testimony, each explained that they met Sandusky through The Second Mile organization; their individual accounts spanned from the mid-1990s until 2009.[64][65] The witnesses testified of similar stories of being abused in the football locker room showers or in the basement of Sandusky's home[64] Sandusky's defense attorneys argued that the accusers were driven by financial motives.

Source

So his convictions were on crimes dating back to the mid 1990's, he retired from coaching in 1999.
edit on 23-7-2012 by butcherguy because: to add.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by djr33222

I didn't mean to imply that I don't think the whole thing was horrible, there's nothing more disgusting in my mind. I just think the guilty should be punished not people who had nothing to do with it.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Shark_Feeder

Students can still achieve academic dreams without football.

The school, in order to save itself, will need to actually focus on academics instead of football.

Penn State has produced 5 nobel prize winners, no one can name them. But everyone knows Joe. That is the problem.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

One of the assaults was happening in a Penn State Locker room.

And a lot of the claims goes back tot he 80s. This has been going on a long time.

It was covered up by everyone all the way through the top. The whole school needs to be stripped and overhauled.

The Freehy report showed that indeed, Paterno knew it was going on, by the emails that were sent around.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499

We don't have access to all the investigative materials, but reading between the lines, I get the impression that the reason he still had that access was because the University was in CYA status. The original allegations were made, he lost his job, but he had dirt on the University, so they allowed him to keep his access as part of an agreement that was supposed to keep a lid on everyone's dirt.

The fact that the University had knowledge of enough wrong-doing to fire him, but didn't notify law enforcement, and didn't take away his access to kids, and didn't take their name association away from his organization is plenty of reason for this big penalty in my opinion.

As a parent, if I send my kid to a football camp at Penn State University, I assume the things that happen there are endorsed by the University.

I used to love JoePa, but I think he dropped the ball on this one, and I think he dropped the ball, because the admin told him to drop the ball, because the University had some liability exposure and they wanted the whole thing buried. Burying it led to more abuse, so they are liable. More than liable, disgusting.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by acmpnsfal
Reply to post by capone1

I dont think it matters that staff within the football department were involved in this scandal. The fact is this has nothing to do with the NCAA. PSU did not violate NCAA rules in any way, shape, or form. Therefore they should not be handing out punishments, its outside their jurisdiction.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Not true. They violated the "Lack of institutional control" written by the NCAA. When 5+ people put the football program above the lives of innocent children, that is a lack of institutional control.
The HEAD FOOTBALL COACH knew one of his assistant coaches was raping kids in the locker room, and this went on for over 10 years, yet the NCAA shouldn't punish them?

P.S. You know what NCAA stands for right?
edit on 23-7-2012 by capone1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
By now we’ve heard of the sex abuse scandal at Penn State that has now landed former football coach Jerry Sandusky in jail, and which apparently engulfed even the late and legendary coach Joe Paterno. Now, anyone who knows me well will tell you, I could care less about professional – or college – well, really, any sports. But as the story began to break, the first thing I thought of was the Franklin Scandal, the story of rich Omaha financier Larry King, who himself became involved in a child sex abuse ring, and scandal, that ran all the way from Nebraska’s famous Boys’ Town, to Los Angeles and sex-abuse parties for the wealthy and powerful, to Washington, D.C., where the scandal reached into Congress and, some argue, into the White House of then President George Herbert Walker Bush.

I had the suspicion that the Penn State Scandal was but one manifestation of what I suspect – and still do to this day – is a world wide, old, and coordinated phenomenon, orchestrated by the wealthy and powerful for a variety of purposes. These suspicions I shared with a colleague in the alternative research community, Walter Bosley (co-author of Empire of the Wheel, a study of similar murky goings-on in southern California after the turn of the last century, and again, implicating the wealthy and powerful in bizarre games of ritual and murder). Walter then informed me of the Wineville Chicken Coop Murders in southern California, involving a Canadian – Gordon Northcutt – who lured adolescent boys to his farm, and murdered them. At his trial, Northcutt maintained he had been put up to it by hidden wealthy and powerful men. No one at the time believed him, and Northcutt took whatever secrets he had with him after he was hung for the murders. Then, more recently, the famous child actor of the 1980s, Corey Feldman, now a grown man, gave an interview outlining his own abuse at the hands of Hollywood’s rich and powerful:

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by capone1

Originally posted by acmpnsfal
Reply to post by capone1

I dont think it matters that staff within the football department were involved in this scandal. The fact is this has nothing to do with the NCAA. PSU did not violate NCAA rules in any way, shape, or form. Therefore they should not be handing out punishments, its outside their jurisdiction.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Not true. They violated the "Lack of institutional control" written by the NCAA. When 5+ people put the football program above the lives of innocent children, that is a lack of institutional control.
The HEAD FOOTBALL COACH knew one of his assistant coaches was raping kids in the locker room, and this went on for over 10 years, yet the NCAA shouldn't punish them?

P.S. You know what NCAA stands for right?
edit on 23-7-2012 by capone1 because: (no reason given)

Punish the students for what a sick man in charge was doing... Yup, that sounds about right. There is no reason to enact punishments that will stifle the future careers of students. You want to punish the school? Start sending the teachers to jail. Don't take away scholarships and grants and jesus # this is dumb.
edit on 23-7-2012 by mattdel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I feel like the Penn State fans still don't get it.

The university is being punished from 1998 onward, from when they first found out Sandusky was a kiddie raper, and from when they first started covering it up.

Because it was the "humane thing to do" for Sandusky and the football program, not the humane thing to do for the children.

My sister married into a huge Penn State family, big time boosters. Her new father in-law said it best, "Paterno is Penn State".

If you're still confused I can try to be clearer.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

PSU vacates all wins from 1998-2011

This is the only thing I have a problem with. Faculty doesn't win the games, the athletes do.

That being said, I would love to see college sport taken down a huge notch. Some schools are more about pumping out "athletes", than they are about learning. And that reaches down to even the high school level these days.
edit on Mon, 23 Jul 2012 14:46:11 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

oops
edit on Mon, 23 Jul 2012 14:46:02 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Can you say DENIAL ?

The release of the Freeh report has triggered an avalanche of vitriol, condemnation and posthumous punishment on Joe Paterno. The NCAA has now become the latest party to accept the report as the final word on the Sandusky scandal. The sanctions announced by the NCAA today defame the legacy and contributions of a great coach and educator without any input from our family or those who knew him best.

Statement from Paterno family about NCAA sanctions

One of the many reasons why sanctions need to happen.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

PSU vacates all wins from 1998-2011

This is the only thing I have a problem with. Faculty doesn't win the games, the athletes do.

That being said, I would love to see college sport taken down a huge notch. Some schools are more about pumping out "athletes", than they are about learning. And that reaches down to even the high school level these days.
edit on Mon, 23 Jul 2012 14:46:11 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

"Football will never again be placed ahead of educating, nurturing and protecting young people," ~ NCAA President Mark Emmert

As it should be.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by bourbon2nite
reply to post by phantomjack

Are you saying then that Sandusky had absolutely nothing to do with any of those wins. Sandusky should not have been there period. Why do you think it was covered up? Because Paterno and Sandusky where a team in themselves and Paterno would have lost his right hand man.

Sandusky RETIRED from coaching in 1998.

So yes, I am saying he had nothing to do with it.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by phantomjack

Sandusky RETIRED from coaching in 1998.

So yes, I am saying he had nothing to do with it.

Sandusky still had access to Penn State facilities and still traveled with the team to bowl games.................... even after 1998.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I find that whole "penalty" thing hard to believe. Hundreds of people who have nothing to do with the crimes committed and unprofessional behavior of the officials who were complacent or complicit, will be penalized. This is ridiculous.

If there is real guilt, all of persons involved must be prosecuted in the court of law. If there is no guilt, nobody has business destroying a school's athletic program, and dreams of hundreds of aspiring athletes.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
So, they decided to punish all the athletes that participated on those teams because an assistant coach was a pervert.

That doesn't seem fair or just.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
When a public university gets it's funds from the government they are under control of the government. How come a football coach gets way more money than the president of the USA. How come there are people in these colleges making more than our Senators. Why does the income from the football and sports programs get treated different than school income allowing high salaries and corruption to occur. Football and other sports are not more important than knowledge and shouldn't be rewarded as such. What is wrong with people in this country.....

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kastogere
Im not sure how football applies to child molestation. Im sure that if the guy had been a plumber he'd stil have found a way to hang out in the locker room.

The penalties are designed for what exactly? Punish the innocent students for something that a staff member did? Imagine what that does to all of their programs not just sports. This kind of stain doesn't wash off at all. And whats the deal with the statue?

Hmmm yea that makes sense, all this really does is kill the town that the school sits in economically, who wants to go to PSU after this? Pervert Statutory University......

100% Agree . This is extending culpablitiy past the real perpetrators and punishing the innocents. FOR SHAME.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join