It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Penn State fined $60 million, banned from bowl games for 4 years

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
When a public university gets it's funds from the government they are under control of the government. How come a football coach gets way more money than the president of the USA. How come there are people in these colleges making more than our Senators. Why does the income from the football and sports programs get treated different than school income allowing high salaries and corruption to occur. Football and other sports are not more important than knowledge and shouldn't be rewarded as such. What is wrong with people in this country.....

For the record, regardless of what Obama claims, governments do not create jobs, and governments do not create revenue. They just re-distribute revenue that is earned through enterprise. FOOTBALL is a HUGE enterprise. The Penn State University is the largest revenue generator in the state of Pennsylvania by far. That is why the president of the university, and the chair of the board, and the football coach, and the key research professors all earn more than our politicians, because they are worth more than our politicians, and they contribute more than our politicians.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattdel

Originally posted by capone1

Originally posted by acmpnsfal
Reply to post by capone1

I dont think it matters that staff within the football department were involved in this scandal. The fact is this has nothing to do with the NCAA. PSU did not violate NCAA rules in any way, shape, or form. Therefore they should not be handing out punishments, its outside their jurisdiction.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Not true. They violated the "Lack of institutional control" written by the NCAA. When 5+ people put the football program above the lives of innocent children, that is a lack of institutional control.
The HEAD FOOTBALL COACH knew one of his assistant coaches was raping kids in the locker room, and this went on for over 10 years, yet the NCAA shouldn't punish them?

P.S. You know what NCAA stands for right?
edit on 23-7-2012 by capone1 because: (no reason given)

Punish the students for what a sick man in charge was doing... Yup, that sounds about right. There is no reason to enact punishments that will stifle the future careers of students. You want to punish the school? Start sending the teachers to jail. Don't take away scholarships and grants and jesus # this is dumb.
edit on 23-7-2012 by mattdel because: (no reason given)

Which students? The football players who were gaurunteed full rides? Those same athletes are now allowed to transfer with full scholarships to other schools, which half of them have already done.
Sorry, but the president, vice-president, the athletic director, and the the head football coach knew that kids were being raped on campus, and they did nothing about it for over a decade.

Students can still attend Penn State, academically it will not lose its merrit. Athletically, thwy will suffer, as they should.

It's annoying to hear peoples opinions when their sole purpose is to argue against the accepted and justified sanctions.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by djr33222

Sanctions are nice but are the people who covered this up for over a decade going to be facing criminal charges??!!

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by capone1

Granted, my following of this case is close to zero, but how exactly is it justified to punish the students for the actions of the staff? That's my only hangup here. None of these punishments laid out do anything to the staff, it's purely a kick in the throat to the football department. The students are not to blame, and yet the only sactions being laid out are against them.

It's akin to having a dirty uncle that rapes you, and when everyone finds out, your parents take away your chocolate milk.

Maybe I'm completely wrong, but I don't think I am.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by mattdel

I felt the same way as you upon first hearing the news, but Sandusky is in jail, Paterno was sacked and then died, and the Univerity President was also sacked. I'm not sure if anything is happening to the weasel witness that saw a rape in progress and did nothing about it for days, but hopefully he is facing some repercussions as well.

So, at this point, the heads have already rolled, and now it is time to hurt the pocket books and set a precedent for future actions, and in my opinion this precedent doesn't quite go far enough.

The students and the economy of Pennsylvania are the unfortunate collateral damage, and I do feel bad for them. Even the previous graduates with Penn State degrees are feeling the backlash from this, but I don't see any way around it. It just is what it is.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swills

Sanctions are nice but are the people who covered this up for over a decade going to be facing criminal charges??!!

Yes they will. All known victims have lawyers hired and ready to go. They had to wait for the NCAA ruling.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

reply to post by capone1

Granted, my following of this case is close to zero, but how exactly is it justified to punish the students for the actions of the staff? That's my only hangup here. None of these punishments laid out do anything to the staff, it's purely a kick in the throat to the football department. The students are not to blame, and yet the only sactions being laid out are against them.

It's akin to having a dirty uncle that rapes you, and when everyone finds out, your parents take away your chocolate milk.

Again, which students are you talking about?

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

reply to post by capone1

Again, which students are you talking about?

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Anybody that was aware of Sandusky's actions and did nothing to stop it is guilty and should be in jail. I'm sure the guilty are not paying a dime of their own loot towards this fine.

It would be nice if the $60 million went to the victims.

edit on 7/23/2012 by sad_eyed_lady because: add something

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by capone1

The ones that are there now. The ones that won't get to play in any bowl games, where a sizable majority of pro scouting is done. For the next 4 years, college athletes at Penn State will not receive the same attention they normally would have, and might lose out on a career that they've been planning since childhood.

Link

The sanctions also include a $60 million fine, a four-year postseason ban and the loss of some athletic scholarships. The Big Ten said Penn State would forfeit its postseason revenue share of $13 million. Both the N.C.A.A. and the Big Ten said the money would go to programs that protect children from people like Mr. Sandusky.

Four year postseason ban means that at least 300 college football athletes will not receive post-season scouting, or experience, something that big market NFL teams look for.
The loss of scholarships is really bothersome to me. Why would you take money away from aspiring students, because some kids got raped 14 years ago?

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by sad_eyed_lady

Anybody that was aware of Sandusky's actions and did nothing to stop it is guilty and should be in jail. I'm sure the guilty are not paying a dime of their own loot towards this fine.

Again, people who knew about what was going on will be facing lawsuits. Paterno is dead, Sandusky is in prison for life, but others will be sued dilligently.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

reply to post by capone1

The ones that are there now. The ones that won't get to play in any bowl games, where a sizable majority of pro scouting is done. For the next 4 years, college athletes at Penn State will not receive the same attention they normally would have, and might lose out on a career that they've been planning since childhood.

Link

The sanctions also include a $60 million fine, a four-year postseason ban and the loss of some athletic scholarships. The Big Ten said Penn State would forfeit its postseason revenue share of $13 million. Both the N.C.A.A. and the Big Ten said the money would go to programs that protect children from people like Mr. Sandusky.

Four year postseason ban means that at least 300 college football athletes will not receive post-season scouting, or experience, something that big market NFL teams look for.
The loss of scholarships is really bothersome to me. Why would you take money away from aspiring students, because some kids got raped 14 years ago?

Dude come on, I just explained everything. The sanctions are only against the football team. The head coach was aware of an assistant coaching raping kids, and nothing was done. Sandusky still had an office ajd ran kids football camps on campus until 2009.
ALL of the current football players are allowed to transfer with full scholarships. As a former NCAA athlete, I can tell you these players will get the same opportunity to be an NFL player as they would at any other Big 10 school.
edit on 23-7-2012 by capone1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

Originally posted by Kastogere
Im not sure how football applies to child molestation. Im sure that if the guy had been a plumber he'd stil have found a way to hang out in the locker room.

The penalties are designed for what exactly? Punish the innocent students for something that a staff member did? Imagine what that does to all of their programs not just sports. This kind of stain doesn't wash off at all. And whats the deal with the statue?

Hmmm yea that makes sense, all this really does is kill the town that the school sits in economically, who wants to go to PSU after this? Pervert Statutory University......

100% Agree . This is extending culpablitiy past the real perpetrators and punishing the innocents. FOR SHAME.

Tell me how these sanctions are hard on the students.

I'd love to know how these sanctions adversely effect the educations of anyone attending Penn State.

If your arguement is that the students share the win with the football team, that they hold their heads a little higher because of the football team, then good.

Because I think it would then be apt for the fans to hang that head a little lower for 4 years, share the shame in the same way.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
When a public university gets it's funds from the government they are under control of the government. How come a football coach gets way more money than the president of the USA. How come there are people in these colleges making more than our Senators. Why does the income from the football and sports programs get treated different than school income allowing high salaries and corruption to occur. Football and other sports are not more important than knowledge and shouldn't be rewarded as such. What is wrong with people in this country.....

Indeed. When I learned that Paterno was making half a million dollars a year for some time, I almost shat my pants. Come on, people, this doesn't sound right.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGWskeptic

Originally posted by Unity_99

Originally posted by Kastogere
Im not sure how football applies to child molestation. Im sure that if the guy had been a plumber he'd stil have found a way to hang out in the locker room.

The penalties are designed for what exactly? Punish the innocent students for something that a staff member did? Imagine what that does to all of their programs not just sports. This kind of stain doesn't wash off at all. And whats the deal with the statue?

Hmmm yea that makes sense, all this really does is kill the town that the school sits in economically, who wants to go to PSU after this? Pervert Statutory University......

100% Agree . This is extending culpablitiy past the real perpetrators and punishing the innocents. FOR SHAME.

Tell me how these sanctions are hard on the students.

I will, as soon as you tell me how taking $60M out of the school's budget won't have any consequence on the resources available to the school.

Because I think it would then be apt for the fans to hang that head a little lower for 4 years, share the shame in the same way.

Look, I'm sorry... But are you nuts? How does John Doe who loves football and his school is guilty of some pervert's criminal actions, and the cover up staged by the high brass? Why does he need to hang his head low? What DID HE DO?

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Colleges across the United States focus more on their sports programs rather than their academic offerings. When low performing high school students get scholarships based solely on their athletic skill, the priority of higher education takes a back seat.

Colleges and Universities should be giving scholarships to high school's brightest students. Scholarships for sports should only be given if the student excels both academically and in their athletic ability. To many high school students rely on sports to get them into college rather than making the grade. A lot of college athletes don't even graduate.

Colleges and universities have their priorities backwards. They need to make education their priority and let the chips fall when it comes to sports. Maybe if they started emphasizing athletic scholarships based on grades, more high school athletes would take their education a lot more seriously.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

Colleges across the United States focus more on their sports programs rather than their academic offerings. When low performing high school students get scholarships based solely on their athletic skill, the priority of higher education takes a back seat.

I have to admit that I love my Football Town, and my Football School, and they say here in my state that "the pretty girls go to FSU, the smart girls go to UF." I'm definitely OK with that!
This school has also notoriously always been in the top party schools in the nation, and at one point Playboy Magazine voted our Publix grocery store as the number one spot in the nation to pick up girls! A GROCERY STORE!

But, all that aside, we also have an extremely high entrance GPA and SAT scores. We have a tier 1 law school, a wonderful engineering school, the nations largest Magnetic Lab, and a nice large amount of Patent income. This was the first school in the world to synthesize the Cancer Drug Taxol.

So, for a "Drinking Town, with a Football Problem," I'm pretty happy with the academics they put together.

AND, just for the record, some of the Football Alumni are the ones funding the biggest research. Including a former football standout that donated a significant amount of money to build the New 5-story State of the Art Chemistry Building, which happens to overlook the Tennis Courts named after former Seminole and Gulf War I MIA pilot Scott Speicher.

Just saying, a BIG football program is not necessarily a bad thing.
edit on 23-7-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Reply to post by capone1

LOL, ummmm there were not 5(plus) people involved in this scandal. The lack of institutional control rule is garbage. There is no clear definition or guidelines that determine what critera need to be met in order to be lacking institutional control. Like I said this is non of the NCAAa business.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
as Stephen A Smith said " I don't care if this program ever plays football again"

You can't have a football first/ above all other culture, and I personally think this was too lenient, they should have been given the death penalty for a few years but that would harm businesses in Happy Valley and the players, I am glad the NCAA will let the players transfer and be eligible to play right away

But to Penn State good riddance, get your # together then worry about football

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by acmpnsfal
Reply to post by capone1

LOL, ummmm there were not 5(plus) people involved in this scandal. The lack of institutional control rule is garbage. There is no clear definition or guidelines that determine what critera need to be met in order to be lacking institutional control. Like I said this is non of the NCAAa business.

Actually, there were probably a lot more than 5 Mandated Reporters that were REQUIRED to report this to authorities even if they didn't think the accusations were justified. There was the witness, the witnesses father, Paterno, the admin that Paterno reported to, and all others who were privy to the information in between and along the way!

There doesn't need to be a clear definition, it is clear that the system failed, and it is apparent that it failed because it was covering its own exposure to liability. If there was a definition, that would surely be the crux of it!!

The fact that it was a football coach responsible for the rape and abuse, at a football camp, and in a football locker room, and the witness was a football coach, and the victims were youth football players, and the first authority that it was reported to, and who failed to act, was the pinnacle of football authority in the university, makes it clearly NCAA business.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join