It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vista out the window

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
This is a piece of used crap.Actually the home basic lasted 6 years til I threw it out the window a couple hours ago.Enough is enough with being tormented with sssllllloooooowwwww crying shame.But,stupid me went back to the curb and scooped it up again.All I wanted to do was help people see asteroid.slooh.com

Now...this thing is beat up and pretty pitted.Ya right,now its moving fast.....grrrr,new puter 2morrow.

Sorry,hit the link yourself...this sucks,I tried

edit on 22-7-2012 by SarnholeOntarable because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
What are the specs of the pc you are using it on? And when was the last time you did a reinstall of the OS? Over time a lot of crap can build up and needs to be cleaned out. I use the 64bit ultimate version and haven't had any problems with it being slow.

And your link is bad.
edit on 22-7-2012 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Vista is not that bad after the updates, the problem with vista release was it was still in development when it was released AND it was put on new computers that could not handle it. Allot of people also thought that they could replace XP but most XP computers do not have the hardware to run it. Its not that bad of a operating system after the updates.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
What are the specs of the pc you are using it on? And when was the last time you did a reinstall of the OS? Over time a lot of crap can build up and needs to be cleaned out. I use the 64bit ultimate version and haven't had any problems with it being slow.

And your link is bad.

A OS reload would definitely help. Another thing to keep in mind is that Vista requires no less then 1 GB of ram to run. Microsoft claims that Vista basic will run on 512 MB. I know from personal experience any version of Vista running less then 1.5 GB/2 GB will not run well if you do anything more with the computer besides browse the web.
Ram is pretty cheap these days. If you are running a PC with Vista Basic, more then likely you will need DDR2.
Checkout Newegg.com. Ram there is quite reasonable.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I avoid windows like the plague.

Linux Mint 13 Maya Edition 64 Bit is what I use on my laptop and HTPC. My wife is using Ubuntu 12.04 32Bit though I will change her system to a 64 bit Mint installation - when I could be bothered.
....Sorry hun.

Compared to Vista, Mint and Ubuntu are lightening fast and surprisingly stable.

There is a downside though.

Print drivers can be a PITA and the bluetooth module can be glitchy if running on a laptop.

That being said, I should probably point out that I am a perfectionist when it comes to software and am probably being a little too picky when it comes to drivers, etc. I use print and bluetooth drivers/modules on an hourly basis and both are working ok for me - touch wood.

Given a choice of the different OS's & linux distros......it would be Mint 64bit for me for a desktop.

It has far more to offer than any Windows distro, as well as running faster and cleaner.

These days you can try the operating system out, without removing/altering any existing data. Just download the ISO file from and give it a go. Note that graphics card drivers will not be available until after you have installed Mint permanently(locally on a hard drive) as it requires a restart.

www.linuxmint.com...

After reading AssiduousSpook's post I thought it might be helpful to know that I am running 4GB of RAM on my Mint 64 running laptop and the OS is usually floating around the 750Mb mark for RAM in use during normal operation.... to me normal operation is running two instances of a web browser(I usually put one online game in each as they can be resource intensive), one mail program, and a relay chat program.

edit on 22/7/2012 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by AssiduousSpook

Originally posted by buster2010

And your link is bad.

A OS reload would definitely help. Another thing to keep in mind is that Vista requires no less then 1 GB of ram to run. Microsoft claims that Vista basic will run on 512 MB. I know from personal experience any version of Vista running less then 1.5 GB/2 GB will not run well if you do anything more with the computer besides browse the web.
Ram is pretty cheap these days. If you are running a PC with Vista Basic, more then likely you will need DDR2.
Checkout Newegg.com. Ram there is quite reasonable.

You make a good point because Vista is ram hungry. Black Viper This is a good site that will help in shutting down unnecessary processes that will free up ram.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

32 and I reinstalled it...D is full and c is about 50%..I run everything under the sun,even driver updates.Microsoft fixit does nil..thanks for the reply,see now its ok,and then Mozzilla mucks up and froze...

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamAssassin

Maybe that might be the way to go...I'll hold your word to it.Thanks for the incite,love lightning fast.TCOA

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamAssassin

Compared to Vista, Mint and Ubuntu are lightening fast and surprisingly stable.

There is a downside though.

Print drivers can be a PITA and the bluetooth module can be glitchy if running on a laptop.

I agree on Linux being lightening fast compared to Vista, or 7 for that matter. I install Windows software a lot, I repair PCs. Vista take forever to update, but, if you have like 3 Gb of RAM, it runs pretty good. My wife and I both run Fedora 17 86_64 KDE, she has a Toshiba Satellite laptop, I have a home built machine with Asus MB and 3 Gb of RAM. Printers are no problem, just hook it up, Fedora recognizes it. My wife's Wifi works great, all I had to do is install broadcom-wl from Yum, and a wireless connection came right up.

Installing Windows several times a week, I love my Linux machine. Boots faster, runs faster, uses less RAM, has Encrypted drive partitions and Home, runs a proxy, and hides me greatly. I wouldn't rum Windows for money.

top topics

join