It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The stunning beauty of the Mineral Radiolarians Skeletons

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

A case of Bio-mimicry.

Copy the way nature work and put it into technological terms and you have something that is... appealing to people.

Sure, there are those who mimic trees into solar panels and fish for a near-steady boat that travels in water like nothing.

Now copying the protozoan into structures, not even a earthquake can rule it, better yet, make it out of wood and the "dead" wood will grow.

This is my opinion.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

I always love looking at your threads. Whenever I see a new thread posted by you I know that it will be something informative and beautiful.

Thank you for always contributing something amazing to ATS!
Starred and Flagged!

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiberalSceptic

Originally posted by Qumulys
I'd love to replicate one of these 'skeletons' out of acylics at about the size of a large fruit bowl...

And use it as a fruit bowl!

If you can´t find the replicator to help you, I present to you, some inspiration of fruit bowls that you can buy in the store. All on this wonderfully shaped theme.

The Architect Fruit Bowl, by Gregory Bonasera.

Bubblicious Fruit Bowl of Varying Volumes of Spheres, by D-Vision.

Fruit and Peanut Bowl for Diningware Design Ideas, by Harry Allen.

Macedonia, by Janne Kyttanen.

Part of the brilliant series, Inception Collection, by duo Snapp.

Black Honey.MGX Fruit Bowl designed by Arik Levy.

edit on 22-7-2012 by LiberalSceptic because: (no reason given)

those are the most beautiful fruit bowls i have ever seen in my life. Like a work of art to hold your fruit. It makes sense to me that such shapes inspired by nature would be a perfect fit for fruit sit in. I want one.

Star for you, sir. (or ma'am.)
edit on 22-7-2012 by Runciter33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Those are absolutely amazing, thanks for posting. Some remind me a lot like snowflakes. It looks as though their process of formation has similarities to that of a snowflake or vise versa. Very interesting, love the furniture and architecture too, no doubt where some of the inspiration came from. They also look like a few of my Granny's doilies,lol.
edit on 22-7-2012 by mtnshredder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   

WOW! unbelievable, simply amazing... these are some of the word's that flourish threw my mind.

I'm sure this can have huge application in engineering (special civil engineering, at level of structures) and medicine.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Dear elevenaugust,

Thank you for posting this so that we can all enjoy it. Beautiful and amazing.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Elevenaugust (OP) and Liberalskeptic (2nd) - I don't bother with stars and flags when on my phone, because touchscreen and slow 4G networks drive me nuts (yaar!) but this time, I had to - both the mineral radiolarians and the architect's work are incredible, and I've neither seen either. The radiolarians are simply incredible, and that architecture is absolutely beautiful. Thank you both for sharing, and I agree - the architecture IS reminiscent of the incredible little guys' skeletons! They look like buildings with bones. Now off to research the architect for a future itinerary (our world travel begins when our baby and 2nd to be in the future are old enough to be at least a bit awe-inspired. I'm really excited to have some of these on our visits. As for the radiolarians, I'm thinking several choice ones on a page in a frame in my study is an absolute must.

Truly the best posts I've ever seen on the internet. Awe-inspiring on a micro and a macro scale. This thread, while not conspiracy-based, which is what draws me to ATS initially, certainly has mystery and though-provoking power to the maximum allowable by universal law
so thanks again! At the least, a welcome respite from the election-year drivel flooding the boards lately - but more importantly, fresh new knowledge for one who can still wonder and stand rapt in awe.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by bottleslingguy
how about wave propagation across a Rodin coil?

www.greatdreams.com...

Fits as well.
Really cool!

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Runciter33

A nice fruit bowl is a pretty good thing to have.
We all need our fruit and vitamins so why not show them of in a way that is pleasing for the eye.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by dogstar23

Well in that case my friend, I recommend you to go to Barcelona/Spain.
Gaudi lived there and the entire city is filled with his architecture and design. Houses, stairs, gates, walls, pieces of random artwork, etc etc. He Has really left a big impact on the city.

Remember to post some nice pictures from the trip

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Thought I would continue with something more which these Radiolarian Skeletons makes me think about.
Mechanics and watch movements in particular. I have focused on pocket watch and wristwatch movements.

Movement L951.6 with manual winding, consisting of 451 parts, by A.Lange & Söhne.

Balance wheel, pallet fork and escape wheel from a Tourbillon-movement.

Calibre 1060 ST.

Calibre 9436 MC.

The ImmenSEAty Watch Movement, by Gabriel Salgado de Arce.

ETA Unitas Calibre 6498-1, pocket watch.

Calibre 89360, by IWC.

8500 movement, by Omega.

3974 P 002 Calibre, by Patek Philippe.

CH 27 PC QI 1 Calibre, by Patek Philippe

Design Indicator with about 800 moving parts, by Porsche.

Tourbillion 600P, 177 components, by Piaget.

Tourbillon Under Three Golden Bridges, 249 components, by Girard-Perregaux

Valjoux Calibre 61.

Valjoux Caliber 72c Movement, by Gübelin Swiss.

edit on 23-7-2012 by LiberalSceptic because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-7-2012 by LiberalSceptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   

This is the most fantastic thread - thank you so much for sharing the radiolarians and starting off a wonderful exposition of the beauty of nature and the wonderful, creative side of human beings. And thanks to all who have posted all the other images too. It is a joy each time I click on here too see the new additions.

I have a series of electron microscope images of diatoms (phytoplankton, similar to the Radiolarians) framed on my wall. I never get weary of them - they remind me of what an extraordinary and beautiful world we live in, despite all the doom and gloom.

So does this thread.

Star - and I wish I could flag, but I am veeery slow in working up to my 20 posts

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by teamhair

I suggest you post some pictures that you like of those diatoms.
Of course I can just Google it myself, but it is more fun to see which ones are your favorites.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   
These photos are absolutely amazing. So intricate and full of beauty.

I can't stop looking at this one:

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by murkraz

That is a nice one of all the photos.
I would specifically like to compare the two bottom (left, right) skeletons with the revolving satellite hour and date complication in this pocket watch.

Calibre UR-10.01 Zeit Device, by Urwerk.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by LiberalSceptic

Ah - you are right - but I am also a little slow at working out how to post images

Actually, surprisingly hard to find decent pics of my 'favourites' online. My prints are all from the Antarctic and the online pics seem to be mainly technical images.
The ones below are all Antarctic species - there are others that are, perhaps, more striking but I love them not only for their beauty but for their amazing life story. They freeze into the sea ice and, as it melts each summer, they literally rain down in their hundreds of thousands - 5000 tonnes of phytoplankton - and the bloom follows the receding ice to the coast, providing the basis for the whole ecosystem to "make hay while the sun shines". Beautiful and amazing.

Source

Source

Source

Source

These ones look a little battered - but I guess so would I if I'd been around for about 125 million years (from an ice core)

Diatom Sculpture
Antarctic Heart (Virginia King)

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Beautiful little buggers!

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   

I especially like the shape in the first picture, to the right, second from the bottom and the second last picture, number 13.
No idea why, just something about those shapes that intrigues me.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join