It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The stunning beauty of the Mineral Radiolarians Skeletons

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+69 more 
posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Radiolarians are holoplanktonic protozoa, a form of plankton found throughout the worlds oceans. One of the most interesting aspects of these organisms is that they possess a skeleton composed of amorphous silica. Their skeletons take on a diverse set of forms from ornate geodesic-like polyhedral lattices, spike encrusted spheres, to other complex geometric designs...

Let's take a closer look at some beautiful pictures of these Radiolarians Skeletons...

Mixed Radiolarians in Darkfield Illumination
Source

Coloured SEM of a radiolarian, Cecryphalium sp.
Source

Replication of the SEM (scanning electron Microscope) look of a Radiolarian
Source

Christopher B. Jackson - Berne, Switzerland - Specimen: Radiolarian skeleton. Radiolarians are single-cell protozoa with intricate mineral skeletons. Technique: Brightfield imaging, extended depth of field
Source

Photomicrograph of radiolarians taken at X1500 by using a scanning electron microscope.
Source

German biologist, naturalist, philosopher, physician, professor and artist Ernst Haeckel (1834-1919) focus for many years was an intricate, single-celled organism known as a Radiolarian. In his initial work with them, he found, named and depicted over 150 diverse species. He would go on to document thousands more...

These are the 35 copper plates that accompanied Ernst Haeckel's Radiolaria book from 1862.
This volume has kindly been provided by Prof. Dr. Peter von Sengbusch (Institut für allgemeine Botanik, Hamburg, Germany).

The 35 plates were scanned by Kurt Stüber using a Hewlett Packard ScanJet 6100C flat bed scanner. Earch plate was scanned twice: 1. using 100 dpi resolution and 2. using 300 dpi resolution, since 100 dpi did not reproduce all the fine details of the engravings. The size of the 100 dpi scans is about 3 MByte (uncompressed) or about 500 to 700 KByte (compressed). The 300 dpi scans range at about 27 MByte (uncompressed) or 4 MByte (compressed).

Hint: Use the 100 dpi scans for viewing in your browser. The 300 dpi scans are so big, that they probably will not been displayed by your browser. Better download them into your computer and user Photoshop or any other image manipulation program to display or print them.

Check out all the high-res 35 plates of Haeckel's drawings here
edit on 21-7-2012 by elevenaugust because: Well, I have some problem to upload all the photos, so....

+5 more 
posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

Really beautiful!
Reminds me of the architect Antoni Gaudi and his work.

Gaudi Wiki

I would have to say that it is a strongly similar pattern in the constructions.
Pretty obvious where Gaudi got his inspiration from.

Btw Elevenaugust I hope you do not feel that I am hijacking your thread with all the Gaudi info?

edit on 21-7-2012 by LiberalSceptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiberalSceptic
Btw Elevenaugust I hope you do not feel that I am hijacking your thread with all the Gaudi info?

Of course not!

Very impressive and original architecture!

Some more Radiolarians:

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
They are beautiful! I especially appreciate this one as it reminds me of the Earth and her magnetic field.

Edit: OK I think the one above me is my favorite. So impressive!

Thank you for sharing this.
edit on 21-7-2012 by Kevinquisitor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
beautiful images. thank you for posting.

Gives me hope. Even if we do mess up there will always be something to take over our role in evolution.

by the way, on the first picture, in the bottom right, is that a Dalek.

LOL

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kevinquisitor
They are beautiful! I especially appreciate this one as it reminds me of the Earth and her magnetic field.

Edit: OK I think the one above me is my favorite. So impressive!

Thank you for sharing this.
edit on 21-7-2012 by Kevinquisitor because: (no reason given)

I have to agree, on of my favorites as well.
That one reminds me of the early NASA Stanford Torus and that Space Age poster from 1959

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by murch

Ha ha you might be right about that.
Seems that most of our cool design and Sci-fi has something to do with this

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Sacred Geometry at it's finest......absolutely stunning and amazing photos. The thread was already inspirational, but how cool that sceptic would make the "leap" and think of and share some more amazing photos....I wonder if this was an inspiration for this architect ?

I'm really quite moved by this thread......wish I could find the words right now....lol....perhaps they will come to me...for now I'm just in awe......

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by LiberalSceptic

A bit off topic

That looks exactly like what the Citadel in Mass Effect 3 was based off of.

I wonder if we'll ever have cities like that.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by MountainLaurel

I absolutely think Gaudi was inspired by this.
As Elevenaugust wrote in the first info about the Radiolarian Skeletons, Ernst Haeckel (1834-1919) depicted more than 150 species.
Gaudi lived between 1852-1926, so I am sure that he must have read the books and seen the illustrations made by Mr Haeckel.
edit on 21-7-2012 by LiberalSceptic because: butterfingers

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Kevinquisitor

I am absolutely 100% sure that we will. Perhaps even not that far away.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

reply to post by MountainLaurel

I absolutely think Gaudi was inspired by this.
As Elevenaugust wrote in the first info about the Radiolarian Skeletons, Ernst Haeckel (1834-1919) depicted more than 150 species.
Gaudi lived between 1852-1926, so I am sure that he must have read the books and seen the illustrations made by Mr Haeckel.
edit on 21-7-2012 by LiberalSceptic because: butterfingers

These patterns are in every thing not just diolarian skeletons.
The 5 platonic solids.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevenaugust

Of course not!

Very impressive and original architecture!

Some more Radiolarians:

The church knows more then what they are leading on.
www.scenicreflections.com...
edit on 21-7-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Never seen anything like these little guys before!

I'd love to replicate one of these 'skeletons' out of acylics at about the size of a large fruit bowl...

And use it as a fruit bowl!

Would be a great talking piece! Thanks EA, another wonderful thread! (I bet you were always the guy to get his school projects done first!
)

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Absolutely beautiful, another fantastic product of creation that Darwinist's would call merely a fluke of nature.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Thank you so much for posting something so very beautiful on a day otherwise marred with ugliness and sorrow. I love the drawings that were posted as well. Its amazing how fractal geometry can work on such a tiny scale. Again, thank you for this.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Amazing to see that the World has even more beautiful offerings that we can't even view with our silly, useless human eyes...

Thank you,

SNF

Peace

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   

reminds me of sound frequencies

different ones have a different shape...some of which resemble the pics you posted.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Don't see how someone couldn't see all those pics and not say intelligent design. Truly beautiful and stunning.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Those are absolutely stunning! Thanks for posting those OP. I'm truly blown away and no idea such things existed.

An additional thought, man can create what he may believe to be a novel design but in fact, chances are he/she is unknowingly only copying what has already been designed in nature.

edit on 7/21/2012 by BLKMJK because: Additional thought

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join