It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ants Dying From Heat and Drought

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I kept seeing these patches of what looks like coffee grounds or very rich potting soil in different parts of my yard. I mentioned it to my neighbor and she told me they were dead ants and showed me some where they had sprayed along their driveway.

I live one county west of Saint Louis and never have seen ants die off like this.

Sorry, I'm not good with pictures. It looks like they are making little mass mounds. Crazy.

from an image search:

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

Well if your neighbour has been spraying, chances are that is what has killed the ones in your yard, they carry the pesticide on their bodies back to the nests......I doubt the ants are dying from heat and drought.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   

I'm at my girlfriend's parent's house and they have ants coming in through cracks under the doors even though they have sprayed..

They aren't coming in for food either.

Mass attack on the kitties water bowl...

Must be dryer outside than I thought.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   

I noticed a small die off in one community of ants on my property. I am convinced it was the bread they ate from the garbage can. They died right on it. I have never seen them die on bread. GMO foods? Thanks Monsanto. The ants are so important to our ecosystem in most parts of the world. We should keep insect DNA out of plant DNA. The other species of ants on my land are exploding in population. I suspect the ants pictured are just not used to hot, dry weather. California ants can't survive in my high desert plain. They may last a few years, but die out. This may just be the end of some out of state squatters not being able to handle the climate.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Argyll

They have only been spraying a couple days. I've noticed this for several weeks. Perhaps other neighbors might have sprayed. Hope you are right and its not the weather.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Thanks Monsanto, products that really kill. What are they spraying for, ants?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
In dry years ants can become a huge problem. Don't worry about them, they are not endangered and will return with a vengeance. You don't control them, you will be sorry.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by earthdude

This may just be the end of some out of state squatters not being able to handle the climate.

lol! Maybe so - I still see some running around.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by earthdude

Yes, they are using a multi-insect killer like Home Defense. They like to sit out and the ants come in their garage.

Every year I have to spray my small bathroom a couple times, but not this year.
edit on 7/19/2012 by sad_eyed_lady because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I am in Southern Illinois, and I had to finally break down and hire a professional exterminator They are all over my home. I have tried every over the counter product available to no avail. Like another poster suggested, I nelieve that they are after water. it has rained only twice in 2 months in my town. I have not had to mow my lawn since back in April. What a crazy year..

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
gimme ants over centipedes (gives me the heebie jeebies just to think about them) or spiders anyday.

ants are harmless and very important to the balance of the ecosystem.
edit on 19-7-2012 by Picollo30 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join