It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

George Takei's blog on the BSA reaffirmation of the ban on LGBT Scouts & Leaders

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Sorry MOD's if this is not in the right spot.

For full blog entry go here: George Takei's Blog

The words that comprise the motto of the Boy Scouts of America are words I revered as a teenager. I was a member of Troop 379 and treasure my memories of being part of that institution. But an ugly blemish remains on the BSA which I and others are determined to see removed. Earlier this week, ousted scout leader Jennifer Tyrrell announced she would be delivering over 300,000 signatures today to the Boy Scouts of America headquarters in Dallas. In a cynical move to preempt that story, the Scouts released a statement yesterday reaffirming its ban on gay scouts and LGBT leaders. The statement indicated that their committee met in secret and unanimously voted to uphold the ban. Hogwash. My sources, including ones close to the leadership at the BSA, inform me that this “vote” actually took place in 2010 and that the “announcement” is merely recycled news. Jennifer will be delivering the signatures in Dallas as planned, and the move by the BSA has not only not stopped press interest but increased it. Just this week, another LGBT individual–an Eagle Scout from Missouri, Eric Jones–was ousted as a counselor at a Boy Scout summer camp simply because he is gay. These policies by the BSA reinforce that gay people are unfit to be part of this national organization because of who they are. They perpetuate the irresponsible and unsupportable stereotype that gay people prey upon children. And they must be met with staunch resistance until they fall

Progress is not measured in days or months or even years, but in the slow and inevitable turn towards equality for all people irrespective of inherent differences which frankly in this day and age, SHOULD. NOT. MATTER.

edit on 18-7-2012 by knoledgeispower because: title correction

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
The BSA is a private group. They can choose their own members in whichever manner they desire. Deal with it.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
The BSA is a private group. They can choose their own members in whichever manner they desire. Deal with it.

yea!
Let them, yes them, start there own. I am not fond of the idea that a Sandusky wanna be is "yearning" to take my boy camping or go camping with him.

I bet the petition was explained to the people for what it truly is. Any one who signs this petition needs to also consider that their kid will be alone with men who like males. So the posed question should be more like, "Please sign my petition." "I would love for gay men to be able to take your son camping." "I bet that number would dwindle to nothing."
Honestly, (people without kids shouldn't answer) who would release their young child to a relative stranger that you only knew as a gay (same sex as the child) scout master and nothing more.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   

I agree with this, in all honesty. The one thing which I find most disturbing about homosexual advocates, is that in pushing what they perceive as their rights, they inevitably trample on the rights of others to free association; to choose who they will or will not associate with.

They don't want equality; they want homosexual social dominance. Hate crime legislation has turned gays into a more legally priveleged group than the rest of the population. The word "equality," is a euphemism in this case.

The open presence of homosexuality will change the scouts; and Takei should also be willing to face the fact that just because he might be monogamous and respectable, that certainly does not mean that all gays are.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   
DarthMuerte

Takei says:

Many well-meaning people counter that the BSA is a private organization, and as such should be able to keep whomever they want out. This is of course the same justification used to prevent minorities from eating in restaurants during the Jim Crow years. And where an organization as revered and national in scope as the Scouts maintains and defends such a policy, it sends the wrong message to our youth, many of whom already are struggling with their own sexual identity–an identity which has nothing whatsoever to do with their “morality,” but everything to do with their self-esteem and happiness. Thus, while the BSA may have the “legal” right to continue to discriminate–a question I believe should be revisited–I and others have the same “legal” right to protest the policy, till our last breaths if necessary, as blatantly discriminatory and against everything that equality in America stands for.
I agree.

Turkenstein

yea! Let them, yes them, start there own. I am not fond of the idea that a Sandusky wanna be is "yearning" to take my boy camping or go camping with him.

I bet the petition was explained to the people for what it truly is. Any one who signs this petition needs to also consider that their kid will be alone with men who like males. So the posed question should be more like, "Please sign my petition." "I would love for gay men to be able to take your son camping." "I bet that number would dwindle to nothing."
Honestly, (people without kids shouldn't answer) who would release their young child to a relative stranger that you only knew as a gay (same sex as the child) scout master and nothing more.

Do your kids go to school? Do they play sports or other extra ciricular activity? Do they go to church? Guess what!?! You could be potentially putting them in the care of a heterosexual pedophile.
How ignorant to think that homosexuality instantly means that you are a pedophile. There are as many heterosexual pedophiles out there as there are homosexual pedophiles. Pedophiles, of any sexual orientation, chose jobs where they will be around little kids.

LGBT would be good to have in Scouts and other organizations because there are kids who already know they are a LGBT and they are so lost. It would be good for them to have an adult who is LGBT to help explain what the child is going through. Maybe we wouldn't have so many kids commiting suicide because they are LGBT or believed to be LGBT.

Maybe if you guys educated yourself and met some LGBT you would see how illogical and hateful your way of thinking is.

Petrus4

I agree with this, in all honesty. The one thing which I find most disturbing about homosexual advocates, is that in pushing what they perceive as their rights....
What is perceived as their rights....I'm sorry I didn't realize another human being shouldn't have the same rights as another human being just because of how they were born. Shoot, we got to get rid of everyone's rights. *shakes head* How ignorant of you to deny another human being the same rights as another. What makes heterosexuals able to have rights that homosexuals can't have? Nothing other then a bunch of fearful and uneducated people. (when I say uneducated I don't mean you aren't educated in a school sense of a way but uneducated about the LGBT community.) Yes LGBT should be allowed to get married, should be allowed to claim estates after their loved ones pass away. There isn't a single right that the LGBT should be denied that any other human being has.

Takei should also be willing to face the fact that just because he might be monogamous and respectable, that certainly does not mean that all gays are.

Yes because you heterosexuals do such a fine job of being monogamous and respectable, ROFLCOPTER as if!!!!! Heterosexuals have done a beautiful job of ruining marriages and getting divorced left, right and center. So far there has only been 1 divorce in the LGBT community.

If you claim to be awake and are against homosexuality and making ignoarnt claims (like the 3 ppl I quoted), then you clearly haven fallen back asleep or never were awake.
edit on 19-7-2012 by knoledgeispower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by knoledgeispower

Yes because you heterosexuals do such a fine job of being monogamous and respectable, ROFLCOPTER as if!!!!! Heterosexuals have done a beautiful job of ruining marriages and getting divorced left, right and center. So far there has only been 1 divorce in the LGBT community.

How someone else behaves, has nothing whatsoever to do with how I choose to behave.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   

If you claim to be awake and are against homosexuality and making ignoarnt claims (like the 3 ppl I quoted), then you clearly haven fallen back asleep or never were awake.

You have just also given me, yet another example, of why I consider homosexual advocates to be fascist. Anyone who disagrees with you, is to be condemned.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I have never been a fan of the Boy Scouts since they would not let me join when I was a kid. I never got a reason. Just told they did not want me.

That being said, I would much rather my kids were being watched by a hetero pedo than a gay one. A hetero pedo wants little girls and I have boys. A homo pedo wants little boys and I would never allow my kids around one.

There are exceptions, but for the most part it goes like this: Not all gays are pedophiles, but all pedophiles are gay. Any man who wants a little boy is gay. Period. End of discussion. The sexual urge to be with one of your own sex is gay. Does not matter how old the person is.

Either way though, first offense for molesting a child should be immediate execution. Regardless of the sex of the perpetrator.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Turkenstein

yea!
Let them, yes them, start there own. I am not fond of the idea that a Sandusky wanna be is "yearning" to take my boy camping or go camping with him.

Seeing as Sandusky was suppossedly a "straight" married man with children, how the hell would the BSA policy to keep out gay people deter your child coming into contact with a Sandusky?

I guess it is better to leave your son with a "straight" football coach for a week than a "gay" scout leader?

Funny how the first scenario is the one where kids got molested eh?
edit on 19-7-2012 by HandyDandy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4

You have just also given me, yet another example, of why I consider homosexual advocates to be fascist. Anyone who disagrees with you, is to be condemned.

It has do with:

It is not just condemnant that gets thrown towards homosexuals.....it's also violence.

Try having to watch your back every minute of the day and see how you turn out.

Edit: Just look at the ignorant post below yours......all pedophiles are gay.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ookie
There are exceptions, but for the most part it goes like this: Not all gays are pedophiles, but all pedophiles are gay. Any man who wants a little boy is gay. Period. End of discussion. The sexual urge to be with one of your own sex is gay. Does not matter how old the person is.

WHAT???????

All pedophiles are gay?

Grown men don't molest little girls?

detroit.cbslocal.com...

timesofindia.indiatimes.com...

nky.cincinnati.com...|newswell|text|NEWS0107|p

Need more proof of your ignorance?

Get bent.......

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ookie
I have never been a fan of the Boy Scouts since they would not let me join when I was a kid. I never got a reason. Just told they did not want me.

That being said, I would much rather my kids were being watched by a hetero pedo than a gay one. A hetero pedo wants little girls and I have boys. A homo pedo wants little boys and I would never allow my kids around one.

Either way though, first offense for molesting a child should be immediate execution. Regardless of the sex of the perpetrator.

They didnt allow you to join because they time travel technology and came to ATS and read your post.

If you are unhappy with this maybe your view of the world needs changing.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

No. You are on the wrong side of history. All Americans should have the same opportunities.

You cannot discriminate against one group of people. Whats next, lets not allow blacks into the boy scouts because the BOA says so?
No. The BOA is wrong and basking in all the attention they are getting for once.

Everyone knows the girl scouts are better, due to all the cookies. The boy scouts are bitter.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Here is my opinion on this. I was a Boy Scout as well as ran a Scout troop for 12 years. I do not agree with a woman being a "Boy Scout" leader or a girl being a "Boy Scout". It is a private Christian organization where boys are tought to be responsible self reliant men. How can a woman teach this to a boy? How can a girl become this? A woman should not be alone in the woods with boys, and likewise a homosexual should not be either. A boy Scout has to recite an oath for duty to God and Country, how can a homosexual recite this oath and remain homosexual?
If they don't like it then let them start their own group for homosexuals. Plain and simple.
By they way, ya know you never see heterosexuals pissing and moaning to join homosexual groups......... Why do you think that is? I am tired of homosexuals pushing their immoral, unnatural agenda onto me and my children.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by InhaleExhale

Your support of the group that is singlehandedly destroying the moral thread of society should be changed perhaps.
There are several reasons for a child to be rejected but the most common would be age requirements. The BSA have been around for well over a century and have had rules and regulations in place since the beginning. Homosexuals are looking for the billions of heterosexuals to change their rules and beliefs to accomodate them instead of them trying to evaluate themselves and follow the rules.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Christian Voice
A woman should not be alone in the woods with boys, and likewise a homosexual should not be either.

You know.....even in football camp, boys get molested by "straight" football coaches.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by HandyDandy

No they do not. If they are molested by another man then the man is homosexual, plain and simple. Bisexual just means that you are homosexual as well as heterosexual and thats ridiculous. You are either homosexual or not. If a man achieves sexual satisfaction from another man or boy then he is homosexual not straight as you put it. Sandusky was not straight, he was hiding his perversion behind a heterosexual marriage.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Christian Voice
reply to post by HandyDandy

No they do not. If they are molested by another man then the man is homosexual, plain and simple. Bisexual just means that you are homosexual as well as heterosexual and thats ridiculous. You are either homosexual or not. If a man achieves sexual satisfaction from another man or boy then he is homosexual not straight as you put it. Sandusky was not straight, he was hiding his perversion behind a heterosexual marriage.

And how does the BSA not allowing gay people in going to stop the Sanduskys of the world?

As you yourself state...he hid behind the heterosexual marriage........and could have easily been your son's boy scout leader.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Here's what I think. I think they should remove that ban completely. That way all kinds of freaks and pedophiles will become scout leaders. And you know how they love lady boys right? well a nice boy scout I'm sure would suit them just fine. Ya so remove the ban. Then be sure to send your kid to the BSA asap. And make sure they get placed under one of the new scout leaders that's gay okay. lol

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

Better yet. Send your boy to football camp.

He can just as easily be molested there.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join