It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another big solar blast, this one will only partially effect Earth. Happening now

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
It appears that a long duration flare is in progress as the Solar X-Ray levels are slowly nearing the M1.0 level. A bright CME plasma cloud looks to be lifting off the southwest limb. More updates to follow.

This sunspot is on the southwest limb so it will probably only have a glancing blow effect if any. But yet again solar cycle 24 is heating up.

Solarham.com

edit on 17-7-2012 by R6A6W6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Those really are some of the most beautiful things to view ...when they aren't aimed at us anyway...aren't they? Sometimes I refer to a graphic I have showing Earth in relation and that's all it takes to be reminded of the unthinkable power and force behind the show.

At least this one looks like a non-event from our little rock. Nice catch! My GOES charts were still climbing when you posted.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Even though this flare wont attract the same attention as the major X 1.4 the other day. It is a very long duration flare and its got me hooked that I can watch these things happen almost live.

The other reason I thought it was worthy of posting is to get people thinking that solar cycle 24 might not be as calm and gentle as some have predicted. As even in cycles where the sunspot count is reasonably low, sunspots have been known to produce some of the biggest flares in times of low solar activity.

Those really are some of the most beautiful things to view ...when they aren't aimed at us anyway...aren't they?

Yes I think so

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by R6A6W6

Do we really need a new thread for every flare that occurs?

Anything over X1 fine but this one is barely an M class...

edit on 17/7/12 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by R6A6W6

Do we really need a new thread for every flare that occurs?

Anything over X1 fine but this one is barely an M class...

I agree its not an Earth killer or anything, but as I said above, its happening now and I'm just trying to open up peoples minds a bit. I give up on posting these things now anyway. Next time someone else can post it and I'll just sit back and pick it to pieces lol

Also its duration is unusually long, geez

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

But yet again solar cycle 24 is heating up.

Solar activity in SC24 has been very low. Reaching solar max you should see much more activity and sunspots.
Compared to previous cycles i'd say it's gonna be a quite 24.
Or there is something else happening that we are not yet aware of or don't have the knowledge for it.
www.solen.info...
edit on 17-7-2012 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by intergalactic fire

The current cycle is now not expected to peak until 2013 - 2014, making it even more of an unusual cycle. Its not always 11 years exactly between cycles and never has been.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Stopped, leveled out and back on the rise. Could get interesting.

Not earth directed though.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by R6A6W6

off course it itsn't exact 11 years, that would be a dream right. SC23 began in may 1996, it's max was in July 2000 and ended in december 2008. Normally it takes around 4 years from beginning to solar max.
In dec 2012 it will be 4 years.

The shortest recorded cycle was only 9 years and the longest was 13.7 years. çit's been just over twelve years from the last SC's peak, so we still have time

Still it will be a cycle with low activity. I don't say it's not normal.
Let's wait what the future will bring.

new topics

top topics

join