It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Experience 7 mins of terror as the latests Mars Rover lands on Mars.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
edit on 5-8-2012 by nobodysavedme because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Wow, absolutely fascinating. Thank you for sharing. Hope you get mega attention on this thread.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

apparently a curved self opening enclosure is beyond man's wit.

i wonder how all those curved aeroplanes are made.

seen origami shapes?

it is very annoying to see the word terror being hijacked.

trying to associate with terrorists ploy.

and it has worked.every article is about 7 minutes of terror for months now.

everything is terror now.

going to the toilet is 5 minutes of terror.
standing in line is a minutes terror.

driving home on a busy road is sheer terror.

everyone can now relate to the word terror.

it is all about terror.

I PITY THE POOR 9/11 VICTIMS OF TERROR.

THEY WERE ONLY GOING ON THEIR WAY TO WORK.

WHEN TERROR STRUCK.

amazing how the 3500 9/11 millionaire victims have been turned into ****ing saints and used to justify suppression, repression and apprehension everywhere.

"I have to keep reminding myself to keep breathing," said JPL engineer Steve Sell, who helped develop the mission's complicated landing system..."

of course he should be worried.

he will have a lot to answer for if it flops.

fingers crossed it will work.

So STEVEN SELL is the guy responsible for this landing lunacy.

no wonder with a name like SELL they bought it.

edit on 5-8-2012 by nobodysavedme because: terror

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by nobodysavedme
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

apparently a curved self opening enclosure is beyond man's wit....

I thought you said that the panels of the cover would double as a ramp in your design? I suppose a curved panel could some become a ramp, but, again, your landing method is getting as relatively complex as the sky-crane method.

Either way, another danger of your "box-like covering" is that the whole craft is so heavy (the heaviest craft that has ever attempted a landing on Mars -- 10 times heavier than Opportunity or Spirit) that the engines required to bring it down softly are very powerful. If those engines are close to the ground, a lot of soil and rocks would be kicked up. I understand that your box design would protect the rover, but what protects the box? Dirt and rocks could interfere with the proper opening of the panels of that box....

...and that is one major reason for keeping the engine thruster assembly 25 feet off of the ground.

edit on 8/5/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Honestly, i don't see THIS mission more "risky" than any other missions before - there is always factors where something can go wrong. I remember one of the last missions where they slammed the probe on the surface and it then bounced on those inflatable balloon things until it came to a stop - hardly "more safe" if i look at it from a "non expert" perspective.

I am pretty confident that they planned this very well and know why and what they are doing - but of course there will always be some remaining risk.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Well it landed safely.
www.yahoo.de

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Great thread guys, Im glad it was a succeful mission and heres hoping we get the data NASA is looking for.
I was enjoying the debate about the technical side weather the Curiousity will be a wash out due to the complex side off things during the landing.

All i can say its not really that complex when you compare it to the old style UAV "Midge Drone system" used by many forces during the Cold war and GW1, Manufactured in Canada it was a preprogramable module that fitted in the nose canard and manovered the Drone through the front fins to the set programed route.

It had 16 turns over a 50Km area taking up to 20 burst photographs at any preplotted location, Then returning to the launch area for self recovery, It turns up side down then deploys landing bags/Parachute for safe extraction of the film.

The point im trying to get across is it was done by a little green box in the nose cone and it was nothing more complicated than springs and small watch like sprockets on set timings sending electricl commands to the nose fins. Just my Bobs worth.

And heres my credentials.. (Well 90% not that bad ) lol.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join