It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who here has seen 'what the bleep do we know'?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
The main complaint is that the makers of the documentary seem to take quantum physics/mechanics and misunderstand and misrepresent it in order to further a lot of New Age pseudophilosophical nonsense.

That's common with a lot of people who post on ATS, as well. Believe it or not, I, of all people, had to defend science and logic from one of your fellow atheists today, lol.

Hope you're well, friend

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

I am well, thanks. It's been a while

I am noticing more and more of my fellow atheists who are irrational or at the very least direct their anger about religion at believers instead of at the beliefs themselves. It's one of the downsides of not being an organized group the way some religions are.

Overall I'm disappointed with humanity's quality of thought (or lack thereof) as a whole, me included.

This documentary is just one of many examples of the misuse or misunderstanding of ideas that are hard enough to grasp as it is. I've had people similarly tell me that quantum mechanics disproves evolution and proves their version of God and in the end they delve into the same kind of new age word-salad that the makers of this documentary engage in. I'm not qualified to talk about quantum mechanics, but I can typically spot new age woo woo from a mile away

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
I'm not qualified to talk about quantum mechanics, but I can typically spot new age woo woo from a mile away

I'm not sure that anyone is really qualified to talk about it, as least not at this point, but it is fairly easy to spot those who are least qualified. Whatever physics on the quantum level works out to be, it is highly unlikely to be the "license to do what you want" that some hope it to be.

When I get the time, I think I'll do a thread that explains why I am a theistic skeptic. That should get a few bees in the bonnet, eh?

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by willrush

Eff the haters, they were likely too busy playing angry birds on their
I-droids. This film, if you have an Attention Span, will redraw lines in your life you thought were solid. Everyone needs this film.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Without getting into my thoughts on the movie...

Although it is good to have real understanding on various subjects like quantum mechanics, I am actually less annoyed by people who think imaginatively then by those who staunchly reject all such things in the name of 'real science.' Talking about 'real scientists' is a practically meaningless statement. If YOU have some actual understanding on the topic, feel free to share. Generally, I see these people basically quoting verbatum these scientists, spitting what they say back out, without being able to actually explain it in their own words and demonstrate that THEY understand it. Repeating what others say isn't understanding. And if two people don't understand, one uses their imagination and the other repeats the so-called academics, I'll side with the one with imagination.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by antoinemarionette

I jumped into this thread just to see if anybody was aware of the extended editions as I've been thinking of buying it for years.

Anything you can tell me about it other than that you recommend it?

I enjoyed the theatrical version and it is great to watch when you need a pick-me-up.

CX

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by svetlana84
It s an interesting movie, i still do not know what to do with it.

Lol i was going to say the same thing....was watching it last night and i'm not sure i even understand it properly.

CX.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

I've watched it four times, and just now am I starting to figure out what it's all about. It's just too much info at once.

Ramtha/JZ Knight is in the movie too, and I got her book "The White Book". Very interesting stuff, but again, too much info to absorb all at once.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheJourney
And if two people don't understand, one uses their imagination and the other repeats the so-called academics, I'll side with the one with imagination.

Why side with either one? If someone doesn't understand something, how is their speculation of any value (unless for entertainment, if it is couched as fiction)? If I don't understand maths, but I imagine that maybe 2 + 2 = 5, what is the use of my imagining?

Most people don't understand this stuff because they don't try to understand it. Yes, there are a lot of maths, and it requires a decent understanding of physics, but the barrier to entry is almost always the person's willingness to do some work.

How many people watched the seven Feynman lecture videos that I posted? I'll go out on a limb and say zero. Maybe a couple of people started watching them and got bored or didn't understand something and just gave up. Why? Because this stuff is hard. Even Newtonian physics are difficult for most people to wrap their heads around, and Quantum Physics is waaaaaay harder to grasp.

People spend years and years of full time study in order to get to the point that they can say they have a decent handle on some of this stuff and can contribute something meaningful. There are no shortcuts. If you watch a two hour superficial movie that features speculation by people whose expertise is not physics, you're going to walk away with a superficial view of that topic. Even if you watch a two hour detailed lecture by a qualified physicist who is going to walk you through what's happening in some experiment, you're most likely still going to walk away with a superficial view, because a) most likely HE doesn't know what's happening, not for sure, b) you lack the background to comprehend it fully and c) what one imagines can be done with these observed behaviours are almost certainly impractical, because of a & b.

(Kindly note that the 'you' in that paragraph is the empirical 'you', I don't mean anyone specifically.)

If one likes videos, instead of watching speculation by people who have no business speculating, here's the Khan Academy page of Physics Lessons. Sit down with those, and at the end of the day (well at the end of several days, lol) you'll have a good foundation to work from. It isn't hard, it just requires your cooperation.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

Originally posted by TheJourney
And if two people don't understand, one uses their imagination and the other repeats the so-called academics, I'll side with the one with imagination.

Why side with either one? If someone doesn't understand something, how is their speculation of any value (unless for entertainment, if it is couched as fiction)? If I don't understand maths, but I imagine that maybe 2 + 2 = 5, what is the use of my imagining?

Most people don't understand this stuff because they don't try to understand it. Yes, there are a lot of maths, and it requires a decent understanding of physics, but the barrier to entry is almost always the person's willingness to do some work.

How many people watched the seven Feynman lecture videos that I posted? I'll go out on a limb and say zero. Maybe a couple of people started watching them and got bored or didn't understand something and just gave up. Why? Because this stuff is hard. Even Newtonian physics are difficult for most people to wrap their heads around, and Quantum Physics is waaaaaay harder to grasp.

People spend years and years of full time study in order to get to the point that they can say they have a decent handle on some of this stuff and can contribute something meaningful. There are no shortcuts. If you watch a two hour superficial movie that features speculation by people whose expertise is not physics, you're going to walk away with a superficial view of that topic. Even if you watch a two hour detailed lecture by a qualified physicist who is going to walk you through what's happening in some experiment, you're most likely still going to walk away with a superficial view, because a) most likely HE doesn't know what's happening, not for sure, b) you lack the background to comprehend it fully and c) what one imagines can be done with these observed behaviours are almost certainly impractical, because of a & b.

(Kindly note that the 'you' in that paragraph is the empirical 'you', I don't mean anyone specifically.)

If one likes videos, instead of watching speculation by people who have no business speculating, here's the Khan Academy page of Physics Lessons. Sit down with those, and at the end of the day (well at the end of several days, lol) you'll have a good foundation to work from. It isn't hard, it just requires your cooperation.

Wow, is that a voice of reason I see? Such a rarity these days.

It seems almost a necessity to heed your advice and to study up on physics and quantum-physics if one feels an urge to jump into any dIiscussions regarding the universe, metaphysics, theology or philosophy, because the discussion always ends up there.

I am going to brave the Feynman lectures you posted.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

Originally posted by willrush
reply to post by adjensen

thanks!.. but what is it all about. before i go and downloading this thing to my browser

It is a series of seven video lectures on physics by Richard Feynman, one of the most engaging lecturers of our time. (Alternate versions and an article on them here.)

A person who is intrigued by the notions of quantum mechanics should take the time to try and learn what they are from a scientific standpoint.

and it should be pointed out that Feynman is beyond both genius and fringe.

his grasp of science was such that when they were passing out the dark glasses for the atom bomb test he was all:
"huh? what do i need this for?
bright lights CAN'T hurt your eyes, it's the ultraviolet that's dangerous."

and he actually watched the test with the naked eye, using the wind-sheild of a nearby vehicle as his only protection [because glass is opaque to ultraviolet]

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by xX aFTeRm4Th Xx

Originally posted by chr0naut

The movie misrepresented science and physics and what various scientist and thinkers had to say.

It had almost no truth in it.

I wasted some of my life watching it.

Typical Troll Response....

But back on topic, do some digging its some pretty interesting stuff. I'm a bigger fan of the secret, same sort of stuff. But I have seen big and tangible changes by implementing some of these ideas.

Practice it, you may be astounded

Please review some history.

"Expecting" something better from life did not change the situation of the six million Jews slaughtered by the Nazi regime. This is despite the Jewish view that they were the chosen people of God and that He would protect them.

History is full of those who suffered and died with the highest hopes and dreams.

The truth is that most of those who achieve, actively do, struggle and fight for what they want.

Those who practice such "creative visualization" espoused in this film are the MSM's sheeple. Usually contributing nothing, achieving nothing.

Consume, be silent, think happy thoughts and die.

It's your choice.
edit on 18/7/2012 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Lot of nonsense (especially the Ramtha stuff) that makes people dismiss the entire movie and therefore they miss the good stuff.
www.youtube.com...
Is actually accurate. Note that it does not speculate as to an explanation. The clip only reveals the mind-blowing question, “what on earth is going on?” The clip asks questions and does not speculate on an answer. It only shows how weird quantum reality is.
Also,
www.youtube.com...
is very good. Reminds me of,
www.youtube.com...
Unfortunately, the good stuff is crowded out by new age gibberish.

edit on 18-7-2012 by wittgenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

Man such a cynic... I'm glad I don't have your outlook on everything. Your experiences have shaped you, as have mine. I have seen changes in peoples lives, other than "good feelings" by implementing the basic principals laid forth in this movie along with the secret.

Tangible, measurable changes that otherwise would not have happened. It has been proven that thoughts are frequencies, down to their core being... if you know much about string theory I shouldn;t have to say much more.

Perhaps you missed this part of the movie (Skip forward to about 0:50)

Anyway, my pizza bites are done and I'd rather eat them, rather than continue this conversation...

Cheers
edit on 18-7-2012 by xX aFTeRm4Th Xx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
What the bleep.

What ever.

Ask J.Z. KNight what the bleep is with her movie.

Maybe it should be scientology or somethiong, but the movie was good, but the source sucks dog #.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by xX aFTeRm4Th Xx
Perhaps you missed this part of the movie (Skip forward to about 0:50)

Oh, good grief... thinking happy thoughts cleans water? Even without looking at his flawed "research" (obvious flaw #1 is that he isn't a scientist,) anyone who doesn't see this as something they want to see would laugh. String theory... pah. How about some basic chemistry before we tackle string theory?

Emoto’s popularity is a sad commentary on the scientific illiteracy of our society. His work is a morass of factual errors, misconceptions, misinterpretations, metaphors, and meaningless assertions. He writes in the language of magical thinking and superstition, not of science.
(Source: Masaru Emotos Wonderful World of Water)

(For the non-"scientific illiterates" who want to see details on this nut, here's a chemist's debunking of it: Structured Water Pseudoscience and Quackery.)
edit on 18-7-2012 by adjensen because: oopsies

top topics

<< 1   >>

join