It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I HATE my cell phone!!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ValentineWiggin

I found the absolute best way of dealing with all of those exact issues! After trying a few different methods I finally found one that I liked best.

It is very simple and I am sure tonnes of people do this but... Set your ringer to silent then go entry by entry in your contacts and set their ring-tone to whatever~ So if whoever is calling isn't in your contacts then it never rings^^

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I am sorry to say that the phone isnt the problem here.

You just need to stop caring so much about what other people think.
So what if you answer a 5 page text with just 3 words?
So what if you dont reply or call back in 5 minutes?

Your friends and family EXPECT you too reply constantly, and to do it fast, because that is what you normally do.
Sure, it will be awkward for them in the beginning if you change your cell phone behaviour, but they will adjust to it eventually.

Human beeings are very good at adjusting to new situations - that's what made our species so succesfull.

So dont throw your cell phone away, dont be mad about it ruining your life. Just change your own behaviour when using it.
And then your cellphone life will be back to those good old days again in no time

edit on 16/7/12 by Tollon because: Spelling correction

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

I only keep a phone for emergencies or road trips. I used to be into texting and all that before, but I gave it all up because it's just too stressful. Everyone needs peace and quiet from time to time and it can be hard to obtain with a phone going off all the time. Most of the people contacting you aren't really your 'true' friends anyway. They say you only make a few true friends your entire life and when I see people on Facebook with 800 friends I just think to myself "how many of those so-called friends would come and tow you out of the ditch in the middle of the night".

Anyway, getting back on topic, Life's been much better since i've gotten a new phone and only gave the number to family and close friends. Maybe that would work for you? Remember, it's not about them, it's about you. I keep mine off most of the time (cancer?) and I mostly only talk to people face to face. You lose a lot of social cues and what-not when texting.

I wouldn't worry about what other people want from you, just focus on your best interests. Hope it works out for you!

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Toss that leash in the garbage. I stopped carrying a phone five years ago and have NEVER found myself in a situation where I actually needed one. In an actual emergency such as 911 or natural disaster they don't work anyway because the servers get overloaded and/ or the towers are damaged.
Most of the "conversations" that happen via a cell, whether voice or text, are pretty much blurted out since you don't have to look anyone in the eye or gauge a reaction. When people blurt stuff out without thinking about it you end up with problems like cyber bullying and sexting. That kind of stuff didn't happen in the good old days because the kid you called fat ass would start crying and make you feel bad about it.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   
I hate my cell-phone too. I kept on getting calls from the cell phone company and affiliates trying to sell me contracts and insurance. I don't buy stuff over the phone anyway - there is always red tape and I'm busy with something else and can't devote 100% attention to it.

I only got a cell phone for emergencies when I started driving.

Anyway, I changed numbers and only give my number out to a handful of people (parents, siblings and some friends etc). If you call and I don't recognize the number or caller ID thingy, then I don't answer it. My mother is horrified with this, but if it is important they can send me an email or phone the home number. If you can find my cell number without me giving it to you personally then you can use the same method to find the home number or email address.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I'm not fond of mine either.
But it's provided by work, and the agreement is, I have to leave it on.

I like using it as an mp3 player, and to watch netflix every now and then.

But when it rings it either means something is broken at work, or I have to stop at the grocery store on the way home. oh, and one more thing...A reenactment of the recent fight between my wife and her mother, I get those sometimes too.

I did have a manager that tossed his in a water hazard on the 6th hole. That must have been cathartic.
Someday though. I will own a cellular enabled slingshot.....someday.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Well written and I feel your frustration! I used to have one of those flip phones that were so popular for a while. One day I just ripped the darn thing in half--pulling the earpiece apart from the speaker and button pad. That wasn't even enough because I still felt like stamping my boots on it until it was a pile of electronic dust.

I didn't do it out of anger exactly--it just felt like something I needed to do to take better control of my life.

It was the most satisfying thing I've ever done with a cell phone

edit on 17-7-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Ah I feel your resentment, VW.

I mainly use mine to surf the web anymore.
Seems like communication is terrible on it these days.
All people want to do is text. There's no emotions behind it.
Almost robotic like, people have high expectations these days.
And if you don't instantly reply or convey enthusiasm, something is wrong.

Desperation cries from an instant gratification nation.

I too hate my cell phone but I followed along the same lines as most other posters.
I quit replying instantly and everyone got mad, but my life is way more important than a text msg.
Once alot of friends and family got the idea, they all thought I was crazy, and I laughed to myself.

By doing so,
I just silenced my phone for good and now hardly ever get bothered.

It's quite hilarious now...I have to warn new acquaintences that I rarely look at my phone.
I must tell them I am not attached to my phone, and I don't check it all the time.
True story. Most people I meet are so "addicted", they look at me like I am not part of society.
And to be honest, it's a good feeling.

Pretty soon, it will be one less bill.
Because honestly it's not that important.
My privacy is.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tollon
I am sorry to say that the phone isnt the problem here.

You just need to stop caring so much about what other people think.
So what if you answer a 5 page text with just 3 words?
So what if you dont reply or call back in 5 minutes?

Your friends and family EXPECT you too reply constantly, and to do it fast, because that is what you normally do.
Sure, it will be awkward for them in the beginning if you change your cell phone behaviour, but they will adjust to it eventually.

Human beeings are very good at adjusting to new situations - that's what made our species so succesfull.

So dont throw your cell phone away, dont be mad about it ruining your life. Just change your own behaviour when using it.
And then your cellphone life will be back to those good old days again in no time

edit on 16/7/12 by Tollon because: Spelling correction

Youve got some points here.

I think I will tell everyone what my phone rules are. I'll make my own phone etiquette and if they don't comply, no answer
Thanks for the tough love!

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by NarcolepticBuddha

One day I just ripped the darn thing in half--pulling the earpiece apart from the speaker and button pad. That wasn't even enough because I still felt like stamping my boots on it until it was a pile of electronic dust.

I didn't do it out of anger exactly--it just felt like something I needed to do to take better control of my life.

It was the most satisfying thing I've ever done with a cell phone

I've done this
Super satisfying!

edit on 13-11-2012 by chrischris because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   

I have an Android phone and use 2 applications to control my phone... the first one blocks unknown numbers from calling and texting me, I have it set up so I only receive calls and texts from those in my phone book.. no spam and no rubbish from people I don't know or don't want to talk to.

The second one controls the phones settings like a timer, so all notifications before 6am and after 10pm are muted, brightness down to 10%, ring volume down to 25% ect during week days and before 8am and after 11pm at weekends.. I can make that as complex as my life gets.

And I have let everyone know what my rules are...text me as much as you like at night but I won't get to read/respond until the morning.. and only call me if it is an emergency

Works for me... hope you find a solution that works for you

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Unfortunately i have a habit of leaving mine where i can hear it at night. I might get a call from work teling me not to work!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join