It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egyptians pelt Clinton motorcade with tomatoes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
How funny is this? As well as throwing shoes and tomato's at her car, they also shouted "Monica, Monica" at her

Back at her hotel, protesters then starting shouting anti-islamist slogans and accused the US of backing the Muslim
Brotherhoods rise to power.
See, theyre no fools, they know whats happened to their country and it isnt good.

Source

CAIRO (Reuters) - Protesters threw tomatoes and shoes at U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's motorcade on Sunday during her first visit to Egypt since the election of Islamist President Mohamed Mursi. A tomato struck an Egyptian official in the face, and shoes and a water bottle landed near the armoured cars carrying Clinton's delegation in the port city of Alexandria. A senior state department official said that neither Clinton nor her vehicle, which were around the corner from the incident, were struck by any of the projectiles. Protesters chanted: "Monica, Monica", a reference to Former President Bill Clinton's extra-marital affair. Some chanted: "leave, Clinton", Egyptian security officials said. It was not clear who the protesters were or what political affiliations they had. Protesters outside Clinton's hotel on Saturday night chanted anti-Islamist slogans, accusing the United States of backing the Muslim Brotherhood's rise to power.

edit on 15-7-2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

Well there goes that lie they have been trying to push that western 'democracy' is their knight in shining Armour.

I know Clinton is just a puppet, but she really gets me angry. She is a shinning symbol of the messed up world we live in, a living ventriloquists doll; and I don't need to tell you where the hand that operates goes in.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog
they also shouted "Monica, Monica" at her

Best laugh I've had in ages

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
She's lucky she wasn't pelted with grenades.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Who the protesters possibly represent by way of political affiliation is themselves, or a loose egyptian nationalism , linked with itself against globalist ideas and further infiltration of their country / lives . In other words normalish people for egypt ? Maybe not, just a suggestion .

Connected is this friday in syria , though it seems the lebanon is now part of syria acc/odd reporting . every friday is given a name , this w/end it was Kofi Anan Friday , or rather # kofi anan friday .
They trust him no more / the syrian liberation front / normalish folk for syria . Its because he keeps issuing 'deadlines' to the syrian govt to stop its nonsense they are doing .
And they are right really . Since WHEN , was it ok , or a good diplomatic solution , to say , "you have two weeks to stop killing civilian peoples" ??
he, kofi anan, may as well say , and they have recognised the fact , this friday , " have two more weeks to murder loads of people
" hence it was kofi anan friday , that'll be since when it was NOT ok re the facts

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk

I know right, I was eating when I read the article and almost choked when I got to that part lol.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I bet that didn't go down well.

unlike Monica of course.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
but i thought they wanted democracy.

oh thats right they got sharia instead.

either way democracy would have led to sharia anyhow.

good luck egypt your going to need it...

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
That old broad just gets uglier and uglier no matter what her stylist does....its the look of total corruption thats spreading across her features, like a modern day golem of power broking...the more she trips around brokering deals the absolute sick look of her turns sicker

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   

CAIRO (AP) — The head of Egypt's military took a tough line Sunday on the Muslim Brotherhood, warning that he won't let the fundamentalist group dominate the country, only hours after U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton urged him to work with Egypt's elected Islamist leaders.

Clinton's visit to Egypt underscored the difficulty Washington faces in trying to wield its influence amid the country's stormy post-Hosni Mubarak power struggles. Protesters chanting against the U.S. — sometimes reaching several hundred — sprung up at several sites Clinton visited this weekend. On Sunday, protesters threw tomatoes, water bottles and shoes at her motorcade as she left a ceremony marking the opening of a new U.S. consulate in the Mediterranean city of Alexandria.

What a mess the Obama administration has created in the middle east
news.yahoo.com...

If Clinton had any comment on the demonstration, it was not recorded. During her meeting with Morsi she mouthed platitudes about the new Muslim Brotherhood government’s looming showdown with the Egyptian military, telling the President condescendingly that reaching a mutually acceptable agreement “requires dialogue and compromise, real politics.” She also assured him that the U.S. would do everything within its power to “support the democratically elected government and to help make it a success in delivering results for the people of Egypt.”

Some Egyptians believe that Washington is promoting the rise of the Brotherhood to power.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Lady Clinton was dissrespected?! She will CRUSH them!

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I forgot to mention,

Clinton, who earlier this year certified sufficient Egyptian action toward democracy for $1.3 billion in U.S. military aid to go through

www.chron.com...

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk

As I explained on the other similar thread it merely sounds like Monica. Clearly they were shouting "mawnika" which is Egyptian for thank you. No reference to Ms Lewinsky. These are kind, generous and grateful people. They were simply saying mawnika, mawnika, mawnika (for bringing us this steaming fresh pile of democracy).

While on vacation in Egypt last month a local offered me 40 Camels for my wife. It was a good deal and if I was a smoker I probably would have accepted his generous offer.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
They are all just jealous.

'cos she has a better husband...and everything.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by KaiserSoze

As I explained on the other similar thread it merely sounds like Monica. Clearly they were shouting "mawnika" which is Egyptian for thank you. No reference to Ms Lewinsky. These are kind, generous and grateful people. They were simply saying mawnika, mawnika, mawnika (for bringing us this steaming fresh pile of democracy).

So, they are throwing shoes and tomatoes at her, while saying thank you?
I really doubt it.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton had probably thought as she amusingly stared out of the window:- ' As long as no one is hurt or harmed, it's alright, even as uncivil as it is. Can't please all. Tomatoes isn't gonna cause a dent to even the paintwork of material stuffs such as cars.

At least those protestors are free to do that today. IF they had done it to Mubarak when he ruled, those protestors would be shot dead, have their bodies hung on a pole and their families made to watch.

May the Egyptian People be grateful that the Free World stood by them in their hour of need, as it had for other arab states. Despite our differences, we all share common values and goals of human life'......

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Personally I wouldn't have wasted the tomatoes, I would have pelted her with Camel crap instead.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   

So, they are throwing shoes and tomatoes at her, while saying thank you?
I really doubt it.

They were obviously showing their gratitude by sharing their garden with her as well as the very shoes off their feet, both very common gestures of great respect throughout the region. Clearly this was a great honor and outpouring of respect for Hillary, I am rather surprised that you don't readily see it, but I am aware that may simply be due simply to cultural differences.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
So, do you suppose that if the newly elected in Egypt were to visit the US, anybody would be able to get close enough to toss things at them and then yell things like, that?

Makes you wonder who is really free, now, doesn't it?

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

There is difference between being free and being civilised.

Civilised folks will not let their anger be expressed by violent or semi-violent actions in a democracy. Only in tyrannies are violence the only way way out to seek for justice, and even then, most prefer the peaceful protest form unless forced to do otherwise. Those who make debates impossible only make violence inevitable, so goes a truism, witnessed before all humanity currently.

But for democracies, there is the court for civil cases, or the elections for political issues. Majority of Americans are civilised folks.

So too are the Majority of Egyptians. It's just a few of them who saw fit to express such anger in uncivilised ways, but comprehensible as their nation is finally transitioning from a dictatorship to democracy and rule of law, and it will take time for these few to fully comprehend their freedom and the attached responsibilities.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join