It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

does anyone know anything about a 16 pointed star?? i know it's in some sort of sumerian seal...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
i have no idea what forum to post this in.

i've done some googling but not coming up with much. i'm trying to find the meaning of a 16 pointed star. i bought a solid concrete table today and the top is mosaic and it makes a 16 point star. i'm just curious about its symbolic meaning.... if any.

any numerology fans? who also happen to know about old symbols and what a 16 point star represents?

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I first searched 8 pointed star. And found a mention of gnostic symbology and reference to venus. I did his, because I thought perhaps the 16 points was made by an alignment. Two 8 pointed stars. I searched 16 pointed stars, and got references to compass rose, and half winds. So.. Keep looking? Good luck. ...... Eta;. From wikipedia, compass rose page. "16-point roses are constructed by bisecting the angles to come up with intermediate compass points, known as half-winds, at 22.5 degress each."
edit on 14-7-2012 by Myendica because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I don't know the significance of it but I'd be interested to know

The star on the CIA emblem/seal is a 16-pointer.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by aaaiii
I don't know the significance of it but I'd be interested to know

The star on the CIA emblem/seal is a 16-pointer.
. Its a compass. On the floor of the cia that is.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Is this the type you mean or something solid looking?
edit on 14/7/12 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I think in the fourth video in the linked thread, the 16 point star is covered.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Better to watch it yourself than to have me try to explain it, because at the moment, I can't remember all that was said about it.
edit on 7/14/2012 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by pasiphae

You mean like Ed Leedskalnin's "Sweet 16"?

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
I think in the fourth video in the linked thread, the 16 point star is covered.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Better to watch it yourself than to have me try to explain it, because at the moment, I can't remember all that was said about it.
edit on 7/14/2012 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

Klassified is right. The video covers many angles, pointed stars, and mathematic intervals (prime number sequences). Much ado about a ratio found in pyramids by imposing a specific angle, etc. Interesting link, though it does draw some criticism here. It's sort of new agey. Worse...it has that music, like tah DAH: PROOF! and it's impossible to mute out since the guy's always speaking. The music keeps building and building until you realize it's time to take a break....lot's of pictures of stars inside various temples, lodges.

ETA...like Texan says...16 was brought up in the knowledge in plain sight link. It's some machine gear with a crank on it even?

edit on 14-7-2012 by davidmann because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-7-2012 by davidmann because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   

I called a friend of mine and she says that the 16 pointed star is a Freemason (Masonic) secret symbol.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
thanks for all the responses! i'm going to watch that video later.

as for the masonic symbol..... i did see that in a search.

my table is just VERY basic (probably made in the late 50's or early 60's). it's not even that noticeable right away that it's a star shape. i posted a photo of it on facebook and someone know commented on the 16 pointed star being a really good thing in numerology so that's what got me googling and curious.

i don't think my table is significant at all. i just got curious because it would be neat to have some sort of history about the design to go with it.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I know some on ATS may be tired of hearing me about this type of topic....but here goes:

Any time you look at a piece of art, a design, there is a meaning that some ascribe to shapes. The 16 pointed star could represent many things, depending on the viewpoint of the person seeing it. For example, to a person who was versed in Pythagoras theories, you might note that 16 is the upper number in his Greater Perfect Scale. A numerologist would note that it reduces to 7, and an esotericist would note that 7 is an important number in many ways, as the Mysteries are a convolution of numerical interpretations and metaphors.

If you want some real insight, read up on Pythagoras. Then perhaps some Manly Hall. Then maybe some Blavatsky, although she is specious at best.

And then ask yourself how Ed Leedskalnin and his Sweet 16 could tie in, as well. Of course, it would only be a mathematical relationship, and not a direct correlation. But if what I suggest here is true, it might give you a greater understanding If not, you will still have a greater understanding just by taking the journey.

My $0.02

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Let me get this straight.. you buy a table, think its interesting, don't post a picture of it here but post picture of it on FB for opinions, and want to know what people here think it might be? It simply means you posted the picture on the wrong website.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
I know some on ATS may be tired of hearing me about this type of topic....but here goes:

Any time you look at a piece of art, a design, there is a meaning that some ascribe to shapes.
My $0.02

Yes in many cases that is true but...

....some shapes and symbols don't have any meaning at all except to be artistically pleasing, and many symbols have different meanings to people based on who they are and their life experience, the meaning of symbols differ between periods of times and cultures. A common symbol may be simple happenstance

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by drift393

Let me get this straight.. you buy a table, think its interesting, don't post a picture of it here but post picture of it on FB for opinions, and want to know what people here think it might be? It simply means you posted the picture on the wrong website.

i think you've posted on the wrong thread and wrong forum. it doesn't really matter what the table looks like. i'm just asking about 16 pointed start symbols. i posted the picture on my facebook page to show my personal friends my pretty table and the funny story that went with it. facebook was the right place to post it. i wasn't asking a damn thing about the table on my personal facebook page.... just showing my friends. now i want to know about 16 pointed stars so i came here. a picture of it isn't necessary.

don't post snarky comments that serve no purpose other than to be snarky.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

thanks for your .02! i will look into pythagoras now.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

Any time you look at a piece of art, a design, there is a meaning that some ascribe to shapes.
My $0.02

Yes in many cases that is true but...

....some shapes and symbols don't have any meaning at all except to be artistically pleasing, and many symbols have different meanings to people based on who they are and their life experience, the meaning of symbols differ between periods of times and cultures. A common symbol may be simple happenstance

From the esotericists point of view there are two kinds of folks: the profane and the intitiate. Of course, there are various shades of grey in this black and white scheme that I am oversimplifying.

To a person who uses symbols aethetically, it is just a shape that meets a need (think "interior designer"). But to someone who "speaks the language", those symbols have true meaning. The foundations were laid in ancient times by men like Pythagoras, Archimedes, Aristotle, and Plato Of course, they didn't "discover" anything that wasn't already known to other, more ancient peoples (think Egypt)

When Alexander the Great was a youth, he was trained in the Mysteries by his mentor, Aristotle. When he went to new lands, he would educate himself along thew ay using the Mystics of each land he conquered. It was the education that was at the center of his greatness. The problem was, he was unworthy of it and used it to a negative end (Aristotle was horrified by it, and told him as much in letters). But what we are talking about is a knowledge, or a philosophy to be more accurate, that is utterly ancient. As old as man himself.

When you see a master creation, you are generally looking at the results of the knowldge of these people. They are the ones who identified the ratios in visual as well as acoustic pieces that are most pleasant and balanced. This is where our "sacred numbers" tie in (as these ratios relate back to the human body). In essense, the majority of The Mysteries is nothing more than the study of the fractal nature of reality, without understanding fractals as a specific discipline.

ETA: why is 16 so important, and so often used? I mean, not just in stars, either. But things like images with 16 steps, or 16 feathers on a birds wing, or 16 columns on a building. There is a reason Just like there is a reason why DaVinci painted The Last Supper with everyone making a V shape in the center There is a reason for it. You don't discover this reason by looking at rocks. And, since this reasoning was not ever really put on paper, you don't get it by reading books on the reading list for a history class at the local junior college. It was a guarded and protected knowledge. No, I am no "inititiate". But I understand what is going on well enough. If you look in the right places, the information IS there.
edit on 15-7-2012 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
And what does one do with the secret guarded and protected knowledge information? There is no 'magic' in numbers or symbols - other than to excite the creativity of man.
edit on 15/7/12 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune
And what does one do with the secret guarded and protected knowledge information? There is no 'magic' in numbers or symbols - other than to excite the creativity of man.
edit on 15/7/12 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

It is only secret if you don't look for it. Not quite hidden in plain sight...but still hidden.

The numbers are not magical, no. They are part of a metaphorical system to explain ratios A philosophy. Various cultures created different philosophies, and they all varied in how they were employed. Every single religion is based on the "hiding" of this information. It is why the same allegories are rehashed time and time again.

Nowadays we have science and a well developed mathematical system that is mass produced in the populace. Back then it was not quite so. And among the superstitious and shallow average human, having this kind of understanding was unusual and worrisome. Much of medievel europe is rife with killing people for espousing views that we now know as science. and it was the cause of the secrecy.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Howdy bigfatfurrytexan

How are they 'hidden' if they are known, the information about them is clearly easy to obtain having been printed in books and posted on the internet? The idea that magical or other significance was attached to some numbers, symbols or words is well known, they vary between cultures and time periods. Like religions they were an attempt to control or understand the world before science.

What value do you place on them now?

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

not much, other than trying to understand the minds that came up with them.

They were hidden via codes. Francis Bacon's writings are a good example. Ciphers.
edit on 15-7-2012 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join