It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI/CIA/etc. Using Puzzles?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
First off, sorry if this is in the wrong forum. Mods can move it as they see fit.
Secondly, I ran a few searches on here and have not found what I'm about to post. (But the search function on ATS isn't that great...)

Here's what I'm wondering: Does anyone know if the FBI/CIA/or any other alphabet agency uses puzzles to communicate with people OR find/recruit gifted cryptographers?

By "puzzle" I mean those puzzle magazines you can find with the magazines in grocery stores (ie. Dell). I think I saw an episode on the X-files a long time ago about a very young boy who cracked one of their puzzle in a puzzle book and went after him.
edit on 14-7-2012 by 08051962 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by 08051962
I think I saw an episode on the X-files a long time ago about a very young boy who cracked one of their puzzle in a puzzle book and went after him.

That might have been an X-Files episode, but it was definitely a Bruce Willis movie, "Mercury Rising".

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Hey, OP, cool thread.

Check out KRYPTOS located on CIA property, Langley, VA.

As far as i know, its never been cracked.
Edit, it has been only partially cracked. The full solution, however still remains a mystery.
edit on 14-7-2012 by W3RLIED2 because: splained

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Yes I happen to know personally they use tv and newspapers and send subliminals. I guess puzzles would be a good way of putting it. It's all america the FBI and CIA so if they have an agent around they can communicate to him using tv personalities or print form , remember its all America .

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by azbowhunter

Oh, thank you! I will definitely check it out... sounds like a fun movie!

***EDIT***
I DID see this movie. Thank you for pointing out the title to me! I knew it was X-files and something else I saw this idea presented in.

reply to post by W3RLIED2

Thank you. I actually JUST found out about Kryptos last night (probably why I was inspired to ask such a question.) How awesome it would be to solve it. (the first 3 sections have been solves... it's just the last, smallest section that is giving everyone grief. It's tough, I hear!)
But from what I've learned about it, seems like it was mainly meant for people working at the CIA to figure out. I mean... we're not even allowed to go see it.
And this woman, who is an expert an Krptos, says that there are probably clues on the grounds of the CIA hq... so if the public doesn't have access to pertinent clues... can it ever really be solves by us "regular folks"?

I will have a go at it, but I'm just an amateur.

Thanks for the replies, you guys.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by 08051962

Na, its open to any who wish to try and crack it. The entire cryptograph can be found on the wiki link.

There was a yahoo group that used to be dedicated to cracking kryptos but i think they threw in the towell around 2005. The first three solved solutions took crypto geeks almost two decades to pull... So i dont think its an easy solve. Personally ive spent many hours pouring over the encryption only being able to confuse myself.... Whatever the solution is, its hidden under at least a double cipher, probably more.

Good luck! I recomend coffee.
edit on 14-7-2012 by W3RLIED2 because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-7-2012 by W3RLIED2 because: Ipads suck, ipads suck, i pads SUXORS

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by W3RLIED2

O no, I meant the actual sculpture. The general public is not allowed to roam the grounds of the CIA compound. But we have pictures and you're right, the cipher can be found online or in books dedicated to this topic.

I will try and see if there is another Yahoo group dedicated to cracking the code. Would be nice to have some people to work with or simply to read about the already-tried methods.

And yes, coffee is good fuel. (and pizza, I hear, is brain food for nerds? But I may be wrong)

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   

LOL. Yeah you may want to try it from the comfort of your own desk. I dont recomend strolling on up to Langley HQ with graph paper and pencils trying to crack Kryptos.... You may get some funny looks.

Do a quick ATS search too, bud. I am certain there are some threads dedicated to it.
edit on 14-7-2012 by W3RLIED2 because: Last line

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   

It's funny that you have started this thread. I have been contemplating on starting one on this exact topic because of a Crypto-Family puzzle that I did a week or so ago. The puzzle is from the Cryptograms Special Summer 2012 edition published by Kappa Publications. The puzzle is on page 65.

Here is how it went:
Title - I "NV" YOU
Example - Invent

CONVERSATION
HWFQGDTBMKWF

ANVIL
BFQKI

ENVISION
GFQKTKWF

UNVEIL
LFQGKI

INVISIBLE
KFQKTKYIG

CONVINCING
HWFQKFHKFX

ENVOY
GFQWU

DENVER
SGFQGD

CONVOLUTED
HWFQWILMGS

INVASION
KFQBTKWF

Just a coincidence that it reads Denver Convoluted Invasion?
Not to mention that the key letters in the puzzle are coded with the letters FQ. Think about that. Is it telling us that we're screwed?

Then, on page 45 of the same book, the Crypto-Clans 4 has three consecutive puzzles along the bottom row. Their titles and examples seem oddly connected and are as follows:

LOOK INTO IT
Example: Probe

A, B, AND C
Example: Abduct

LOSING IT
Example: Keys

I'm probably seeing more than there is, but these puzzles' hints, examples, and answers struck me as strange.
I hope this post helps.
edit on 14-7-2012 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-7-2012 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Supposedly there was a crossword puzzle that came out before D-Day WWII that caused a scare regarding coded messages.

The crossword panic of 1944

From what I gather it was just coincidence.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

Oh my, that is pretty creepy! I'm brought back to that bizarro mural they've got up in the Denver airport
And so many odd/dark topics! we're all used to the usual, neutral inanimate objects (towel, sandal, ball, sand, beach, etc.) but this is ...interesting.
(I don't think you're overreacting... that would've cause me to pause and think too!)

PS: For anyone unsure about what puzzles we're talking about here's the publishers website: secure2.palmcoastd.com...

I usually just buy the variety puzzles at walmart but I'd really like to get just the Cryptogram puzzle-book... Walmart doesn't have them. I will have to order via mail order or online.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

Haven't heard of this one. Very interesting.
Thanks for the link to the article.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Thanks for not considering my evidence as too off the wall.
I also can't ignore the sequence of: Unveil Invisible Convincing Envoy.
The sequence of words makes me think of Blue Beam.
I'd also like to direct your attention to the fact that the publisher is called Kappa, which is definitely Greek. We all know how the fraternities roll, right?
Like you mentioned, as soon as I saw Denver as one of the answers, the bells and whistles started going off since it's rumored that Denver is supposed to be the new Capitol and we all know that the Denver airport has many Masonic symbols embedded in its architecture. I do believe that the Denver Airport is an underground base, but I'm unsure of what kind or what purpose it serves.

I haven't finished the puzzle book, but I work on them every night to quiet my brain and tire my eyes, so I'll be sure to post anything else that sticks out.

Thanks for creating this thead. You just never know what's hidden in plain sight.
Be well.

edit on 15-7-2012 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-7-2012 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
There are decryption challenges that are circulated at NSA from time to time, but they're generally inside publications. I sort of doubt they have ones in magazines that when you decrypt them say "Congrats, you now have a cushy GS15 waiting for you at Ft Meade" though.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Something bizarre just occured and I thought I'd add it to this thread.
Anyways, I was just doing some rearranging and came across a box of Trivial Pursuit cards. Curious, since I hadn't played it for a while, sat down and read a card. Well, after my second answer peek, I noticed that the answers on the very first card I'd chose had the words 'Never Cry Wolf' listed for two of the answers. What are the odds of this?
Not only that, but ths is how the answers on the back of the card:

Maine
Never Cry Wolf
It decreases it
Never Cry Wolf
A few days
Dungeons & Dragons

It just seems strange to me, especially after the last puzzle I posted.
Take it for what it's worth, I'm just throwing things out there.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Interesting thread. I have wondered about stuff like this. That WWII thing is fascinating. First read about that (and a ton of other coincidences) as a child.

When I look at stuff like that, I also think of more modern cases. The pilot episode of The Lone Gunmen involving a 9/11 type event, released just before the real event, etc etc ad nauseum.

I would like to suggest a metaphysical / paranormal / supernatural type explanation. Those who have read books like 2012 The Return Of Quetzalcoatl by Daniel Pinchbeck, or those who have indulged in Pinchbeckian past-times, might have a little bit better a grasp of what I'm talking about.

Many of you, I'm sure, are familiar with the word "synchronicity." It can be a fascinating thing. I can usually tell when there will be a major event in my life, because levels of synchronicity will go through the roof. If I am PARTICULARLY attuned during this time, I may even be able to pick up on little "hints" in the "code" of things to come....

I hypothesize some of us may be a little more sensitive to certain kinds of synchronistic communication from entities or forces on a higher plane.

Just be careful not to go the way of John Nash.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
An example of the kind of thing I mean above: I will be engaged in thought about a particular subject, when a line will be spoken in a television show, movie, song, radio, etc.... and the words spoken will either address my subject generally, or will LITERALLY be a specific-worded answer:

me: wondering if I should go out
song: and it's a beautiful day

me: Sometimes I think I should reconsider xyz
tv: oh, fer sure, man! Way to go!

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Great thread. I always believed that the New York Times crossword puzzle had a way of dropping hints of coming events.

Back in the fall of 1995, I remember doing a NYT xword (whatever) and the answer to a hint was Yitzhak Rabin (I did try to find the particular puzzle on-line, but I couldn't find any archives that went that far back) Elsewhere in the puzzles hints were "assassination" and "tel aviv"...approximately a week later, he was assassinated.

top topics

join