It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just the new dude

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Good day to everyone.

I have been a long time lurker of ATS forums. Many times I have wanted to chime in, to give my two 2 cents, and have abstained from doing so. Until now, that is.

My primary motivation for joining ATS officially is to clear up misconceptions, when I see them, about computers and computer security. However, I am here to enjoy the forums, make new friends, and be a generally social individual.

I do not claim to be an expert, but I do claim to have extensive experience with computers and what some would call hacking. Currently I am seeking a degree from a well known institution for Network Security. I am also working at this institution as a assistant system administrator.

Now that I have given a brief introduction, I have a question for this community. Most of the time I will find a new topic from the live page that sounds interesting to me. I will read this thread until I am no longer interested, at which point I begin browsing the quick-links on the right hand side of the thread.

Here is my question: Why do these quick-links receive a theme? Sometimes I will see nothing but posts about UFOs, or nothing but things about Monsanto, etc. These quick-links, at least to me, appear to be generated by user interaction with the topics. I find it hard to believe that, suddenly, the traffic on ATS is so directed to a specific topic that an entire quick-links category fills with a single subject.

Or maybe Im wrong. In any case, Im glad to be here officially!
ETA: You would think such a frequented website could properly escape apostrophes...
edit on 13-7-2012 by hidden0 because: Tons of backslashes eating my post to death!

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by hidden0

It's about time you joined the fun. Welcome to ATS.....

Des

JAK

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Hi hidden0 and welcome to ATS.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Welcome to ATS!

Yeah, it seems we were all lurkers at one point. Something uncomfortable about joining a conspiracy site.. But once i did, i realized people here are just like me (you too probably), wanting answers, people they can relate with, and more.

Have fun, and see you on the boards!

-alittleironic

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Thanks for the hellos

reply to post by Destinyone

You are quite the active one Destiny! I see your name on this forum more often than any other I do believe.

Anywho, after being an avid lurker here at ATS for so long I figured it is about time to give back to the community. I am currently working on a project that should encompass a wide variety of information about things discussed here on ATS. At the moment, I am currently aggregating data from the USGS website about earthquakes. I am doing this for a couple of reasons.
1) They tend to modify results at later dates - and I want to have a legitimate "original" copy of data.
2) I want a more user friendly interface for seeing earthquake data in real time (think Google Earth)
3) I want other people to be able to discuss any details about earthquakes easily, quickly, and efficiently.

I plan on adding more sources of information to the project such as volcano activity and other natural disaster data.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by alittleironic

You nailed it on the head actually. Last thing I wanted to do was sign up...It is in my opinion that if the governments of earth are monitoring anything at all, these kind of sites are prime candidates for eaves dropping. Especially considering that electronic eaves dropping can be done with minimal effort, why not right?

Then it hit me - if this site is being monitored (which, who knows really) then it doesn't matter if I sign up or not. They already know I come here daily, goti.

Goti = giggling on the inside. I rarely lol at my computer, but sometimes I do.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Then it hit me - if this site is being monitored (which, who knows really) then it doesn't matter if I sign up or not. They already know I come here daily, goti.

Goti = giggling on the inside.

Haha, never thought of that before. But you are right. I goti, when i read that. ((never used that term, hope its in the right context)).

Yea there are plenty of threads on this issue in the past few days, govment spying, undercover agents and what not.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Welcome hidden0

Be sure to try out Ask ATS with any "search words" of your choice, you will find numerous threads to choose from to add your thoughts to. Once you have achieved the minimum of 20 post replies, you will be able to create your own threads in their appropriate areas & additionally send & receive messages to fellow ATS members.

Here are some handy links to get you oriented into now becoming a valued member of ATS.

Reaffirming ATS Policies ( Please Read First )
Terms & Conditions Of Use (Please read second)
Visit here next - ATS Freshmans Forum
Index of Important ATS Related Threads
Starting a New Thread ?... Look Here First
Hey New Members!! Come here if you need advice
Easy Way to Upload Your Pics & Avatar Graphics

*** Please have fun, ATS at times is like a rollercoaster ride! But be aware if you act in an uncivil-like manner, discuss personal illicit drug usage, use profanity, troll, intentionally spread a hoax, spam, advertise and/or get verbally abusive, you will be removed off the ride by a Moderator. This is for your safety, & also for those both young and old on the ride with you.

So buckle up, keep your arms within the ride's comfort zone, have fun and "Deny Ignorance"...!

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Hey bro,

I have been lurkin or creepin these forums for a long time too, nice to see that people step up and decide to join to put some different opinions up. Hope I see you around, peace.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by hidden0

The reality is, if the "government of the worlds" at one point freak out, which they won't because of the endless amount of failsafes, they won't take you out but most likely hire you, or at the very least leave you alone, simply because you are one in 1000, or even more. Why disclose everything from the beginning and blow minds to new candidates when a candidate clearly already demonstrates the necessary background. I am not saying that everything you know is legit, it could be hearsay, and take it at face value, but the near fact that you are questioning and thinking makes you a preety damn recruit to hire, especially if they pay well and give you a meaningful position where you feel like you are contributing to the greater good.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Ugh - My internet keeps dropping and I've lost maybe 5 posts to this thread goti.

Anyways, thank you all for your warm welcome. I'm strapped in safely, and I'll keep my legs and arms inside the cabin at all times during the ride

No worries about me though. I won't flame, spam, or even get angry really. Granted I may do those things in real life from time to time...but forums are no excuse for violent behavior. This is considering we have ample time to calm down and assess our thoughts about our replies. Therefore, any act of flaming or hate is not 'off-the-cuff' as most situations, but intended and planned. In my opinion such an act is atrocious.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Yeah dude, welcome to the looney bin.

new topics

top topics

join