It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this a high temp for my computer?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   
I think some of these members on ATS has gotten my computer sick and now it has been contagious with overheating. Here's an image, is this like normal temp for the computer to run or is my computer overheating? Um, how do I change my CPU, or is it the Fan itself? Thanks.

I can tell it's abnormal, isn't it? Those numbers look pretty high.

edit on 12-7-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   
I'm not a computer expert by any means, but I thought that your pc would shut itself down if it got too hot. I had a friend with a wonky fan and it would shut down after a few minutes of start up because it couldn't cool.

Hope someone with more expertise can help you.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   
yep, that's what it keeps doing.

Only when I play certain games though.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   
149 degrees Fahrenheit seems a little hot for anything haha. I didn't know that they even got that warm. I learn something new every time I read your threads.

Good luck!

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   
My CPU under load goes as high as 40.

Remember outside temps will effect it, keep your tower well ventilated

And maybe crack it open and dust with an air can.

It's high, but again depends on machine and set up (macs for example are designed to tolerate higher operation temps. The os tolerates it better.
edit on 12-7-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 03:55 AM
link   
doesnt look too bad to me, might be worth opening up the case and giving it a clean out and making sure all the fans are working

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
I think some of these members on ATS has gotten my computer sick and now it has been contagious with overheating. Here's an image, is this like normal temp for the computer to run or is my computer overheating? Um, how do I change my CPU, or is it the Fan itself? Thanks.

I can tell it's abnormal, isn't it? Those numbers look pretty high.

I do not think this is bad for an air cooled computer. I watercool mine..... What CPU are you using? What are you doing when taking the temp readings?

Apple specs a hard drive that can be used in WinTel computers natural accept operating temp is 50 degrees. Yours are 42! My bedroom HTPC has 4 drives 1 TB n rest 1.5 TB Seagate Barracuda Hdd running 7200RPM for a total of 5.5 TBs. I need to open her and add two more with water jackets as I run my machines 24/7/365. My watercool drives run between 32 n 34 depending if I am using them transferring files etc or other Hdd intensive operations. My GPU is around 45 and 48 again depending if I am using heavy graphics vs idle and has a full waterjacket cooling all the GPU chips. You might decide to run a Zalman or Noctua after market "Quiet" but powerful cpu cooling from QuietPC.com. Their site when clicking on your country flag will move to that site to accommodate you. I have used them since they first came on line as they specialize on giving you your thinking power back by offering quiet cooling to silent that noise maker.

BTW a big thing you can do is take your computer outside (whilst it is dry n not raining) and turn on your air compressor. I have a 7 liter dive bottle with a converted regulator and hose to a gas station blasting tool. I am sure your heat sinks and fans have what I call dust bunnies that work like your house insulation ie keeping the heat in.... I am sure when you clean your system your temps should change downwards. All in house computers get a blasting every 45 - 60 days...... LOL My rads grills get filled with dust as the 3 - 120mm silent fans cooling it drives dust in to fill the top of the radiator! I can tell when my return water increases by 3 degrees its time for another blast. If you need more help U2U me.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   

doesnt look too bad to me
reply to post by Maxatoria

Wouldn't look bad for my pc running crysis2 on max everything, mught be an issue if it's simply idle...

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   
65c is ok for a hot day.

Most CPU's these days (post p4) can handle 90+c though I wouldn't be loading up anything that is running that hot.

75c - 85c are common cut-out temps (some PC's will go into a limp mode which effectively halves the CPU frequency until the temperature drops) for modern processors.

If it's giving you grief and you absolutely have to use your computer, you could try cleaning the fins of the heat sink on both the CPU & GPU. If it's a laptop....rip out the vacuum and try and clean any ventilation holes.

If your computer supports it, you might be able to change it in the BIOS.

If not...Have you flashed your BIOS since new? Most mobo's and laptops will have updated BIOS version which can better handle ACPI events.

edit on 12/7/2012 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

The CPU isn't too bad... only slightly higher than expected. I'm not really familiar with mainboard temps but it seems fairly high. The video card is definitely above average, mine sits between 30 and 40 when not under load. However, it can get up to 60 and 70 under high load, which is acceptable. Again, I'm not sure about the harddisk but it doesn't seem too bad, probably a bit higher than expected.

edit: I'm obviously talking in Celsius.
edit on 12/7/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   
All of those temps are fine, except for the motherboard temp.

Can you post details of your PC? What make/model is it (if it's store-bought)?
If it's not store bought, what's the motherboard?

I'd suspect that your motherboard has a northbridge, which is normally where the heat sensor is located. This would be somewhere near your video card, and would either be a heatsink (passively cooled) or a heatsink with a fan on top.

At 65 degrees, it's possible that either a) the fan on the heatsink isn't working anymore, or is clogged and not operating efficiently, or b) the heatsink needs to have its thermal paste replaced.

Even with all of that said...
65 degrees isn't AWFUL... it's not exactly panic stations... but it *is* too high.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Okay, I have the air compressor and will try that tomorrow. Bah.. you people are contagious with your computer.
I'll open it up tomorrow. I'm too lazy to do it right now. Meh, and here I let my sister borrow my other gaming computer. Should kick her off it.

I'll find out the motherboard brand tomorrow. I forgot what it was. I think Asus or something. I don't know.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Thats nothing to worry about, those temperatures are normal. If you start hitting 85 to 90...then you need to start thinking about alternative methods of keeping your PC cool.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Thats nothing to worry about, those temperatures are normal. If you start hitting 85 to 90...then you need to start thinking about alternative methods of keeping your PC cool.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Your cpu is fine..I run at about 45c but im running a AMD which tend to run hotter. Mother boards and graphics cards are going to run much hotter so no worries there. If you are hearing your fans getting louder that just means they are doing their job. Could be the summer heat making it work a little harder.

If you really want to get technical you can re apply thermal paste to the processor(cpu) that should cool it off a bit.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Well I do know it's a

AMD Phenom II x2 560 Quad Core

Motherboard is BioStar

meh, I have to find the specs again.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Awen24
All of those temps are fine, except for the motherboard temp.

Exactly, that indicates a bad air ventilation. The cpu should be way hotter than the mobo, in every situation. The mobo is just doing it's thing, the cpu is where it gets hot.

I'd look at different software for temp readings, check your BIOS too, for hardware monioring, see if it gets that hot, and then reboot and go into bios to see if thats still valid.

bad ventilation can cause a lot of overheating - and having an open case doesn't always resolve it. Air flow in from a cool area and out the back works best.

My mobo is always at least 15c < the cpu temps... for a quad core, at idle it's about 29-35c. even when cold, but I have crap ventilation. lol. I have a new ice cool heatsink/fan on it, which is as silent as hell which is what I like, and the temps are about the same as the stock fan/hs that came with it, but my q6600 is known to run hotter.

How many hdd's you got adding to the heat? they also need to have decent air flow to keep excess heat out.

the video card at 50c seems about right too, if it's a decent grunt card.

make sure everything is flowing ok.. if you have heaps of cables in the way, limited case area, etc, you need a good flow of external air.

edit on 12-7-2012 by mainidh because: faulty fingers make an angry mainidh

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Now you have heard everyone else allow me to second guess you and please let me know if I hit the mark. Your reasons for posting this thread is that your Temps have gone up which was why you were concerned. I believe that to be true by too many years of experience.

Yes your temps are satisfactory to almost every poster here but me which I said hover or blast those bunnies. Your fans will over time bring in the dust in the air etc and worse if your computer is sitting on the floor then I would suggest you raise it 5 - 10 inches as the fans pick up from the carpet dirt - hover around your machine on hover day with a clean hover n look at the dust your carpet is releasing. I want my computer to be as silent and cool as I can have it not in the acceptable range. So if your temps have elevated which is why this post and you see them after your blasting the bunnies drop back down then you might consider doing this cleaning depending on how much your machine is on say every 60 days. It does not take this long.

Also your temps were they recorded at peak activity or idle where your cpu is so bored its contemplating suicide LOL.... Stay in ATS leave your sister playing games.... otherwise she will come n bother you LOL!!!!

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
They all seem average or slightly above average. Either way theres nothing to worry about.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by IceHappy

When I awake fully I will operate on it.

I can stick the computer on the printer box and put the printer on the floor.

Dang over heating zombies.

Can anyone read this?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join