It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New military project to build Skynet disguised as Cloud

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
This is exactly how Skynet began as a "Global Digital Defense Network" and given command over all computerized military hardware and systems.

DOD Releases Cloud Computing Strategy

Designates DISA as the Enterprise Cloud Service Broker

The Department of Defense announced today the release of a cloud computing strategy that will move the department's current network applications from a duplicative, cumbersome, and costly set of application silos to an end state designed to create a more agile, secure, and cost effective service environment that can rapidly respond to changing mission needs. In addition, the Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA) has been named as the enterprise cloud service broker to help maintain mission assurance and information interoperability within this new strategy.

"We are moving to an enterprise cloud environment that provides tangible benefits across the department by supporting the delivery of the joint information environment, from the continental United States to the warfighter at the tactical edge. This strategy lays the groundwork, as part of the Joint Information Environment framework, for achieving cloud adoption within the department," said Teri Takai, Defense Department chief information officer. "It focuses on the creation of department core data centers, enterprise cloud infrastructure and sustainment of cloud services."

"The Defense Department is committed to accelerating the adoption of cloud computing and providing a secure, resilient enterprise cloud environment," said Takai. "This strategy will align with all department-wide information technology efficiency initiatives, federal data center consolidation and cloud computing efforts. The result of the strategy will be improved mission effectiveness, increased IT efficiencies, and enhanced cyber security."

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by cybro

DAMN YOU MILES DYSON!

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I sure do hope these people are smart enough to understand, you should never put the mass weapons in this world in the hands of any type of CPU AI.
Any system can be compromised by a dedicated hacker, or CPU hacking another system.

I really do hope the people with this kind of power will respect human nature, and keep this under our choice, our wing. And not let it get out of "our" hands.
To use these systems to lift the Fog of War is one thing. But to give it total control over real hardware and silo is a HUGE mistake.

At this point, its other people making the choice to kill and murder others.
Give that choice to AI, and its just that.. No longer our choice. The choice will be made by something that is not human, hence I think it would process all data, and find us to be the real threat.

We all know what could happen, we also do not know what would not happen.
edit on 11-7-2012 by zysin5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by cybro

From the point of view of practicality, it would be advantageous. In terms of vulnerability, the results could be catastrophic.

The advantages of such a system would be seamless battlefield analysis, deployment and control. However is such a system was to fall prey to external influences, or the birth of a sentient consciousness
, the results would be dire.

edit on 11-7-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
i'd imagine that the applications migrated etc would be of the level of the menu for tonights dinner and the ordering of brass buttons for uniforms atleast for the start so give it a few years before getting too paranoid

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
See what happens when we try to become like gods before we are spiritually aware as a world?

This. This happens. This...this can't end well.
The irony is overwhelming...
edit on 11-7-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
You are aware this is basically just Amazon EC2 or Windows Azure under a different name, right? It's just a load of server space with some VMs installed.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by XeroOne
You are aware this is basically just Amazon EC2 or Windows Azure under a different name, right? It's just a load of server space with some VMs installed.

Im no comp person.. so let me ask : Isnt this the same thing my Ipod uses and its basically a back up as well??

There is a business here in StLouis that pinged my husband to work for them that was doing stuff with Cloud.. just clouds are things of servers and the net is sky.. buncha virtual machines. This is what has everyone in an uproar??

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by zysin5

they want it hackable. its called plausible denyability so they blow up stuff say it was hackers and arrest people who had nothing to do with it. kill 2 birds with one stone.

who watches the watchmen?
who polices the police?
who governs the shadow government?

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Yes, if you like. Just the same thing as iPod and iCloud (or whatever Apple calls it), but with some fancy software running on the online storage. They might even be average web applications.

The government's doing this either to reduce costs, or because the DoD wants all its stuff in one place.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Yes, if you like. Just the same thing as iPod and iCloud (or whatever Apple calls it), but with some fancy software running on the online storage. They might even be average web applications.

The government's doing this either to reduce costs, or because the DoD wants all its stuff in one place.

The husband works for the DoD... and putting all of their eggs in one basket is typical.
With the budget cuts, the contractors are bidding for a lot less than they used to just to get the jobs.. it very well could be to reduce costs.

Thanks for the explanation. Id thought thats what it was, but didnt know for sure as some seemed so upset about it.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage

The husband works for the DoD... and putting all of their eggs in one basket is typical.
With the budget cuts, the contractors are bidding for a lot less than they used to just to get the jobs.. it very well could be to reduce costs.

Thanks for the explanation. Id thought thats what it was, but didnt know for sure as some seemed so upset about it.

I'm not in a position to say whether this is a good or bad thing, as it depends on whether the DoD's current setup is less secure than the one they're planning, plus numerous other factors. Cloud computing is way over-hyped at the moment, and it's not always a good thing.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

I'm not in a position to say whether this is a good or bad thing, as it depends on whether the DoD's current setup is less secure than the one they're planning, plus numerous other factors. Cloud computing is way over-hyped at the moment, and it's not always a good thing.

Depends on what set up youre talking about.. and there are many. Nipr and Sipr are basically un-secure when you get down to it. They run Windows on a ton of machines and have to patch 24/7 due to security breeches. Much fewer machines are linux, redhat, solaris, etc than there used to be. Its just a mess. Maybe they think cloud will be more secure.. I dont know enough about Cloud to have any idea.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Depends on what set up youre talking about.. and there are many. Nipr and Sipr are basically un-secure when you get down to it. They run Windows on a ton of machines and have to patch 24/7 due to security breeches. Much fewer machines are linux, redhat, solaris, etc than there used to be. Its just a mess. Maybe they think cloud will be more secure.. I dont know enough about Cloud to have any idea.

NIPR and SIPR unsecured? Sir, you could not be further from the truth. I would venture to say that we have quite possibly the most secure large-scale network that exists on this planet.

I say "we" because 99% of my day-to-day responsibility at work consists of working on the Navy's NIPR network.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by flyswatter

NIPR and SIPR unsecured? Sir, you could not be further from the truth. I would venture to say that we have quite possibly the most secure large-scale network that exists on this planet.

I say "we" because 99% of my day-to-day responsibility at work consists of working on the Navy's NIPR network.

Im ma'am and you dont know what youre talking about apparently. Do you know how many civs have access to both nipr and sipr??? Did you know that most of the machines arent kiosks but have disk drives and flash ports? Im guessing not.

PS.. didja know there are other networks that sipr and nipr? That these are by far more secure? Everyone on ATS thinks that sipr and nipr are something they arent and obviously have no knowledge of the other networks.
edit on 11-7-2012 by Advantage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Woot!! Goooo Navy!!

edit on 7/11/2012 by SmokeyDawn because: misquoted

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
the OP has watched too many movies, this is not controlling weapon systems.

an op having a terminator avatar - 1

same OP making a thread about something related to terminator -2

*sigh

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by flyswatter

Im ma'am and you dont know what youre talking about apparently. Do you know how many civs have access to both nipr and sipr??? Did you know that most of the machines arent kiosks but have disk drives and flash ports? Im guessing not.

PS.. didja know there are other networks that sipr and nipr? That these are by far more secure? Everyone on ATS thinks that sipr and nipr are something they arent and obviously have no knowledge of the other networks.
edit on 11-7-2012 by Advantage because: (no reason given)

Excuse me on the sir thing, my apologies

But I know very well what I am talking about, because administering the USN NIPRnet is what I do 5 days a week, 9 hours a day. The facility that I work at is not cleared for SIPRnet access, so I do not work with that at all. I am a civilian myself, as are 90% of the other people that administer the network. I have to maintain a TS clearance with SSBI in order to do my job, which I have now done successfully for 7+ years.

And yes, I'm obviously aware of other military (and highly secure) networks, but I do not personally work on them, so I can't really speak much about them and I wont attempt to make things up on the fly. What I do know is that the network that I help to babysit is the largest private network in the world, and for a network of that size, has done VERY well in terms of network security.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Well. This is a conspiracy theory forum so you are entitled to it. However you're waaaaaaaay off on the intended use of Cloud in DOD by DISA

top topics

join