It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shangri-La

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
i know there was a thread about this place already i did a search and found one back in 08 but most of the links do not work this place fasinates me i read a book written by Cyril Henry Hoskin (8 April 1910 – 25 January 1981), more popularly known as Tuesday Lobsang Rampa, was a writer who claimed to have been a lama in Tibet before spending the second part of his life in the body of a British man. Hoskin described himself as the "host" of Tuesday Lobsang Rampa. The name Tuesday relates to a claim in The Third Eye that Tibetans are named after the day of the week on which they were born anyways in his book one chapter tells of his journey through the tibettan mountians to a sacrade place deep in a valley that was a tropical climate and teaming with life forms even said he saw a yetti .
im not the kind of person who reads books i prefer to read just the most interesting parts that have been paraphrased but i couldnt stop reading it. does anyone have any real pictures or information on this place? it was also said that some of the survivors from atlantis went there any and all information would be appreciated

thanks

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
shangri la is a fantasy place. it is a "real" city i suppose...but it's spiritual significance can not be found in the physical realms.

according to rig-veda myths shangri la is the metaphorical "mt. meru" where the gods dwell. the "peak" of spirituality.

some think that ancient peoples picked shangri la as their holy place because it is on the tip of india, which might seem like being on the tip top of a mountain, since india is triangular.

over all...it is the mythical mount meru, the much more ancient and respectable version of mount Olympus.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by stealthmonkey

Shangri-la is a fictional place invented by the English writer James Hilton, in a book called Lost Horizon. It does not exist, although lots of places in Tibet are now attracting tourists by claiming to be 'the location of Shangri-la'.

edit on 10/7/12 by Astyanax because: of tourists.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

nat geo sent an expedition to the place back in 08 and found it it is in deed a real place

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Believe what you like. The facts are as I have stated them.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   

just because you state something doesnt make it fact

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Shangri-La(at least the name) is fictional and it was invented by James Hilton,as Astyanax mentioned before.The novel was published in 1933,but there was a 1922 book by the Polish author Ferdinand Ossendowski, called "Beasts, Men and Gods" describing his travels through Mongolia. In it, he related hearing of the subterranean land of Agharti beneath the Gobi Desert. In the future, its powerful inhabitants would come to the surface to save the world from disaster.

This book became very popular in Germany and it's one of the main reasons,that the Nazi party sent expeditions in Tibet to find Shambala.Shambala,Agartha and Shangri-La is the same place,in my humble opinion of course...

Beasts,Men and Gods,you can read or download the book in project Gutenberg.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Phantom traveller

ok forget about the name the place depicted in the reading that i have done does exist you can call it crap hole for all i care but people seem to believe in the names more than they do the actual places im sure it goes by many names as do the gods that way to confuse people to its location

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Ahhh....Rampa. I am a fan. I don't know if i believe him or not, but when you read much of what is in his books it is good stuff. The buddhist life, depending on the person you ask, is spot on.

RE: Shangri-La.....good luck. I would LOVE to see pictures. There was something from several years back, in black and white. Specious at best.

I would speculate that Shanrgi La is something meant more for the initiates of the Indian Mysteries. To the profane, it is just a wild goose chase. It is likely an allegory to transmit an esoteric lesson.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   

I would like to see support for this, if you have it.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Take a look at the book lost horizon by James Hilton.

Written in the 1930s by James Hilton as an escapist fantasy, the story – Lost Horizons – captured the imagination of the world and quickly became a best seller. Hilton himself claimed Shangri-La to be a fictional place, but, with the Western world on the brink of World War II, people wanted to ‘believe’ and the legend began.

He just jused that name instead of one of the other mythical places

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by stealthmonkey
reply to post by Phantom traveller

ok forget about the name the place depicted in the reading that i have done does exist you can call it crap hole for all i care but people seem to believe in the names more than they do the actual places im sure it goes by many names as do the gods that way to confuse people to its location

In case you didn't notice ,i'm all in for Shangri-La/Agartha/Shambala/hollow Earth and every other legendary land.I read everything i can find and i have a bookcase full of books about them.
The point is that those 3 names are of the same location and if you want to find more about Shangri-La you should start reading about the others as well.

This is a documentary about the Nazi expedition in Tibet in 1938,in the search for Agartha.Unfortunatelly there are no English subtitles available in the video.If you are interested you can find the subtitles onlline.

In 1938,Heinrich Himmler sponsored an expedition to Tibet lead by Ernst Schäfer and composed by several other SS scientists, officially to study the region's flora and fauna and to take scientific measurements of the Earths magnetic fields. The expedition was also sent to find traces of the origins of the Aryan race in Tibet which was where Himmler thought evidence of could be found. As a follower of the Hollow Heart theory, Himmler was also looking in Tibet for the "doors to Agharta", the mythical underground town, home of the "Unknown Masters". This film is a Third Reich era documentary of that expedition. Ernst Schäfer (1910-1992) was a famous German hunter and zoologist in the 1930s, specializing in ornithology. He is most famous for his three expeditions to Tibet in 1931, 1934-1935, and 1938-1939, the first two led by the American Brooke Dolan II, and the third led by himself under the patronage of Himmler's Ahnenerbe organization. In July 1934, during his second expedition in Asia, he met the then exiled Panchen Lama, Thubten Chökyi Nyima, in Hangzhou, China. Schäfer wrote several books, including Berge, Buddhas und Bären (Mountains, Buddhas and Bears), and helped to produce this film. Geheimnis Tibet was never released to the public in Nazi Germany but intended as a film for SS internal use only.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Check the Wikipedia entry for Shangri-la, or google "James Hilton".

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Some interesting reading on the history of the belief in this concept The Nazi Connection with Shambhala and Tibet and Mistaken Foreign Myths about Shambhala

top topics

join