It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

"Thousands May Lose Net Access On July 9th July" But has anyone seen any reports of this yet?

page: 1
0

log in

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
By now we'vw all heard of the "DNSChanger" malware but has anyone seen reports of peaple going down in there area?

"The warnings about the Internet problem have been splashed across Facebook and Google. Internet service providers have sent notices, and the FBI set up a special website.
Thousands of Canadians could be among the hundreds of thousands of people around the world who might lose Internet access on July 9.That's the day the FBI will shut down all the "clean servers" it set up to combat a massive hacking operation."

heres the link to the full story FULL STORY




posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Not heard of any yet but i'm sure there will be a few people swearing at their computers or paying someone loads to come over and change a few settings
but by now i'd be amazed if theres many computers in daily use that still are infected but i'm sure most off the support calls will be to the isp's support desks rather than to more general support sites



posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I don't know if its related, but I checked my DNS on the website thingy, and it came up with a green light....

Yay !

But, when I got home this afternoon my computer promted me to choose a browser provider (i.e internet explorer, chrome....etc).

I have no idea why it did this, it has never done it before, I just circumvented the whole question, closed the window down, and searched for IE on my puter, as i didn't know whether to trust it or not.

Anyone have any ideas ?



posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
you would not know if any one lost internet they would not be able to log on to say they lost it. If you can read this then there is nothing to worry about.



posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by dedpope
 


This is not a big deal.
In fact many a computer geek will make some extra cash fixing this.

And yes. This has been in the news before.
And I haven't gotten any calls from my friends that they can't access the net.



posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I used to work for a large ISP here in Ohio, I contacted them a bit ago to ask if they had any reports of issue and so far they haven't had a single complaint..

Last I heard there were 250,000 believed to still be affected world wide .. considering there are over 311,800,000 people in the united states.. that's a small number of people... I believe the last estimate for the US was something like 40,000 potentially infected still .. so we might not hear much at all about it..



posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by dedpope
 


Unfortunately, the people who lost their connection will be unable to inform us about it.

I'd hate to be the guy who had no idea this was happening, sitting there, scratching his .... "wtf?" LOL.



posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by solargeddon
 


sounds to me like your anti-malware software may have been ran and reset your net settings , or maybe a download had a browser included in its download, have you downloaded anything latly ?
edit on 7/9/2012 by dedpope because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
reply to post by dedpope
 


This is not a big deal.
In fact many a computer geek will make some extra cash fixing this.

And yes. This has been in the news before.
And I haven't gotten any calls from my friends that they can't access the net.


Yeah it's been known about for a long time.. virus scanners have been able to pick it up for a couple of years now ( it went active in 2007 ) ..

It's a very over hyped virus..



posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by bekod
you would not know if any one lost internet they would not be able to log on to say they lost it. If you can read this then there is nothing to worry about.
I just thought (cell phones, word of mouth ext.) lol



posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by solargeddon
 


Thats a microsoft browser choice that got forced on them by the EU competition commision via a windows update, its pretty easy just to tell it to go away and not poke its . up again see Browser Choice



posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
"Or maybe not"


Anyway, i lost power today for 3 hours, does that count



posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by solargeddon
I don't know if its related, but I checked my DNS on the website thingy, and it came up with a green light....

Yay !

But, when I got home this afternoon my computer promted me to choose a browser provider (i.e internet explorer, chrome....etc).

I have no idea why it did this, it has never done it before, I just circumvented the whole question, closed the window down, and searched for IE on my puter, as i didn't know whether to trust it or not.

Anyone have any ideas ?

Dude. Seriously? Really? Its windows. Windows sucks. It probably forgot the setting. It does this because its made by microsoft. The day microsoft makes something that doesnt suck will be the day they make a vacuum cleaner.

You probably accidently installed chrome or windows forgot the setting. Remember theres lots of lrograms that try to get you to install other bs programs.



posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mianeye
"Or maybe not"


Anyway, i lost power today for 3 hours, does that count

Stuxnet. Lmao



posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by solargeddon
 


That usually happens when you first install windows. I think Microsoft had to put a choice in due to some court ruling. Its nothing to worry about



posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
According to Swedish newstabloids it
seems as if TELIA and TELE2 customers
are having problems...Glad im not
in their net...



posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by phroziac
 





Dude. Seriously? Really? Its windows. Windows sucks. It probably forgot the setting. It does this because its made by microsoft. The day microsoft makes something that doesnt suck will be the day they make a vacuum cleaner. You probably accidently installed chrome or windows forgot the setting. Remember theres lots of lrograms that try to get you to install other bs programs.


You cant be serious.....

most of the time, the problem is between the keyboard, and the chair.


such a cliché, "hurrr durrr Microsoft sucks"

I personally use MS products, along with an unix system on my second partition, and guess what, before installing any programms, i take the time to CHECK what im doing, with caution.

And instead of being a poor representation of a redundant cliché, LEARN to use a goddamned computer.
Your brain actually is designed for something you may have forgot to use,in an era of spoonfeeding, yep, its called LOGIC.


edit on 9-7-2012 by AnonyWarp because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by phroziac
 


Actually I'm a dudette !

Oh, and no I didn't "accidently" do nada, all I have done is power down my lappy, took the kids to the park, come home, and switch it back on....Then I got the message.

It's no biggie, and my computer is fine, just thought I would mention it, because I haven't experienced this before today, and today of all days.

By the way, I like windows, anyone who wants to get snobby over operating systems, just get over yourselves, and get a life, windows suits me fine, and that is all that matters.



posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by solargeddon
reply to post by phroziac
 


Actually I'm a dudette !

Oh, and no I didn't "accidently" do nada, all I have done is power down my lappy, took the kids to the park, come home, and switch it back on....Then I got the message.

It's no biggie, and my computer is fine, just thought I would mention it, because I haven't experienced this before today, and today of all days.

By the way, I like windows, anyone who wants to get snobby over operating systems, just get over yourselves, and get a life, windows suits me fine, and that is all that matters.



your right as long as your laptop is ok now then you should be fine , windows is a good os for everyday use & as long as your ok with it then then thats all that matters



new topics

top topics



 
0

log in

join