It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Played Texas Holdem online today using bitcoins.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong

Originally posted by bhornbuckle75
reply to post by mayabong

I've got a question for you (or whoever else plays poker online).....Although I'm not a card player myself, I've always thought that half the strategy of playing Poker is trying to read the other players expressions to try to figure out if someone is bluffing or really has a good hand (hence the expression of when a good player that shows no emotion has a 'poker face')

Doesn't playing online take away that important strategy of the game?

I don't ever play to often in real life, but I got a girl playing who plays in the real world and cleans up. She is totally horrible online though cause of this reason

Yes, I'm sure it's that way for a lot of people....As someone else who replied suggested, it is apparently possible to 'read' people even online, by watching how they bet (which is something I hadn't considered) ...But I'm sure for many people it's probably easier to do this in person than online....Although I can imagine that there could be people with certain personalities might actually find it easier doing it the other way.

Still it almost seems to me that ;'reading' someone over the computer wouldn't be as much fun as doing it in real life....Though, as i said...I've never been much of a card player. I've never been good at 'reading' people in general......So I doubt I'd be very good at playing it online or in person!

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by bhornbuckle75

IMO, it's much fairer when you can't actually read people like in real life because some people are simply terrible are keeping a good poker face. With online poker it all comes down to the pure strategy and probabilities associated with the way they make their bets. It all comes down to how they play and not the look on their face. Of course I can understand the fun some people have with reading people, but I don't particularly see it as a crucial part of the game.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder
reply to post by bhornbuckle75

IMO, it's much fairer when you can't actually read people like in real life because some people are simply terrible are keeping a good poker face. With online poker it all comes down to the pure strategy and probabilities associated with the way they make their bets. It all comes down to how they play and not the look on their face. Of course I can understand the fun some people have with reading people, but I don't particularly see it as a crucial part of the game.

Good points....but then again, I suppose that reading people would be a crucial part of the game if you happen to be really good at it!

<< 1   >>

join