It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Played Texas Holdem online today using bitcoins.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
From what I understand its illegal in the US to play texas holdem online, but using bitcoins is one way of getting around this.

I think the gambling aspect of Bitcoin is what will give it some solid support in the future. I even turned a couple people onto the poker site that really have no interest in bitcoin itself, but they do love to play poker. Now they want bitcoins. Instant payout of winnings.. directly to you and not to a bank, great stuff.

edit on 8-7-2012 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
My daughter is really into this, she hasn't told
me much about it - I would be interested to
know more about how it actually works.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Yeah, I was curious as to who is hosting poker using bitcoins. So far, none of the major poker sites offer bitcoin as a deposit method (that I'm aware of).

If it's best kept hush hush then could you pm me some details on where to find it? I have a hunch but also some doubts.

Thanks

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
there is this random flip coin generator thing on TOR, that you can bet bit coins on, i believe its up to 50 btc, I messed around with that and made 20 bucks, was pretty cool.

I am a huge fan of bitcoin, anything to support the grey market.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
there is this random flip coin generator thing on TOR, that you can bet bit coins on, i believe its up to 50 btc, I messed around with that and made 20 bucks, was pretty cool.

I am a huge fan of bitcoin, anything to support the grey market.

I am also a huge fan. Definitely some hurdles bitcoin has to get through before it can be mainstream... The blockchain size is getting kinda big these days. lol

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

The blockchain size is getting kinda big these days. lol

Haha, tell me about it, it's ridiculous. Use the Electrum or MultiBit clients and you'll solve that problem. Allow servers and miners to deal with the blockchain, every day bitcoin users don't necessarily need it.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   

I've got a question for you (or whoever else plays poker online).....Although I'm not a card player myself, I've always thought that half the strategy of playing Poker is trying to read the other players expressions to try to figure out if someone is bluffing or really has a good hand (hence the expression of when a good player that shows no emotion has a 'poker face')

Doesn't playing online take away that important strategy of the game?

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I used to play with beans as a kid, I think beans are still worth more than the bitcoin.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by DavidWillts
I used to play with beans as a kid, I think beans are still worth more than the bitcoin.

That's a pretty ignorant statement. I can trade my bitcoins for cash right now and have money directly into my bank within a couple hours in most cases. I don't do it though cause the simple fact that I can gamble without government breathing down my neck gives it value.
edit on 9-7-2012 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by bhornbuckle75

I've got a question for you (or whoever else plays poker online).....Although I'm not a card player myself, I've always thought that half the strategy of playing Poker is trying to read the other players expressions to try to figure out if someone is bluffing or really has a good hand (hence the expression of when a good player that shows no emotion has a 'poker face')

I don't ever play to often in real life, but I got a girl playing who plays in the real world and cleans up. She is totally horrible online though cause of this reason

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
You can trade beans for cash, you can eat them too

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Im a huge fan of poker and while I do prefer live games due to the social side of it I play online almost everyday.

When you say "reading" its not so much about emotion or expression as it is about pattern recognition, for instance what a player does when he has a good hand, how much he bets, how quickly he does it, how he acts at different positions in relation to the blinds etc etc

I guess its what ur used to but its just as easy to read someone online as it is live if you know what to look for.

Ive just started getting OK due to some lessons from my mate who plays for a living, in the past month Ive won just over $3000 US!!!!!

In fact Im playing right now, while typing this post I won 2 games for $20

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by DavidWillts

I think beans are still worth more than the bitcoin.

Well then you would think wrong Mr. Willts.

I'd like to see you get $7 for one bean.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

Haha, that's awesome. Are you playing with bitcoin?

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

No just using Cash, to be honest Im not sold on this bitcoin thing.

Im aware that paper money is only worth something coz everyone thinks it is but at least its tangible and I can hold it in my hands.
Something flying around cyberspace seems a bit scary to me.

That said I havent really looked into it.

So with the poker do u actually play with bitcoins or you use them to purchase cash at the site?

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff

No just using Cash, to be honest Im not sold on this bitcoin thing.

Im aware that paper money is only worth something coz everyone thinks it is but at least its tangible and I can hold it in my hands.

That said I havent really looked into it.

So with the poker do u actually play with bitcoins or you use them to purchase cash at the site?

you get chips when you deposit your bitcoins to the site. Each chip is worth .001 bitcoins.

sealswithclubs.eu... is the one people are using

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

No just using Cash
So I assume you live in a country where it's legal to play online poker?

but at least its tangible and I can hold it in my hands.
Yeah, but every note you hold has a serial or number which corresponds to a computer entry somewhere. If that entry were to disappear the note would be considered a counterfeit by all banks and holding it would mean nothing. In the end the real value of the money is determined by some 1's and 0's on a computer some where.

It's no different to doing an online bank transfer, it's just a billion times more secure and much more anonymous.

No, as Mayabong explained, you simply buy chips with bitcoin. You can convert the bitcoins into cash at a later time if you wish, but it isn't absolutely necessary, because many things can be purchased directly with bitcoins these days. I also prefer to save my wealth in the form of bitcoins because Government fiat money depreciates at a stupid pace whilst bitcoins actually tend to go up in value.
edit on 9/7/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Bitcoin is actually having a nice rally lately. 8 weeks in the green, trading over 7 dollars a bitcoin.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Actually used Bitcoinfastcash or whatever its called the other day to cash out some of my bitcoins.

I sent them my coins, within a couple hours I had the money directly in my bank of america account. Pretty awesome if you ask me.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff

Im a huge fan of poker and while I do prefer live games due to the social side of it I play online almost everyday.

When you say "reading" its not so much about emotion or expression as it is about pattern recognition, for instance what a player does when he has a good hand, how much he bets, how quickly he does it, how he acts at different positions in relation to the blinds etc etc

I guess its what ur used to but its just as easy to read someone online as it is live if you know what to look for.

Ive just started getting OK due to some lessons from my mate who plays for a living, in the past month Ive won just over $3000 US!!!!!

Very interesting....So it is possible to "read" people, even over the computer, due to the way they bet? That's actually pretty fascinating....I'd never thought of that possibility.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join