It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ACLU’s new Android app lets users secretly record police misconduct

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   

A new Android application released by the American Civil Liberties Union of New Jersey (ACLU-NJ) and OpenWatch.net allows users to secretly record police encounters and automatically save their recordings to a public website for all to see.

Source

This app called "Police Tape" is derrived from some other apps and focuses on conduct and accountability of those that serve and protect.

My personal thought is that the LEO's and their guilds might attempt to lobby to add or change existing codes to make these apps some type of criminal violation so that the corruption that prevails can continue unabated.

Of course, with the 21st century and the rise of police states, any tool that empowers citizens is evil in the eyes of oligarchy rule.

I hope rather, that the app becomes a tool to insure that justice is served by all parties involved in misconduct cases, whether good or bad.

If I ever update my obsolete phone, I might try it myself.
edit on 7-7-2012 by imd12c4funn because: typo

edit on 7-7-2012 by imd12c4funn because: another typo - proof reading is probably a good thing for future posts.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by imd12c4funn

Awesome idea. Now they can't confiscate your phone and delete the video, since it will be uploaded automatically to the web.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I'll never use it, personally...my phone is 3 years old and flips open. Remember those? It sits in a drawer most of the time.

While I'm not opposed to this sort of thing, I think of the 'peoples' protesting of CCTV cameras set up all over their cities recording THEIR every move, so we just subject police to the same and that evens things out? And, recent events such as the Florida cannibal where an officer came upon a scene of a guy eating another guy's face...yeah, sometimes police use excessive force unnecessarily, but they are only human and rightly paranoid.

The police do not have an easy job and they have to answer for every move they make, never knowing what it is they will come across with every call they get.

I feel an app such as this will just lead to more "the police are all horrible and corrupt" attitudes and won't do any one any good, or justice. It will serve, if anything, to make the "well-meaning" police more docile and let criminals get away with more and more for fear of being incriminated in something, losing their jobs, etc.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Cool! You can monitor those while using the Android Apps.

new topics

top topics

join