It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is US government reading email without a warrant?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   

There are hints that it is being treated differently, however. In a landmark 2010 case, United States v. Warshak, government investigators acknowledged that they read 27,000 emails without obtaining a search warrant, violating both the suspect's privacy and the privacy of everyone who communicated with the suspect, according to Crump.

Evidence obtained during that email search was thrown out on appeal by the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, but that ruling applies only to four U.S. states.

The case opened a window into what Crump fears is a widespread practice.

Is US government reading email withoug a warrant?

I personally think that they are reading e mails, or at least having a computer program scan them, on a regular basis. I hope this is not the case, but in the "Big Brother" world we live in now, it is very likely. I'm sure the same thing goes for almost all types of communication, whether it is phone calls, or instant messages. This will only continue to get worse unless it is stopped. Unfortunately I think in is too late to stop the government from invading our privacy.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Yes. They've been doing it for awhile.

Echelon program.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

I believe 'they' do read all of our emails,I would be surprised if they didn't.
If I didn't have to concern myself with that pounding on my front door at
4:00 a.m.I would love to give 'them' something to talk about!

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

Thanks for the thread but this is very old news. Here are a slew of articles on it:

www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I figured the government has been doing what it wants in secret for quite a while now. I assume that everything on the internet and every communication with cell phones is definitely being tracked and spied on. Not too many people communicate strictly by e-mail anymore, it's all instant messaging, texting and talking.

No matter, it is all being watched. Warrentless searches have become the norm in our culture. The government has to do it because they have betrayed their own citizens, and we have now become the enemy. If they really existed to serve us, there would be no need for this. Only tyrants, dictators and fascist regimes have to spy on their own, because they know what they're doing is wrong, and like any monster, in order to survive, they have to assume that everybody is against them.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I believe that TPTB have access to very high-tech surveillance that we the common people don't even know about and of course do not have access to.

I believe TPTB have had everyone in the modern world under surveillance for a long time and I also believe that they now don't care if we know about it...because they figure...they are the ones in power...and what can we do about it.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Look up N.S.A. They record EVERY SINGLE TRANSMISSION of EVERY item, text, email, phone conversation, upload and download. No warrants used.

They make no bones about telling everyone they intercept every thing sent anywhere from the US and its locales and by every citizen. That have been doing it for years and years...

The NATIONAL SECURITY AGENCY

Google something like "NSA records all phone calls..."etc...
edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by mysterioustranger
Look up N.S.A. They record EVERY SINGLE TRANSMISSION of EVERY item, text, email, phone conversation, upload and download. No warrants used.

They make no bones about telling everyone they intercept every thing sent anywhere from the US and its locales and by every citizen. That have been doing it for years and years...

The NATIONAL SECURITY AGENCY

Google something like "NSA records all phone calls..."etc...

Did you know the NSA was originally formed to deal with ET issues?

www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Here is a sample, please go and read entire piece...there are others.The United States' National Security Agency (NSA) maintains a database containing hundreds of billions of records of telephone calls made by U.S. citizens from the four largest telephone carriers in the United States: AT&T, SBC, BellSouth (all three now called AT&T), and Verizon.[1]

NSA CALL DATABASE
(*courtesy of WIKIPEDIA)

The United States' National Security Agency (NSA) maintains a database containing hundreds of billions of records of telephone calls made by U.S. citizens from the four largest telephone carriers in the United States: AT&T, SBC, BellSouth (all three now called AT&T), and Verizon.[1]

The existence of this database and the NSA program that compiled it was unknown to the general public until USA Today broke the story on May 10, 2006.[1] It is estimated that the database contains over 1.9 trillion call-detail records.[2] According to Bloomberg News, the effort began approximately seven months before the September 11, 2001 attacks.[3]

The records include detailed call information (caller, receiver, date/time of call, length of call, etc.) for use in traffic analysis and social network analysis, but do not include audio information or transcripts of the content of the phone calls.

The database's existence has prompted fierce objections. It is often viewed as an illegal warrantless search and a violation of the pen register provisions of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act and (in some cases) the Fourth Amendment of the United States Constitution.

The George W. Bush administration neither confirmed nor denied the existence of the domestic call record database. This contrasts with a related NSA controversy concerning warrantless surveillance of selected telephone calls; in that case they did confirm the existence of the program of debated legality. The program's code name is Stellar wind.[4]

Similar programs exist or are planned in other countries, including Sweden (Titan traffic database) and Great Britain (Interception Modernisation Programme)
en.wikipedia.org...en.wikipedia.org..." target="_blank" class="postlink">http: //en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSA_call_database#Internet_monitoring

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Yes, scanning for keywords, storing and will be stored at the Utah Data Center by the NSA. Wired talks about it here. Also, with the passing of CISPA your ISP company, without warrant, has to hand over your browsing /net usage history when asked by law and/or alphabet agency.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

Yikes! I have my cellphone through verizon.

It's a good thing that I am a good girl.
I really
don't have anything to be afraid of,yet!

top topics

join