It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how will you survive?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 10:13 PM
link   
"Can anyone link me to some good inexpensive wind-powered generators
out there?"

I would really like a link as well. I want to prepare for the peak-oil situation coming up, and electricity will come very handy once its all out. I hear only Germany can really make cheap generaters, whether solar or wind, so living in America I'm out of luck.

I have twelve acres to my name, but i think in case of a disaster the largest problem is having other people coming to you. I don't even want to think about that... If you do prepare, everyone will come to you.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Perhaps practical survival skills should be mandatory in schooling. What do you think?

Yeah I think that's a great idea.

No offense people but casual camping isn't preparing you for this situation. Nor is the equipment adequate that you would take on such a camping trip. If you were a veteran back-packer that did lots of over night trips then that would be of benefit but it's still not enough. You have to learn how to create the equipment and of course what equipment you would need to make (to survive that is). You need primitive living skills. It would probably be a good idea to practice with a primitve weapon. Practicing with an escrima stick or a bo will transition nicely. I would like to point out that wilderness survival skills is different then primitive living skills. Survival skills teach you how to survive for say one week in the middle of a forest injured, until help arrives. Primitive living skills teaches you how to live like the indigenous people, indefinitely. They overlap eachother of course; both are good ^ ^

I know herbs and herbology, what to eat and what not to eat....etc....

Yes that's what im talking about. Casual camping typically doesnt prepare you with that kind of knowledge. That's a must.

I'm looking for a link to the primitive living camp I went to last year...
It was one of the more hardcore ones. It was about 3 weeks and cost about 2k. Once I find it I will post it here.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Well, luckily in my case i have been preparing ever since i was a child. i have studied martial Arts in Europe and in the states, and i have gone through some of the most rigorous training some people in the military have to go through. i do not own a piece of land yet, and even thou I still live in South Florida I always have my camping equipment ready. Since i was 8 years old i have been in some sort of camping group or another. In Spain i was taugh how to forage for food and survive on my own with whatever i could find, and in the military i learnt ways to further my survival skills more.

A friend of mine and I made a pact some years back that we would go camping and exploring every year different National Parks and other States, it is because of this and my love for the outdoors that my camping equipment is always at the ready.

Althou, i do not have a lot of food stored, except for about a month of food, and enough water stored which we rotate to last for about two or three weeks, if we ration it. This is mostly because we know that at any moment hurricanes can pass through here, and now more than ever since we are having more storms and hurricanes than we ever had before.

What i would do if things get bad down here?.. and i have a feeling that it will for several reasons and nomatter which president is elected including if the liberals or green candidates for some reason do get elected which i doubt...

I would move up north slowly with my camping gear and my family, i have several routes picked to get out of Florida and i would make my way to the western parts of either NC, SC, VA or GA, or the eastern parts of AL. If things become bad in those areas i would move slowly to other western states.

In the overall i am pretty sure I would survive as long as Florida is not nuked.

Ah, btw, i do think it is a good idea to teach survival skills in school, not only for the practical purposes but in this way perhaps more of our youths would appreciate nature just a bit more.

[edit on 14-10-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I quote Henry David Thoreau to sum up my phillosophy:

"A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can do without."

I am weaning myself as much as possible from the need to fill my life with unnecessary clutter and focusing on intangibles.

I am no longer buying into the material world but rather, enjoy
it vicariously by admiring other's possessions. I don't need to own
a house, and am narrowing things down to the bare basics.

Rather than owning 10 pairs of shoes, I'm re-training myself to be
happy with 5.

It seems the more you have, the more insecure you become.
I stock food (lots of canned goods), water and toilet paper, but am not hoarding things.

I guess I'm an idealist as I believe if such a event occured, Americans
would rally, come together and share their resources with each other, rather than alienate each other.

I have a new bicycle and two good legs for alternate means of transportation.

I am sure barter would become the way of life, out of necessity.
With a medical background, I would probably serve in some capacity treating people who were injured, if I weren't myself injured.

Keep your body and teeth maintained, have a stock of your medication on hand, and backpacks/bags to travel if the need arises.

Have plenty of first aid items, candles, lighters/matches, flashlights and
batteries, battery operated radio and enough blankets and warm clothes.

I live in Louisiana so we are used to staying prepared for hurricanes.

I have an extensive knowledge of gardening, medicinal and edible wild plants as well as outdoor survival skills, and once lived in a tent for a few months.

One should have all the basic mechanical tools, a saw, etc. If I had to, I could live in my car, if it survived a nuclear holocaust.

One should be prepared to travel light and be able to walk away from everything they own, as you could lose everything in such an event.

I've been penniless and homeless before, so I'm sure I'd adapt better than others as I've already learned some of the coping skills one would need to deal with such a situation.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join