It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

East Coast Practice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I just thought that I would say to all the east coast members out there hello, and that if you were able to keep a daily log of what you did, or how you did something to better your situation, that way to many of those younger members here, or to the newer preppers, you could give them first hand experiance as to what it was like, be honest, and truthful.

I have said for years to go out for a week with what your taking on your back, and live for the week with only what you carry out or can make/find and to do it in all four seasons, well your getting the practice now even if you all don't want to....I am not expecting many responces to this tread, cuz I figure you all can start your own treads and share the experiance with the others that are looking for help or advise.

I know some have generators, candles, stoves, fuel, water, and everything else they need, some don't....stores closed so no food to resupply, no gas stations pumping without electric, did your food spoil in the freezer, fridge?
How did you get around? walk, bike, motorcycle?
Did you need medication..asprin, did you stock enough TP?
Did the water back up in the toilets, sinks and tubs?
was the sewer system sill working and pumping?
Did the people come together and help each other or was it every person for themself?
These are some of the questions that some of the people here NEED to hear from you all, and you should be able to have hundreds of treads full of good information for those looking here.

I am just putting my .02 cents out there...never let a good training evolution go to waste!!!
edit on 4-7-2012 by saltdog because: spelling

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
You should check out bushcraft on fire I do believe, He has lots of survival vids. just use ats search.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Thanks for the info, I am always up for information, and learning, I just wanted the people dealing with the storms to open the eyes of others here and mabye help them in there planning or prepping....

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I've been prepping for a while now. I had always thought I was fairly prepared. I tried to balance out my preps, not focusing too much on one thing. I always have a supply of water, extra easily prepared foods, first aid kit, that sort of thing. When Hurricane Irene was heading my way, I made sure that I had plenty of flashlights, extra batteries, candles, all easily accessible and strategically located throughout the house. When Irene actually arrived, and we lost power for 5 days, I realized almost immediately that I was not as prepared as I had thought.

After several hours passed, I realized that I was going to lose the food in the fridge/freezer, so my intention was to cook and use that food first. (At the time, it was myself, 3 teenagers, a 5 year old, and a dog). The first morning without power, I went out and turned on the propane for my grill, threw on a pot of water to boil (must have coffee, even when the # hits the fan). After making myself a quite tasty batch of cowboy coffee, I returned to the grill with a pan and eggs. And realized that I had just used the very last of the propane to make coffee. No backup. The thought had never occurred to me. It's not that I thought the magical propane fairy would just always keep it filled up...

I had only taken out $20 cash, because I couldn't think of anything that I would have to buy. Thankfully, MRE's are one of my backup food options, and they kept us fed quite well.

So, what I learned from "practice": 1. Keep extra fuel 2. Take out more than $20 cash 3. Always eat the little gum that comes in the MREs

I'm not really the type who's gonna trudge out with my BOB and survive just for the heck of it. BUT, I think that activities like Hurricanes or even a simple camping trip are a great opportunity to see where the weaknesses are in your preps.

top topics

join