It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The doctor just prescribed me antidepressants for the first time. Advice needed. Citalopram.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Hi,

I've been feeling down and pretty depressed recently so I went to the doctor and he prescribed me Citalopram.

I've taken one and already feel shaky and a bit dizzy. I've read that the side effects get better after 1 or 2 weeks so I'll probably stick it out.

I was just wondering if there's anything people would suggest I do whilst on them? I have never been this depressed before and don't know anyone close enough who has been to ask them about it, so I thought I'd ask here to get some advice.

I've been started on 20mg, after taking only one I feel dizzy, a bit like I'm floating and I'm also shaky. I've seen online that a lot of people also have had this problem, maybe 30% say it gets better. I'm kind of worried these will make me worse.

Is there any way to try and gauge if they're working, other than you suddenly feeling a bit better?
edit on 4-7-2012 by Scope and a Beam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I am not a doctor, but I *am* on a conspiracy website.

I don't trust that stuff at all. You could very well have a chemical imbalance - hell, even a vitamin deficiency. You could have too much copper in your system (example).

There are many reasons why people are depressed - some physiological.

Doctors cost me nothing but money, and did absolutely nothing to help me defeat EBV (epstein barr virus / glandular fever) --- All I got was a lymphoma scare, and a bone marrow biopsy out of them.

So my point is, I strongly suggest you do a lot of research into any drugs you ingest. Doctors love to just hand out pills as the "heal all cure". But it is my strong belief that there are always alternative methods to dealing with illnesses; depression.

I take a lot of Vitamin C and Zinc. I drink acidopholus and take stomach flora vitamins that increase serotonin:

Serotonin: or 5-hydroxytryptamine (5-HT) is a monoamine neurotransmitter. Biochemically derived from tryptophan, serotonin is primarily found in the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, platelets, and in the central nervous system (CNS) of animals including humans. It is popularly thought to be a contributor to feelings of well-being and happiness.[5]

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 4-7-2012 by ThinkingCap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
I took Citalopram a few back and found it made me worse. What they didn't know was that I was actually suffering with mania, and it was making it worse. Bipolarity and anti-depressants don't mix.
Kicked it all in though a little while later, stopped taking everything altogether and joined a gym. I've been more emotionally stable and laid back ever since.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Have you tried exercise, some exercise that really gets your heart working is best medicine for depression, it releases all them happy chemicals into your body and makes you feel better. Antidepressants just numb you down a little and then make you reliant on something that could be cured purely by doing a few push-ups anytime you feel down. It works just need to get that blood pumping and heart racing dont become a slave to pills.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Scope and a Beam

First you should not start on the 20mg dose . You should start of half a tablet for a week and increase to a whole one after that if you feel the need to.

Personally anti depressians can make you feel suicidal. For me thats what happens. I have never taken them any longer than a few months due to that extreme side effect / So beware and follow what your thought are saying to you

edit on 4-7-2012 by Anusuia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I take Citalopram (among other things). I like it. If you are bi-polar in anyway, you'll know when you start taking this. It'll make it worse. I find its gentler than other antidepressants, two weeks of insomnia and stomach upset/yawning, then you should start to feel better.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   
In regards to exercising I managed to get to the gym once a week where I lift weights and box, this makes me feel better but it wears off literally an hour later. I used to go to the gym 5 times a week and never felt down, but now with the new job I have I can literally only make it there once a week.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Hi.

I believe in some medication, but I don't believe Anti Depressant medication will help you get better for the rest of your life, it might work for a little while, but then I believe it will make you even worse (just my opinion, I have nothing to back this up, but this is what I believe).

Like the comment above me, try excercise, I was a little bit depressed earlier in my life, but after working out a while, I felt much better, I got confident, I felt great, and when it has been weeks (or months) since I excercised, I started losing my confidence, and I started getting a little bit more depressed. Then I reach a point where I start working out with weights and running intervals, and eating more healthy food, and I feel great! I think to myself "I love my life".

Now, I work from 07:30 to 15:30 monday - friday, and I live at home, and I also have to find the time to see my girlfriend, and do whatever hobby I like + try to fit in excercise as well, it's not always easy, but I always try to get in at least 3-4 times a week, (Any more than that might get you overtrained, and your body might struggle rebuilding and recovering in between).

There will always come some periods where you feel depressed, just hang on, what comes after that period will be a lot better than before

(Also check out if you lack any vitamins or iron or anything (like the one above me here said, if the doctor have not already done so), this can also have a huge effect on your feelings, as well as what you eat, maybe you should change your food to something more healthier

I hope this helps, good luck!

|.SLO7H.|
edit on 4-7-2012 by SLO7H because: Added some info about how I try to work out even though i'm working as well.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   
I feel really worried that they're going to make me kind of loose control of myself. I've never really felt suicidal before, but I worry if these pills make me that way I won't be able to control it.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Get a good quality coffee grinder and a good quality coffee maker or even a nice French press. Find a supplier of excellent beans and you will be set. Consume excellent quality coffee all day every day. Cinnamon rolls are also necessary.

No such thing but crap coffee where I am so life sucks.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Dear friend,

If I was you I would get an advice from a Psychiatrist/pschologist and not a doctor. With all due respect but your Doctor doesn't know didly about how the brain works. I speak from experience. The shrink can help you with your thoughts. Something triggered this
In 2007/2008 I suffered from panic attacks and my Doctor prescribed sertraline (anti-depressant) and xanax. Worst thing I did in my life. Whilst taking the anti-d I felt suicidal and depressed. Go figure. I toke it for at least 18 months, all though I tried to ween off it several times. All that time I felt terrible. Only now am I finally feeling a bit myself.
Xanax is a good pick me up (works like a couple of glasses of wine without the buzz) but you can not take that for long period of time and it's even more difficult to quit so watch out with taking xanax.

Recently I found a herbal product called 'relora'. I can't buy it in the Netherlands only via internet, but it works. What I also suggest is excercise, yoga, meditation, etc. Try changeing your diet. A lot of what we eat/drink causes imbalances in our body. Stay away from food with a lot of E's, soda's. Cut down on coffee. There is a whole lot you can do before taking the drug step.

Going back to the drug, it usually takes months before it settles, your libido will go down, you will get tinitus (buzzing sound in ears) and whole lot of other great and wonderfull side effects (I had all this), for what?

I apologize if I am coming on strong about taking drugs, but boy it was the worst mistake I toke and it scarred me for life. Of course everyone is different, but Doctors should take care with this final step.

Take care and again try not to go down the path of taking drugs and see someone to talk with.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Numbers33four
Get a good quality coffee grinder and a good quality coffee maker or even a nice French press. Find a supplier of excellent beans and you will be set. Consume excellent quality coffee all day every day. Cinnamon rolls are also necessary.

No such thing but crap coffee where I am so life sucks.

Yeah and then you can replace your depression with anxiety.
Exercise and a change in diet is the best way to manage depression and anxiety.
Here is a good documentary about depression with Stephen Fry.

edit on 4-7-2012 by CallYourBluff because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThinkingCap
I am not a doctor, but I *am* on a conspiracy website.

I don't trust that stuff at all. You could very well have a chemical imbalance - hell, even a vitamin deficiency. You could have too much copper in your system (example).

There are many reasons why people are depressed - some physiological.

Doctors cost me nothing but money, and did absolutely nothing to help me defeat EBV (epstein barr virus / glandular fever) --- All I got was a lymphoma scare, and a bone marrow biopsy out of them.

So my point is, I strongly suggest you do a lot of research into any drugs you ingest. Doctors love to just hand out pills as the "heal all cure". But it is my strong belief that there are always alternative methods to dealing with illnesses; depression.

I take a lot of Vitamin C and Zinc. I drink acidopholus and take stomach flora vitamins that increase serotonin:

Serotonin: or 5-hydroxytryptamine (5-HT) is a monoamine neurotransmitter. Biochemically derived from tryptophan, serotonin is primarily found in the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, platelets, and in the central nervous system (CNS) of animals including humans. It is popularly thought to be a contributor to feelings of well-being and happiness.[5]

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 4-7-2012 by ThinkingCap because: (no reason given)

I suffered from depression for years and had been on all sorts of nasty medications and although some of them gave temporary relief it didn't help in the long term.

I then looked into 5-HTP supplements which is the compound that makes your body produce more seratonin (5-HT). I started taking them a couple of months ago and although you don't feel anything like the side effects I get with prescribed meds, I feel much much better. I am more relaxed, sleeping better & generally a lot happier.

So my recommendation to the OP is that if you find that your meds are still giving you weird side effects then try using the 5-HTP supplements as they can be bought over the counter at any good vitamin shop.

Here's a link to 150 people's experiences using 5-HTP.
WebMD

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   
i know people who take those pills, and bottom line is...that # will MAKES THINGS EVEN WORSE, you will e dependent on them for life, do not take. i was depressed once, yo get it over it. find a goal and stay motivated.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Thanks form all the advice guys, keep it coming. It kind of puts me at ease a little to get some input.

My main worry is that I don't fully know why I'm depressed. I got a job that I thought I really wanted after working hard for two years from the ground up and it turned out to not exactly be everything I thought it would be. I think this triggered it but now everything seems to be flooding in and it's like I can't close the gates.

I can't even be bothered to do things I love to do these days it's a surreal and very aggravating feeling.

As I said before, I used to go to the gym 5 times a week and never got depressed. I lived for the gym and still love to go there. I think maybe if I start jogging when I can and try to figure out a way to get to the gym more often it might help.

The things is though, now when I come out of the gym feeling great it dies off within an hour or so and I go back to feeling depressed. I have no idea how to combat this.
edit on 4-7-2012 by Scope and a Beam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I've taken these, and the first couple of times they worked, and I could come off them, the third time they didn't, but I think that was due to the thyroid problem I had at the time.

Last time I took anti-depressants was nearly 5 years ago, and touch wood no relapse.

I Have been told in the past the reason I need them from time to time is partly genetic, partly my upbringing, and partly whatever my current negative environment impact is at the time.

So basically I'm screwed !

But I don't believe that, and I fight every step of the way to overcome it all, yes I do give in to taking the tablets, but I took them as a means to an end in the relative short term, something which does help to shift my perception just enough, so that I can fight back.

Interestingly enough that last two bouts, were to do with my pregnancies, for some reason, I get depressed, with the first pregnancy they put me on citalopram before baby was born, which meant I didn't suffer after, the second time they didn't, and they wonder why I was in the doctors office six weeks after the birth !

Oh one more thing, sorry to waffle, citalopram has a weird side effect for me when I begin taking them. For the first 3-4weeks, I constantly have an........ orgasm !

Yes you read that right, whilst awake, everywhere I go, every few minutes....walking in the street, queing in the bank, eating my dinner !

As fabulous as that may sound, it got to be quite draining, but thankfully it did settle down, and disappear.

I'm sure your side effects will too OP

edit on 4-7-2012 by solargeddon because: typo

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   
I took Citalopram for just over a year.

I got all the side affects and no real benefit. The 'shakes' lasted the whole time I was on it. The only affect it had on my mood was to dull it. I felt nothing.

Nothing! No love, no hope, no happiness, no anger but a little anxiety and a little fear.

I would now only use medication as a last resort after everything else, diet, exercise routine, reading, social outings, talking/counselling, when I don't care any more if I live or die, then I will consider medication.

It sounds like you are suffering from settling in anxiety, try forming social relationships at work, a good walk everyday helps. Clears your head and produces endorphins.

Best of luck love, hang in there.

Everything is going to be alright, what ever happens. (big hug)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
My mother has been on strong anti depressants in excess of 30 years. Now she can't go a day without them. My girlfriend takes citalopram and wanders around like a zombie most of the time.I have had depression most of my life and really hit rock bottom 3 years ago when my brother was killed in an accident. I self medicated with alcohol to cope but it eventfully only made things worse. I would not take medication because of the dependency it creates. I forced myself off the drink and got back into cycling and weight training and started eating healthy. It is the only thing that works. A diet of complex carbohydrates (for stable blood sugar), lean meats and healthy fats is the best thing you can do for yourself. It takes time but it works. Good luck.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   
I used citalopram for over a year or so. It's a very good drug, well tolerable. I started with 10mg and stayed there until I adjusted to the drug (2-3 weeks), then went to 20mg.

The effects in my case were subtle in a way that I first didn't even notice much of a change, but decided to continue using the drug. Then after about 2 months I suddenly realized my suicidal thoughts had vanished, social anxiety had lessened, and I had even started to think about setting up goals in my life, felt more motivated.

This effect persisted and got even a bit better until I decided to stop taking the drug for some reason, maybe out of curiosity and because I thought I wouldn't need them anymore. I weened myself off of them in the course of a week. The withdrawal symptons weren't bad at all, only had some minor dizzy spells which lasted less than a second. These went away in 1-2 weeks.

It's now been almost 5 months since I quit, my depression & anxiety have worsened, but not to the pre-drug state though. Don't feel suicidal anymore. All in all, I think I should have continued using the drug, and possibly raised the dosage to 25-30mg.

Good luck to you, and I hope the drug will easy the pain.

Edit: Wanted to add that while these drugs can do wonders, in the end it's about your dedication too. You need to help the drug help you. So, never give up your gym practice!
edit on 4/7/2012 by Kryom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Scope and a Beam

Hi Scope. My advice is NOT to ask for advice on a website with people who have way out ideas. I am sure there will be people who offer you "advice" of what they did or what their friend did, or how bad prescription drugs are or take 3 dandilion flowers twice a day and all will be good. Please, work with you doctor and NOT with pseudo doctors or shrinks on here

Regards

Steve

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join