It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Police Get Battlefield Weapons

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by D1Useek

No, they've got you to submit without having to fire a single shot. No gun needed.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
You give a cop an assault rifle and he's not police anymore.He became a soldier.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I don't have a problem with the idea that police are armed. Firearms are just tools. The actions of those arms, good or bad, are determined by the weilder. A police officer in the US or England could save lives with a firearm, a police officer in the Soviet Union or Nazi Germany frequently did evil acts with firearms. It is not the tool, but the user.

I can't see silencers or assault rifles for a regular beat cop, but they are appropriate tools for special units such as hostage rescue and anti-terrorism. Perhaps that is the intent.

As for a grenade launcher, it is an appropriate tool for dealing with violent and destructive riots when it shoots tear gas, but I can't think of an appropriate police use for fragmentation grenades. It is the ammunition that makes the difference rather than the launcher itself. Any tool such as a firearm can be used for good in the right hands. It all goes back to who polices the police, I guess.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
what i'm wondering is who is making the money off of all these armaments?...the british government is spending alot of money for all of this, and where are the profits actually going?...follow the money

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Its Press-tv so no doubt incorrect or deliberate misinformation.

However, the UK police already use 'battlefield weapons' so if they buy some more its not a massive shift.

HK5, HK7, HK36 and G3 are all in use by the police. Plus various pistols and sniper weapons.

Just because you don't see them carried on the beat, that doesn't mean they are not there.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
British police armed to the teeth is only a bad sign for the public, i hate the fact we can't have guns in the UK !

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
you can have guns in the UK

nothing stopping any citizen with a clean record

do a local search for rifle or shotgun clubs

fill in your forms, pay your money

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by justwokeup
Its Press-tv so no doubt incorrect or deliberate misinformation.

However, the UK police already use 'battlefield weapons' so if they buy some more its not a massive shift.

HK5, HK7, HK36 and G3 are all in use by the police. Plus various pistols and sniper weapons.

Just because you don't see them carried on the beat, that doesn't mean they are not there.

most these are modified to fire 9mm and less larger rounds though from the standard rounds they use
they are more what civilians in the US can buy off the market

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
We already have armed police who are on constant patrol in clearly marked patrol cars.

Around 4-5% of UK police are trained to carry weapons and are sanctioned to do so in a variety of situations and conditions.
None of this is changing - all they are doing is upgrading the equipment.
We won't be seeing more armed police on the streets etc.

If those responsible for sourcing and providing the correct and best equipment for the police provide sub-standard equipment then they are criticised for skimping on costs etc and then also get criticised for providing the best and most fit for purpose equipment.

This is NOT the start or continuation of an increased police state here in the UK.

There are many cares and concerns here in the UK at present and many things which require urgent and radical reform etc - this is not one of them.

CX

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by justwokeup

Exactly

Always have.

CX.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by H1ght3chHippie
The grenade launcher attachment may be used to shoot 25mm tear gas grenade. I doubt they would equip police forces with frags ?

the grenade launcher bore is 40mm, not just frags, but para illuminators, smoke, tear gas, and HE.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by AgentX09

You are right on that. Cops should have nothing more than six shooters. They will feel like cops again and maybe start acting like them again. Give anyone an assault rifle and they're head starts to grow .

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
with all this talk of last summer's 'riots', i'd like to remind people why they started. BEcause London police shot an unarmed man and then tried to cover it up. No policeman has had to face responsibility for their actions since. In my opinion that is disgusting and shows a level of police arrogance that cannot be tolerated. The situation spiralled out of control and became about very little really, but if they hadn't of shot Mark Duggan, it never would have happened. The younger generations in Britain's cities simply don't give a *****, and if the police become more violent, we will see much more of the same...

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
Lol at you Brits. How did you let it come to this? Can't scrap against an AR with a pool cue and a broken beer bottle, but if you managed to they'd probably just use cctv footage to pick you up later.

I take it from that statement that you are American? One of us Brits could easily say 'lol at you Americans letting TSA agents put their hands down your pants every 5 minutes'.... or something to that effect but that kind of tit for tat is kinda boring and doesn't get us anywhere.

I don't think any country is going to get off lightly in what's coming. The goverment/ ptb will have plans to get around what ever resources thier citizens have.

It may actually be the armed citizens that end up killing each other in the US and doing the damage for the government. You can laugh at other countrys situations if you like but I don't think you can be so sure you are in a better situation.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

i agree with you on that... I also feel we're making a lot out of very little with regards to this story... the bigger story for me is the coming privatisation and the consequences for public representation and government.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by theGreatunhosed

......the bigger story for me is the coming privatisation and the consequences for public representation and government.

Exactly.
........classic deflection tactics.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
This was from Press TV... The mouth piece of the Iranian government...

I know a few coppers and I wouldn't trust any of them with a gun.
Like it's be said before in this Thread, very few police in the UK are routinely armed.

Peace

Rock Ape

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Many UK police constabularies have been armed with HK G36C and SIG 550s for years. Moving to the C8 is simply a move in standardisation between areas. The C8 offers no real-time tactical increase in firepower over the weapons already in use (they are all 5.56mm carbines, capable of roughly equivilant rates of fire and effective ranges). The main advantage is the increased scale of modular equipment that can be added to the M4/C8 platform, as well as the ability to change barrel lengths by swapping upper receivers, adding versitility combined with commonality of a single working mechanism.

The ability to add "grenade" launchers is standard on the C8SFW. This ability also allows for escalation of force and less-lethal options to be added, such as the green warning light issued to the military. Even if they were fitted with grenade launchers they would not be used as such. More likely they would be used to fire CS or baton rounds.

The police have been using a grenade launcher for years. The baton gun used to fire 37mm baton rounds in public order is actually a version of the HK69 40mm grenade launcher.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Disgusting.British police is preparing to murder its own people.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
British Police have always had access to firearms and certain specialized units have always carried firearms while on duty (Special Branch detectives, Armed Response Units, Met Police Royalty Protection Branch, etc) additionally the Ministry of Defense Police, the UK Atomic Energy Authority Constabulary, and Northern Ireland Police Service arm every officer while on duty.

Nothing strange about this. They have spoken about 'standardization' for a long time especially in regards to firearms. At one point all armed officers carried Smith & Wesson revolvers (except for Royalty Protection officers & Special Branch detectives who carried Walther PPK pistols), then some forces carried Glocks, others carried SIGs, and still others carried Brownings.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join