It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High Schools Spring up with Atheism Clubs that are on the rise

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Lack of Belief is NOT a belief.

I absolutely agree! If you truly had no belief of God, His existence, or even His non existence, you would be an agnostic! Instead of not having a belief regarding God's existence, atheists do, indeed, believe that God does not exist.

Atheists that can not accept the above, are only being hypocrites.

atheist:

a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings.

Source

One cannot deny a belief, or even disbelieve, without already having a counter belief.

See ya,
Milt
edit on 1-7-2012 by BenReclused because: Typo

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by BenReclused
reply to post by Annee

Lack of Belief is NOT a belief.

I absolutely agree! If you truly had no belief of God, His existence, or even His non existence, you would be an agnostic! Instead of not having a belief regarding God's existence, atheists do, indeed, believe that God does not exist.

Every honest true Atheist is also Agnostic. God can not be proven or dis-proven. Lack of belief is not a belief.

Agnosticism: The Basis for Atheism

AGNOSTICISM: THE BASIS FOR ATHEISM, NOT AN ALTERNATIVE TO IT

What is Agnosticism?

Agnosticism is a recent concept, introduced by Thomas Huxley, the famous friend and advocate of Darwin, to describe his own concerns about knowledge and belief. It is derived from the Greek roots a- for 'no' or 'without' and gnosis for 'knowledge.' Dictionary definitions, which are often worse than useless, tend to depict it as the position that certain things, like god(s), are unknown or ultimately unknowable; in common usage it is a third religious position between Atheism or Theism. The Oxford World Encyclopedia goes so far as to declare that it is a \reasoned basis for the rejection of both Christianity and Atheism.

However, neither dictionaries nor common usage reflect Huxley's intent in coining the term. His original formulation of the concept goes as follows:

Agnosticism is not a creed but a method, the essence of which lies in the vigorous application of a single principle. Positively the principle may be expressed as, in matters of the intellect, follow your reason as far as it can carry you without other considerations. And negatively, in matters of the intellect, do not pretend the conclusions are certain that are not demonstrated or demonstrable. It is wrong for a man to say he is certain of the objective truth of a proposition unless he can produce evidence which logically justifies that certainty.

In this characterization, which we can take as authoritative, there is no mention of belief in general or of religion in particular. Rather, it addresses what we should and can claim to know. It is akin to skepticism in the less extreme sense: not that it is impossible to have knowledge or that we have none but that we should not claim to have knowledge that we do not have. atheists.org...

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by BenReclused

atheist:

a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings.

Source

One cannot deny a belief, or even disbelieve, without already having a counter belief.

There is a site that debates this and explains the difference. Which I agree is very minute and insignificant. Lack of belief and disbelief are not worth the time to debate it.

However - - my point was about Hate of God. If you have hate for God - - you are not a true Atheist.

If you claim Atheist as a default because the church pissed you off or you feel God isn't listening - - that is not a true Atheist.

An Atheist has no emotion toward the belief in God.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I agree with the poster above who mentioned that this club must have the shortest meetings of any organization at that school.

I wonder if these clubs are allowed in schools that disallows Christian, Muslim or Buddhist clubs? I wouldn't be surprised and that doesn't seem right.

Eric

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
reply to [url= by Prezbo369[/url]

Atheist group open to everyone.

Don't be ignorant of atheism.

Which means one thing only: "Lack of Belief in a God/Deity"

To hate God - - one would first need to acknowledge the existence of God.

Behavior in the name of anything is individual and the responsibility of the individual. That includes God believers as well.

..........please tell me you know my post was meant to be ironic...................eating babies?

holey moley

edit on 2-7-2012 by Prezbo369 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Prezbo369

Originally posted by Annee
reply to [url= by Prezbo369[/url]

Atheist group open to everyone.

Don't be ignorant of atheism.

Which means one thing only: "Lack of Belief in a God/Deity"

To hate God - - one would first need to acknowledge the existence of God.

Behavior in the name of anything is individual and the responsibility of the individual. That includes God believers as well.

..........please tell me you know my post was meant to be ironic...................eating babies?

holey moley

Yes - it did have that "feel" to it.

Wasn't completely sure,

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Prezbo369

I've known some theists who says that kind of crap and absolutely believes it.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to [url= by EvilSadamClone[/url]

Hence the irony....c'mon guys!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join