It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Titan sensation: Saturn's moon has watery ocean under thick ice crust

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

No, that was Europa. Although Clark chose it for the same reason, it was believed to have the possibility of water underneath now and oceans in the past.

In 2010 the monolith builders engineer jupiter to give Europa a Sun of its own. Its implied that this is to kickstart life there, hence humanities warning to stay away.

Just realised this was already answered, sorry!
edit on 30-6-2012 by justwokeup because: answer was redundant.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by yellowbeard

Ooops my bad, good news though we are allowed to go there on holidays and such

edit on 30-6-2012 by boymonkey74 because: Dyslexia lol

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by jcolsto

I'm gonna raise you on this one..

I don't think it's just microbial life we'll find in the near future, i think there's a very real possibility of multi-celled organisms living outside of earth, but within our solar system.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Romekje

I agree....massive space worms!!! hhhmm I hope whatever we find they taste good

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Actually you aren't that far off i think

If you look at the vast amount of lifeforms we have on our planet that live without any oxygen or sunlight (extremophiles) you will notice that alot of them have worm-like features.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
The headline is a little sensationalistic and misleading in my opinion.

"Titan is in fact covered with a thick layer of ice that wouldn’t be deformed too much – unless there is a layer of a something softer underneath it. Scientists believe this layer consists of water with some salts dissolved in it.

The ocean is believed to lie 100 kilometer below the think shell of ice covering the natural satellite.

Determining, however, whether there actually is water on Titan will remain for quite a time, as there are currently no means to drill through 100 kilometers of moon ice."

It is merely the scientists opinion that there could be water under there because that would explain what they are observing on the surface. All they really know is that there is something soft under the ice. That is a long long way from a confirmation of a ocean of water.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadow Herder

maybe the Powers That Be can wave a magic wand so as to turn a Nitrogen rich atmosphere into an Oxygen rich atmosphere

yeah OK

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
i have been it smells of swamp gas and the people there are a type of amphibious gator people. its widely known for its space catfish noodling and its titan brand moonshine is in high demand by the species that imbibes in liquors with high hydrocarbon content.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by rebellender

maybe the Powers That Be can wave a magic wand so as to turn a Nitrogen rich atmosphere into an Oxygen rich atmosphere

yeah OK

If you think so but I dont subject my self to such lunacy.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by proteus33

There is possibility that there could be methane based life on Titan.

Some facts on Titan

Titan is Saturns largest moon. In fact, it is so massive that it is bigger than Mercury, and some of the smaller planetoids. It is the second biggest moon in our solar system. On one expedition, the Cassini Sattelite orbited closely nearby Titan. Scientists discovered lake-like fissures in the land scape, located in valleys. Coming down into the valleys from higher ground were streams of liquid. Some of these lakes were absolutely massive, almost 40 kilometres in diameter! The moon also had a cycle that greatly resembled Earths water cycle. However, these lakes weren’t filled with water, but with liquid methane which helps keep the moon incredibly cold. There are even methane reservoirs that act like the Earths water table under the crust of Titan. So just think, we say we have a methane problem? Titan’s got it worse, although theirs is the opposite. Global cooling instead of global warming, liquid instead of gas, and no annoying former vice-presents making videos that can put a guy drinking 6 cans of red bull an hour to sleep. The moon also has methane formed by cryo-volcanoes, which are intensely cold volcanoes.
forums.bf2s.com...
edit on 30-6-2012 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadow Herder

Originally posted by rebellender

yeah OK

If you think so but I dont subject my self to such lunacy.

you subject yourself to breathing Nitrogen either

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by yellowbeard

Ooops my bad, good news though we are allowed to go there on holidays and such

edit on 30-6-2012 by boymonkey74 because: Dyslexia lol

No problem mate, nobody can know everything (although far too many people on here think they do
) The best we can do is try to learn a little more every day

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by dxdydz
I can see where your coming from. It's just not the west though. Even the middle east can't agree and find common ground. I agree if there was peace we could accomplish so much more as a species and it would be wonderful.

And I'm sure the rest of the higher inteligent beings in the universe that watch us go about our daily destruction just cant wait for us to become "part of the block" kind of like the # off white trash redneck neighbours that move in next door and wont leave.
There probably out there now somewhere in some intergalactic "U.N." security council meeting arguing over wether to send us back to the stone age again or not.
I cant blame them if they were.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

Awesome we can go to an ice-ocean moon without angering the monolith. Suck it Europa!

<< 1   >>

join