It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just How Independent are Independent Voters?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Independents would like you to believe that they are something special. That they are thinkers, that they vote for who they want to vote for in their conscious without being tied down to any particular political party. But I am defined by the republican party. It's what I believe in. I can choose anytime I want to register as a Democrat, I just won't! I am NOT a Democrat!

Religious people would say that those who do not follow any known religion, but do enjoy religion itself are those who have just not made up their minds yet over which religion to follow.

I think that's the same way most Independents think.

Maybe they are searching for a political party that meets all of their needs. Even if they do find that party, they can register for it and vote for random lesser candidates all they want. But a recent poll found that most independents lean Democrat on the general election stage. And only about 7% of independents actually vote for a third part candidate.

So with all the talk of independents saying that they will not be sheep to the system...It really is a silly motion. You live in America, you like politics. You are in the system! One vote against a political system is not going to change the political system.

Independents sway to the Democrat or Republican candidate of their choice. They find one issue that they like about either one, and decide its as safe as bet as any. They have not been the deciding factor in an election for the past 40 years! George Bush actually won the Independents in 2000!

Even Independents who do choose third party candidates are still being swayed into believing that they can actually elect that person as President, even though actual facts are stacked far against their favor...

Just How Independent Are Independent Voters

edit on 29-6-2012 by jjf3rd77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jjf3rd77

So what are you saying?

That people should continue to baa it up with the rest of the Obama and Romney supporters?

The notion of voting for either candidate turns me off.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
ind voters are not easily catagorized.
Some remain independent to feel special (yay, all the ads are for me). Some are so non-political that they barely know the "sides" and probably don't even know who the VP is...will vote for the cutest or coolest looking guy come election day if they remember to go vote (pushed by someone else) and have no clue about any stance of anyone...

Some are highly educated and are simply annoyed at the sheer simpleton views of both parties for complex socio-economic issues. Some are so far to the right or left of a single party that they simply don't identify being them because of their moderate views..but will probably end up voting for the closer side to their fringe for pulling power over time.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Independents would like you to believe that they are something special.

Nice try, but you lost me with your first sentence! Why in your opinion do you think that because someone is an independent, that they think they are special??? Would we be more special if we followed your team and joined your cause?

I am truely mind boggled by the whole concept of your thread.........

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963

Why in your opinion do you think that because someone is an independent, that they think they are special???

I am truely mind boggled by the whole concept of your thread.........

This entire response makes me think that you think you are special!
edit on 29-6-2012 by jjf3rd77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

I never said anything of the sort, but I think I remember you on here saying that you would vote for Obama multiple times....

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjf3rd77
But I am defined by the republican party.

Eeeww.

Religious people would say that those who do not follow any known religion, but do enjoy religion itself are those who have just not made up their minds yet over which religion to follow.

I think that's the same way most Independents think.

So, what about a person who has some beliefs that align with the Democratic party and some that align with the Republican party and some that align with neither?

I'm an independent voter. Hell, yes, I'm special. But not because I'm an independent voter.

Independents sway to the Democrat or Republican candidate of their choice. They find one issue that they like about either one, and decide its as safe as bet as any. They have not been the deciding factor in an election for the past 40 years! George Bush actually won the Independents in 2000!

Yes, Bush won the independents in 2000 and 2004. Obama won them in 2008. It proves that independent voters ARE the deciding factor in the elections. Just because someone is an independent voter doesn't mean they're going to vote third party... Where'd you get that?

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

So, rather than give us a good explanation as to why you detest independent voters, you're going to mock those who voted for Obama at one point.

You're just like that Obama troll that mucks up the forums with thread after thread, making claims and not backing them up. I'll give you credit, at least you post links to show us where you get your crap from.

It's all good. Takes all kinds to make this giant turd spin.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I'm not exactly sure what to make of this thread...

Why in the world would anyone vote blindly among party lines? That's completely insane, and, in my opinion, outright LAZINESS.

Every voter should be independent.
That's right, I said it, write it down if you wish.
Educate yourself about the candidates, reflect on that knowledge and the values you hold, and vote accordingly.

It's so amazingly simple I'm suprised it hasn't been copyrighted by now!

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Dreine

Originally posted by Dreine
Why in the world would anyone vote blindly among party lines?

I can't imagine it, but as the OP said, they are "defined by" the Republican Party. The very idea makes my skin crawl. I wouldn't join a political party if they paid the members to do so.
I think parties are one of the biggest problems with our voting system as they promote the sports team mentality, divisiveness, and the political "games" we see happening these days. .

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
The article is saying that most 'independents' are actually rather partisan, but just dont want to admit. No surprise.

Too bad most previous comments (or the OP?) here apparently didnt read the article.

Research over the years suggests that most independents are what John Petrocik, a political science professor at the University of Missouri-Columbia, calls "closet partisans."

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Some are highly educated and are simply annoyed at the sheer simpleton views of both parties for complex socio-economic issues. Some are so far to the right or left of a single party that they simply don't identify being them because of their moderate views..but will probably end up voting for the closer side to their fringe for pulling power over time.

Mostly this. I dropped dems like a bad habit this year after finally seeing they're just as corporate as republicans. My opinion now is that they are the same, equally toxic so I'm just not doing it anymore. I will vote third party when I think there's a candidate worth it, or I will write something on my ballot that expresses my dissent.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Originally posted by Kali74
My opinion now is that they are the same, equally toxic so I'm just not doing it anymore. I will vote third party when I think there's a candidate worth it, or I will write something on my ballot that expresses my dissent.

I know what you mean. But I don't have the opinion that they are equally bad. That's why I will vote. For the "lesser of the two evils". Another 4 years of Obama will likely be as uncomfortable as being hung upside-down by your ankles. But 4 years of Romney would be as uncomfortable as being hung upside-down by your ankles, over a pile of rotting human remains.

ONE of these things is going to happen. It's absolutely every voters' right to do whatever they want with their voice, but if they don't vote to avoid the human remains, they are taking a big chance, IMO.

top topics

join