It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomers Discover Galaxy They Thought Couldn’t Exist...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Astronomers have spotted one of the rarest and most extreme galaxy clusters in the universe and, behind it, an object that shouldn’t exist...

ARTICLE - click here

what is the significance of this? does this mean that our calculations for how old our universe is wrong? what else am i missing here? whats this blue beam mean?

(((my sincerest apologies if this has already been posted. as usual i did search but found nothing. i found this.... www.abovetopsecret.com... but it didnt talk about the blue beam. this article that im talking about was published june 26, 2012. if on the the other hand this article has already been posted and talked about and im not seeing it please link me to the post and mods are free to close this. thnx.))

edit on 28-6-2012 by krossfyter because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
This is pretty cool, but at the same time, if the universe is ever expanding, shouldn't this be possible to begin with?

It's pretty mind blowing stuff. Reading articles like that always puts things into perspective. We are just a tiny piece of useless dust that only exists for a fraction of a second compared to the universe.

Thanks for sharing

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Amazing. How arrogant we humans are to think we're the only ones

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Fisherr

Hey not all humans think that way.
You should have said "some" humans.
edit on 28-6-2012 by dxdydz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
^^^^agree with you all. this is all very amazing and magical. i guess this all means we need to go back to the drawing board huh?

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fisherr

I always wondered who these people are that others say "believe we are the only ones"? I've never met one.

I suppose there are a few religious zealots who may feel this way. Possibly some people who live in remote rural areas of the world who never were given a rudimentary science education, such as some third-world farmers?

However, I think for the most part there are very few educated people (and I mean with at least just a basic high-school education) who actually believe we are alone in the universe. If you talk to anyone with a basic understanding of space sciences, and I would think virtually all of them feel other life most likely exists (except, like I said, for maybe a few religious zealots).

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by krossfyter
^^^^agree with you all. this is all very amazing and magical. i guess this all means we need to go back to the drawing board huh?

Or maybe simply adjust our understanding of the mechanisms behind galaxy formation a little. Science is an ever-evolving thing. This would not be the first time (by far) that science would need to adjust what it thinks it knows about something in nature -- such as galaxy formation and galaxy collisions.

This is how we develop our laws of nature -- by observing something new, and then trying to adjust what we already know to fit in with the new observations. This is science in action.

For example, every galaxy we observe probably adds to our understanding of galaxies. By studying galaxies, we know more about them today than we did 5 or 10 years ago, and we will know more about them 5 or 10 years from now than we do today. It's an ongoing and continuous process.

edit on 6/28/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

very nice/good post there. thank you.

so my understanding now is that science has to retabulate how old the universe is now?

does this change anything about the big bang other than the year/era we think it happened

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fisherr

First, what does this post have to do with ET life.
Second, there is no evidence for ET life.
Third, it is arrogant to say you know the truth despite the lack of evidence.

How arrogant to claim everyone who doesn't share your belief must be arrogant and wrong.

Now, for the other poster, the age of the universe should prohibit this from happening, it would theoretically take longer for this to occur than the amount of time this occured from the beginning of the universe.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People
I suppose there are a few religious zealots who may feel this way. Possibly some people who live in remote rural areas of the world who never were given a rudimentary science education, such as some third-world farmers?

I grew up by Boston, MA, graduated college with straight A's in Biology and was a tutor for 11 different subjects, graduated Cum Laude as a member of the National Honors Society. How nice of you to equate me to a third-world farmer. How nice that you have a superior intellect than anyone who dares think differently than you.

With that said show me the evidence that life outside of Earth exists. Thanks.

ETA: As you both seem to agree there is an abundance of intelligent beings roaming the galaxy.

From Princeton. Someone get these guys back in High School please.

In fact, the researchers conclude, the current knowledge about life on other planets suggests that it's very possible that Earth is a cosmic aberration where life took shape unusually fast. If so, then the chances of the average terrestrial planet hosting life would be low.

www.princeton.edu...

Here is a third world pea farmer who is masquerading as a professor at Harvard. He believes intelligent life is extremely rare and we may be amoung the oldest in the galaxy.

Dimitar Sasselov, professor of astrophysics at Harvard and director of the Harvard Origins of Life Initiative, agreed with Verschuur that life is probably common in the universe.

As for intelligent life, give it time, he said

“It takes a long time to do this,” Sasselov said. “It may be that we are the first generation in this galaxy.”

www.universetoday.com...
edit on 3-7-2012 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

First of all, saying "Life is rare in the universe" is not the same as saying "we are the only life in the universe". I know about the Rare Earth Hypothesis, but even the scientists who subscribe to the Rare Earth Hypothesis thinks that intelligent life most likely exists beyond Earth -- the question being: how common is intelligent life?

These Rare Earth scientists think that other attempts to estimate the density of intelligent civilizations in the universe (such as the Drake Equation) were too generous and grossly overestimated the likelihood of intelligent life formation. That's not the same as saying "it can't happen", because we humans are proof that it can happen.

Which leads me to me next point. I agree there is not yet proof of intelligent elsewhere. That's why I always say ET life "probably exists" or "most likely exists" (as I did in the post of mine you quoted):

If you talk to anyone with a basic understanding of space sciences, and I would think virtually all of them feel other life most likely exists (except, like I said, for maybe a few religious zealots).
color emphasis added

I do this on purpose in my posts about ET life; adding the qualifiers of "virtually", "probably" and "most likely" for the sake of precision.

Furthermore, a scientist can personally believe in an idea (such as the possibility of life elsewhere) while at the same time acknowledging that there is not yet any conformation or proof. Scientists are not robots -- their personal feelings (as opposed to their professional fact-based declarations) about a subject aren't always based on proof, especially with the subject of ET, since there is no proof that intelligent ETs elsewhere in the universe does NOT exist. Scientists can genuinely say "I feel intelligent life probably exists elsewhere, but we have no proof of that life".

That is to say, I think the vast majority scientists feel that intelligent life probably exists elsewhere in the universe (perhaps a lot of life, perhaps very little life -- but intelligent life nonetheless), but they also understand we can't say with 100% certainty that this is true until we actually come across this life in some relatively direct manner. I understand the sheer size of the universe is is not PROOF of intelligent ET life, but it is certainly evidence worthy of consideration.

Obviously, not EVERY scientist will feel the same way (just a large majority). I'm sure we can find a credentialed scientist who feels humans are all alone, just like we can probably find one who thinks there are intelligent ETs on Earth right now. However, I'm not talking the fringe -- I'm talking about the "large majority".

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Quote:
"The farther galaxy is estimated to be 10 to 13 billion light-years away and have a mass approximately 70 trillion times the sun".

So if i traveled at the speed of light for 13 billion years I would never reach the edge of our galaxy because if it is expanding it would be moving away from me for the 13 billion years that I was traveling to get to that point.

I am calling total BS on the speed of light being the fastest mode of travel in our universe because it just does not make sense. There must be some truth to black hole and or bending time space to make a portal to another location.

My head hurts just trying to comprehend the meaning of distance and mass....
500 trillions time the mass of the Sun...
Holy smoke batman that sounds so crazy just to say out loud.

edit on 3-7-2012 by knowledgedesired because: sp

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Perhaps you missed the point, which was you belittling every single person who has a different belief (even when grounded in scientific evidence) saying they are 3rd world uneducated farmers.

Most scientists believe there is life out there, some believe there is no other intelligent life, some believe there is some intelligent life, some believe there is an abundance of intelligent life. This discrepancy alone shows how this belief is not grounded in evidentiary science.

You should be careful when making generalizations that belittle people. You linked a quote, but that fails to recognize your mistake, which was not the part you quoted, which still went a bit far. This is where you became insulting.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by knowledgedesired
Quote:
"The farther galaxy is estimated to be 10 to 13 billion light-years away and have a mass approximately 70 trillion times the sun".

So if i traveled at the speed of light for 13 billion years I would never reach the edge of our galaxy because if it is expanding it would be moving away from me for the 13 billion years that I was traveling to get to that point.

I am calling total BS on the speed of light being the fastest mode of travel in our universe because it just does not make sense. There must be some truth to black hole and or bending time space to make a portal to another location.

My head hurts just trying to comprehend the meaning of distance and mass....
500 trillions time the mass of the Sun...
Holy smoke batman that sounds so crazy just to say out loud.

edit on 3-7-2012 by knowledgedesired because: sp

No one said the speed of light will be the fastest method of travel, only that it does not appear you can go faster than the speed of light. That does not mean there is not a way to game the system.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Xploder has a thread about this find. He is a gravitational lensing fanatic, and anything like this that pops up he is guaranteed to have already grabbed it up and posted it.

It is one of his more recent threads, but I am not about to go looking it up right now.. i can barely keep my eyes open.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
being the oldest galaxy in your neighborhood of the galaxy has to have some advantages

If you assume live exsists everywhere it can, than its very exciting, because even in this we can assume that the life that evolved from that area, is older or more evolved, then areas around it.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
They could say anything about galaxy's and none of it would be suprising... It's beyond what any man can comprehend

top topics

join