It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TX NAACP wants state lottery shut down so poor people don't play

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Here is further proof the black community ignores the concept of personal responsibility.

Instead of educating poor people to the reasons they shouldn't play the lotto, the losers at the NAACP want the entire thing shut down so poor people don't play it at all.

Evidently freedom of choice doesn't exist in their tiny little peanut brains.

Full article

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
The Texas Lottery is used to help fund schools...schools that apparently these morons never attended. Good going, NAACP!

/TOA

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by FreeFromTheHerd

Whether or not the people should have personal responsibility is inconsequential. The lottery is yet another tax on the poor and uneducated, and the money that supposedly goes to education is just offset in other places by cuts to education, so the lottery is a useless system, that hurts people, and deflects attention from real issues in the education and political systems.

I agree with the NAACP, it needs to be shut down. Unless of course they want to just legalize all forms of gambling and let private industries run lottery systems, and tax them into the general operating fund, that would make more sense and be more transparent.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American
The Texas Lottery is used to help fund schools...schools that apparently these morons never attended. Good going, NAACP!

/TOA

No it isn't, that is just political spin. Sure, they give money to the education system, but because that money is there the politicians just rob the typical money that would go there. The schools were funded before the lottery, so the billions from the lottery system should have produced smaller classes, more technology, and more teachers with better pay, but instead we got the opposite of that. Lottery for education is a farce.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I see more poor white people
scratching away their money than I've seen any other race.
This is not about buying a lottery ticket or two,
this is about an addictive brain spending their hard earned
money on a stupid scratch off game.
It's the same people that are addicted to smoking
(I'm a smoker) addicted to soda addicted to gambling .

You ever see those old (usually white) ladies in Vegas
smoking playing the slot machine with oxygen tubes going up their nose?
That's brain chemicals at work and NOT a clear headed choice by her.

These corporations and lottery commissions know exactly who
their addicted customers are and use them for out and out profit.
In Texas all that lottery money was supposed to go to schools.
If that was the case every school in Texas should have hallways
paved in gold.
The NAAACP should not remove their ability to buy lottery paraphernalia
but all people should be better informed of how it really works.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

It most certainly is not a tax on anyone.

No one forces someone to play the lotto, it is a CHOICE made by dumb people.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   

The lotto is a tax on poor people?

Really who forces them to play?

No one.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreeFromTheHerd

It most certainly is not a tax on anyone.

No one forces someone to play the lotto, it is a CHOICE made by dumb people.

It is a choice, but it is a choice of desperation. Rich people don't play the lottery. Plus, they market the hell out of the lottery, and we know how effective good marketing can be, especially for the less sophisticated crowd.

It is a choice, but it is still a worthless program that hurts people, enlarges the government, and doesn't benefit anyone except the extremely rare winners, and even those people typically run into a lot of problems when they win.

It is a bad program.
edit on 28-6-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

ETA:
I don't have a problem with people gambling, but I have a problem with such a dishonest government program while regular gambling is illegal.
edit on 28-6-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   

I have to disagree... the lottery is not a tax... it's the American Dream... become very wealthy without having to work for anything.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Even if people win 50 k on scratch-offs in Texas, which is cut and taxed to death before you get it, it could keep their kids from receiving scholarships and grants. So again they expect you to spend it their way (on useless higher education), and punish you for not doing so.

Even if you use the remainder to pay off other debts, still same story. So it sucks...

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Catalyst317

I have to disagree... the lottery is not a tax... it's the American Dream... become very wealthy without having to work for anything.

I started to take issue with your version of the American Dream, and then I stopped and had to be honest with myself. It's a shame that is what the dream has become. It used to be the dream of an opportunity where anyone could find success with hardwork or innovation, but nowadays it is the dream of a big lawsuit settlement, lottery win, or dotcom.
Sucks.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Yes, that days of hard work are over and have been replaced by McDonalds hot coffee law suits, lottery, becoming a rapper, get rich quick schemes, etc.

It's a shame really. Hard work is what made America great and a global leader.
edit on 28-6-2012 by Catalyst317 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Is this yet another example of "You're not smart enough to make the decisions of your life, so we'll make them for you?" Why are they not smart enough? Aren't our schools, which are getting more and more money every year, able to teach even basic life skills?

And if you accept their inability to make decisions, why do you allow them to vote? Why not strike everyone off the voting rolls who buys a lottery ticket? And why stop at money decisions? Make people lose their right to vote if they visit buffets, or register cars that get fewer than 25 MPG, or fail to show proof of fresh vegetable purchases, or fail to use condoms.

I'm sorry if I've gone off on a rant, but there seems to be a theme in the country, and here on ATS, that the individual American needs to surrender rights, freedoms, and responsibilities to a higher level of government. I don't like it.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
Is this yet another example of "You're not smart enough to make the decisions of your life, so we'll make them for you?" Why are they not smart enough? Aren't our schools, which are getting more and more money every year, able to teach even basic life skills?

And if you accept their inability to make decisions, why do you allow them to vote? Why not strike everyone off the voting rolls who buys a lottery ticket? And why stop at money decisions? Make people lose their right to vote if they visit buffets, or register cars that get fewer than 25 MPG, or fail to show proof of fresh vegetable purchases, or fail to use condoms.

I'm sorry if I've gone off on a rant, but there seems to be a theme in the country, and here on ATS, that the individual American needs to surrender rights, freedoms, and responsibilities to a higher level of government. I don't like it.

I agree with you. I don't like it either. However, the less decisions people have to make, the more time they have to watch The Jersey Shore or American Idol.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Originally posted by The Old American

/TOA

No it isn't, that is just political spin. Sure, they give money to the education system, but because that money is there the politicians just rob the typical money that would go there. The schools were funded before the lottery, so the billions from the lottery system should have produced smaller classes, more technology, and more teachers with better pay, but instead we got the opposite of that. Lottery for education is a farce.

Texas Lottery
Almost $1 billion was sent to the Foundation School Fund, which is where Texas schools receive most of their funding. What the politicians do with money in the Texas education fund is beside any point. Without that funding assistance, Texas schools would have been $1 billion less.

But maybe it should be shut down. Poor people can't take care of themselves obviously. After that door is closed, we can ban alcohol sales, tobacco, fast food, sitcoms, games...the list goes on and on. Personal choice is anathema to a free society, I guess.

/TOA

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

That just isn't the truth though. There is not an "additional" $1 Billion in the education system. I've seen this happen in Florida. As soon as the lottery money started being appllied to the school system, the other general operating fund money started being pulled out of the school system. The operating budget of the education system never saw the giant boost they were promised. Exactly the opposite. They started seeing funds they were used to getting being scaled back, and their budgets shrinking, and now they are completely dependent on the lottery money, which was never the intention. The lottery was supposed to be "extra" money to buy better equipment and more teachers and small class sizes, and raises, etc., etc.

Have you seen Texas schools getting better and better due to the $1 billion? Or have you seen more teacher contract problems, larger class sizes, more local fundraisers to get enough money to buy basic equipment, etc., etc?

Florida has a lottery too, but every year my kid's school has several fundraisers just to buy computers, and every teacher asks the parents to pay out of pocket to chip in and buy things like bleach wipes, and tissue during the flu season.

The lottery money is a farce. It never did any good, and now it is a necessity. The politicians stole the education money and put it elsewhere.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
MegaCorp Interests: No! We want to rob the middle class more. Shut up!

new topics

top topics

join