It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has Natwest Online Banking Been HACKED??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Finally managed to get into my online account after being offline since last Friday morning due to what natwest called a software update glitch, I think they were hacked and are lying!

Why? I only to find when i finally get access that £3,495.00 taken from my account by use of a cheque they gave the me cheque number,

The only problem, is I don't have, and have never had a cheque book for that particular account!

1. They could not give me the name of who the cheque had been paid to
2. They put me through to the banks fraud dept who managed to cut me off twice! after finally getting back through they were trying to tell me it was not actually a cheque debit afterall but that paypal had requested a repayment.
3. I Checked with paypal it was not them, and i had plenty of funds in my paypal account so no need for any payment reversals.
4. I finally got a return call by the unauthorised account team who again blamed paypal, but refunded me in full within 10mins.

It is easier to get blood out of a stone than get it from a bank, this was way to easy!!!

All the time I talked to the bank I kept on asking them was this happening to anyone else and they said I was the 3rd person that morning with the same problem?

The guy I spoke to from the unauthorised payments team asked how did I get through to him so quickly as he is inundated with problems and has a huge backlog, I said i mentioned making the hacking public to bbc news and he said that would do it!

It's great to have the money back, but How did anyone get access to my account? and how come the banking onbudsman is not letting the public know that Natwest is not safe!!!

Anyone else with the same problem?

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
My accounts seem to be back to normal now and fortunately no money has gone missing. Quite the opposite in fact. None of my direct debits were paid instead. I've been on the phone all week dealing with an unpaid mortgage/car insurance/credit card etc etc....

I have to say though, once this started I immediately thought hacking may be the cause. A well placed computer virus would confuse and distract the bank enough for someone to empty as many accounts as they could.

I know the 'official' explanation is a simple 'mistake' by a new member of the technical systems team but to me all the chaos still smells of a cyber attack of some sort.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Could it be they are facing a run on the bank, so they use this as cover, to move money around all over the place into and out of holding accounts, to create the illusion of liquidity!????

That is just speculation, but a damn good conspiracy theory!!

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Well I think the issue is, do you want your money with this bank?

I know if I had several thousands of pounds with these banks, no matter what they said, after this weekend, I'd be getting my money out!

Money is a horrible thing, but we still need it in this current system, so securing it would be my advice.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Sounds like they may have been... and are covering their tails, and I guess they are not telling anyone they've been hacked would be pretty high on the list as I am sure it would cause a run, perhaps that was the intention? take the bank down, and cause a bank run..

But the notion that this was a liquidity issue has also been thrown in the mix, so lots of theories at the moment with very little substance, and yet, I can't help but feel suspicious as something really does smell fishy about the whole thing.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by bsalert

my account seems to be in order, but i have no monoey for anyone to steal, so oh well. wouldnt surprise me if some banker took the money and is trying to cover it up, coz we all know they dont get enough in bonuses anymore

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I remember reading a day ago that there were several banks in Europe that were "hacked down", and that at least 60 million in funds was believed to have been stolen. I will see if I can find that story...

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Maybe you got caught up in this:

A massive cyber bank raid has stolen over 60 million euro from various bank accounts around the world according to software security firms McAfee and Guardian Analytics.

“The fraudsters’ objective in these attacks is to siphon large amounts from high balance accounts,” the report stated.

The thefts occurred from both business and private accounts. A virus was placed onto multiple bank servers that automatically transferred in groups of hundreds and 100,000 euro at a time.

jimbakkershow.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   
I haven't heard much about the bank run, but i got to ask, were you able to walk into a branch and ask for your money from your account? or was that denied to you as well?

I cant see how a software update would inflict so much corruption considering the time it takes to replace, restore or roll back the systems these days, how could so many engineers take so much time to restore an IT function?

Maybe they couldn't pay their bills and couldn't function during this time with the little amount of funds it had?
i think its more deliberate manipulation than hackers.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by joeraynor

Hi, the ONGOING theft from the banks is being discussed here.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

If hackers are responsible for the theft from your account OP then they may be able to access your account at any time, scary!!

I am with RBS/Natwest and also Barclays but want to leave, I just don't know where to go.

Even the regional banks and credit unions were targeted in the attacks!!

top topics

join