It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TERRORISM: CIA: No Link Between al-Zarqawi and Saddam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Contrary to assertations before the invasion of Iraq, a CIA investigation has found no conclusive proof yet that ousted leader Saddam Hussein harbored Abu Musab al-Zarqawi. The report is still considered preliminary at this point, and the investigation is still ongoing.

Reuters
The CIA report concludes Zarqawi was in and out of Baghdad, but cast doubt on reports that Zarqawi had been given official approval for medical treatment there as President Bush said this summer, ABC said.

Earlier on Tuesday, White House spokesman Scott McClellan reasserted that there was a relationship between Saddam and Zarqawi.

"He was in contact from Baghdad with Ansar al-Islam in the northeastern part of Iraq. He had a cell operating from Baghdad during that period, as well. So there are clearly ties between Iraq and -- between the regime, Saddam Hussein's regime and al Qaeda," McClellan told reporters.

Before last year's invasion to topple Saddam, the Bush administration portrayed Zarqawi as al Qaeda's link to Baghdad.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

al-Zarqawi and his Tawhid and Jihad group are believed to be behind the post-invasion spate of suicide bombings and beheadings in Iraq, and evidence links him to Osama bin Laden's Al Qaeda terrorist network.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   
From what I understand Zarqawi's ties to Al Qaeda are questionable as well.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by spngsambigpants
From what I understand Zarqawi's ties to Al Qaeda are questionable as well.

That could stand to reason. Why follow bin Laden when you can become your own equally nasty bad guy on the world scene? Follow bin Laden and if and when different terrorist groups get together, you have to negotiate from his position instead of your own.

Originally posted by Banshee
"He was in contact from Baghdad with Ansar al-Islam in the northeastern part of Iraq. He had a cell operating from Baghdad during that period, as well. So there are clearly ties between Iraq and -- between the regime, Saddam Hussein's regime and al Qaeda," McClellan told reporters.

Interesting that McClellan gave himself the opportunity to only make the connection between Iraq and Zarqawi, yet still chose to attempt to draw the connection between the Hussein regime and Zarqawi. He even corrects himself away from the general connection toward the direct one. Of course, if it is determined that this connection does not exist, the retraction will be quiet and out of the mainstream so the vast majority of American's will never hear differently. These guys are great at that.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I suppose this means we are supposed to take the Administration's assertions on 'faith'.

Thank Goodness I am not a believer.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 05:04 PM
link   
The CIA has a lot of amends to make.

my view is 'they' were inept since after the 1st WTC bombing of 1993

The CIA will have to string together a series of correct analysis coups to regain my favorable nod. until then, the Agency is suspect of SLACKING

top topics

join