It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun-toting Olympians forced to leave London early, banned from social media

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   
This is beyond ridiculous.

Originally posted by CB328
Well, organizations don't like negative publicity from it's members.

What's negative about two men posing with guns? If two men were posing with some fancy cars would that be negative? You have any idea how many cars kill people every year? More than guns.

Originally posted by FractalChaos13242017

Being that this is an international competition, and these individuals are there to represent the best of their country... it doesn't look very good to the public to see these teammates in another country holding weapons. Think about it...

OK.... I thought about it. Still not understanding. Exactly how and why does it not "look good" to be holding guns at a gun store? I personally think it looks VERY good. You do realize there are SHOOTING COMPETITIONS IN THE DAMNED OLYMPICS don't you?

What do you think the 2012 US Olympic Committee would say if 2 athletes from the US decided to go over to China and take some pictures of them holding guns, and then the athletes promoting the pictures on their Facebook.

I don't care what the Olympic Committee has to say about it. That's not the point. Who gave them the right to dictate what free adult men can do on their on time while perfectly within the bounds of the law? If two American athletes were in China holding guns I'd think it's pretty cool that China's soldiers were friendly enough to let the Americans hold the guns. I say soldiers because that's likely the only way they would be able to hold guns in China, and all. I wouldn't see anything wrong with it, just like I don't see anything wrong with this. Again, are you somehow saying that being a gun enthusiast or interested in owning guns and protecting yourself is somehow shameful, or embarrassing?

I'd say they(Australian Olympic Committee) made the correct choice... these guys are foolish, is that what you'd want representing your country? Not me...

Well I'll have to disagree with you. I don't support oppressive and ridiculous control of people's free time like you seem to. Would I want someone representing my country who likes guns? Absolutely. I am a huge firearms enthusiast and would be happy to have a like minded individual represent me and my country. Although, even if someone was representing my country and doing something that I DON'T have any interest in, such as posting pictures while surfing, or playing paintball, I'm not going to judge the and act all butthurt by saying they are somehow being shameful doing something they enjoy that isn't illegal or hurting anybody, again unlike you.

What is so difficult to understand about public perception? A majority of all money spent in every market is in regards to public perception... c'mon! This is about appearance, sacrifice, and skill... if you wanted to be thought of as the greatest athlete in the world in a particular sport, these are exactly what needs to be considered. Performance comes and goes, these guys are 'legends' in their own rites. Consider it a 'rite of passage' or whatever, it is what it is, it always has been since the creation of the Olympics and still is today.

If I have to explain what holding a gun in another country has to do with looking good to the public, especially in regards to the Olympics... I worry, seriously. This should be easily understood, at this time I will pull my 'escapist' card, and let you figure this one out on your own.

The concept of public perception is pretty easy to understand. The issue with the guys holding guns somehow being "bad" is NOT easy to understand. Especially, since as I already stated: "there are SHOOTING COMPETITIONS IN THE DAMNED OLYMPICS"

Originally posted by Rockpuck
The crazy Liberal Euro's hate guns. They prefer their public weak and subdued.. I'm not really surprised by this action.

Exactly, makes perfect sense. That's what this is really all about, a bunch of oppressive cowards who are upset with the fact these guys are actually able to enjoy a little fun and go to a gun store such as they did. Guns are bad, mmmmmkay? This is just silly, silly, stuff here folks. Cowards and mental midgets getting bent out of shape because of guns. I guess the Australian army should get rid of all of their guns, being such a bad thing and all.

Originally posted by Freeborn
This thread should be closed as your title is deliberately misleading.

The OP made a simple mistake, and posted the wrong link. Yahoo has TWO almost identical articles about this. One with the EXACTLY title as the OP uses. I know for a fact he is telling the truth, as he quoted the OTHER article in the OP, the one with the exact same title as this thread. I didn't bother checking out the link because I just saw this on Yahoo, but the OP made a simple mistake, cut him a break.

edit on 27-6-2012 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by becomingaware
Wtf? What the hell is going on with you guys. That's the headline of the article!!!

I even said in my opening post they were at a gun range in California. For Christ sakes, read the article and the post better.

...I hate posting on ATS anymore because this always happens. I post an article that pisses me off, then some people come in and attack me for posting correctly according to the guidelines of ATS.

Don't let it get ya down man. Some people just have to cause drama, it's in their blood or something. Ignore such people, it's really the best thing to do. I know you just made a simple mistake of posting the wrong article, and are completely in the right as far as your thread title.

Anyway, this whole issue is really just a NON ISSUE. They don't have anything else to worry about than two guys having a bit of legal, normal fun?

This comes down to people forcing their opinions on others. Just because THEY don't "like guns" means WE can't like guns either. We can't be seen with them, or else they will try to punish us. Even though they are doing nothing wrong, at all.

Like I said before, I guess all of Australia's military guys should throw away their guns, because they are bringing shame and embarrassment to Australia, in these loony people's minds.

Political BS, it makes me sick.

S&F

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   
One more post, heh heh sorry...

Check this article out:

www.theroar.com.au...

WOW! Australian Olympic Shooting team. SHAMEFUL, HORRIBLE, EMBARRASSING!!!!!!

I really hope the Olympic Committee bans their own shooting team for making Australia look bad for being in a shooting team. Fair is fair, right? Why is it somehow OK for SOME Aussie Olympic contenders to pose with guns, while it's NOT OK for other certain Aussie contenders to do the EXACT same thing?

Hypocrisy I say! This is some dastardly stuff here. The Aussie Olympic Committee should be ashamed of themselves.

You posters in this thread who agree with them, and think those two guys somehow did something wrong by posing with guns, do you think the Aussie shooting team should be banned? Do you think shooting competitions in the Olympics should be banned all together? If you do, your silly. If you don't, your a hypocrite.

You say guns are bad, people having their picture taken with guns is bad, then why is it OK for the Aussies to have a shooting team?

HYPOCRITES!!!

Check out that image! Awful Aussie shooting team making Australia look bad again. She should be banned and punished for having her photo taken with a gun. FOR SHAME!

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   
unless you are australian, know the background to these two dickhead, and have the facts you really shouldnt comment.

there both idiots with form that should have known better.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by James1982

I guess... some people just need it spelled out for them...

OK.... I thought about it. Still not understanding. Exactly how and why does it not "look good" to be holding guns at a gun store? I personally think it looks VERY good. You do realize there are SHOOTING COMPETITIONS IN THE DAMNED OLYMPICS don't you?

To hold a weapon, while smiling, inside another countries boarders, as a representative of another country, while both countries are to soon be competing on a world stage....

It is not conducive towards support, patriotism, and displaying strength when a member of a team that is to represent a country, goes into another country and bares arms.

I'm sure Australia would have had no problem with these guys, if they took these pictures inside the Australian boarder. I'm not sure if you're aware, but there is a very serious US - Australia - China allegiance issue presently surfacing with the emergence of what claim to be WW3. Although I don't subscribe to such fear mongering rhetoric that aims to suggest this is to take place any time soon, it is still in the back of the minds of those that run #.

Some may perceive, that these athletes going to America to hold guns equates to a weak Australia.

Some may perceive, that these athletes going to America to hold guns equates to an allegiance of sorts.

Some may perceive, that these athletes going to America to hold guns equates to all sorts of things that are not conducive towards the promotion of a stable and strong sovereign country. It's that simple...

Then there is always the:

Some may perceive, that these athletes aren't committed to representing Australia.

Some may perceive, that these athletes aren't committed to their training.

Some may perceive, that these athletes are gun carrying war mongers. lol

Many of these possibilities may be a stretch and all... but here's the thing. There is very little good that can come from these athletes going into another country and holding weapons. It's that simple...

I'm not going to claim that I presented my case very thoroughly, and I don't truly care to get all PR with it... but it is what it is. The protection of an image(country's identity) warrants the removal of these guys based alone on the symbolic gesture that is their photograph. It's that simple...

I don't care what the Olympic Committee has to say about it. That's not the point. Who gave them the right to dictate what free adult men can do on their on time while perfectly within the bounds of the law? If two American athletes were in China holding guns I'd think it's pretty cool that China's soldiers were friendly enough to let the Americans hold the guns.

They gave up said rights when they choose to participate in the Olympics. They are perfectly free to not attend the Olympics, go to the US and pick up a gun and shoot a target.

If two American athletes went to China holding guns, provided by their military. You wouldn't hear about it, for they would be detained indefinitely for questioning.

Let me know when you awaken from this fantasy state of mind... remember, it's all about propaganda and spin when it comes to foreign relations... the Olympians are not void of this.

Again, are you somehow saying that being a gun enthusiast or interested in owning guns and protecting yourself is somehow shameful, or embarrassing?

No... not at all. But doing so IN ANOTHER COUNTRY IS!

I'm all about the second amendment, bearing arms, and all that fun stuff... I have a couple fun pieces of my own. There is a symbolic gesture that accompanies this when doing so in another country, that's all I'm getting at... if you haven't figured that point out yet...

The concept of public perception is pretty easy to understand. The issue with the guys holding guns somehow being "bad" is NOT easy to understand. Especially, since as I already stated: "there are SHOOTING COMPETITIONS IN THE DAMNED OLYMPICS"

I'm sorry, I didn't know that these individuals participated in that specific sport. O wait...

Some people just can't see the light, no matter how dark the tunnel... I swear...

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   

You posters in this thread who agree with them, and think those two guys somehow did something wrong by posing with guns, do you think the Aussie shooting team should be banned? Do you think shooting competitions in the Olympics should be banned all together? If you do, your silly. If you don't, your a hypocrite.

Wow, you just can not stop pulling things out of context, and being incredibly inaccurate with your assessment.

It's not just about 'guns being bad'... get over it lol! As well... even if it is about 'guns being bad', not everyone shares your views about guns, many would form an unfavorable perception of these two based on the picture alone... that's just how the world works. When your job is to oversee the public relations of an Olympic team, and act in accordance with public perception... these things are to be considered. It was an appropriate move, and maybe even 'politically correct'.

Don't get me wrong, I wish each and every individual could walk into another country... grab a gun and shoot a target, regardless of who they are(void criminals) or where they come from. BUT THAT'S NOT THE WORLD WE LIVE IN. You want to change this? Well... there's much more on the lower half of the pyramid that needs to be changed before we start addressing the cap stone, or the stones that the builders refused... get it?

Choose your battles, win the war... this 'battle' can be lost. They're still participating in the games(aren't they?), so get over it.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Listen mate, I really couldn't give a toss either way - it has absolutely nothing to do with me and has zero impact on me and my life etc.

But what does annoy me is people rattling on about 'whinging Poms' when it has absolutely NOTHING to do whatsoever with any British person or organisation and if anyone had bothered to look at the link and actually read it before posting they would surely have noticed that.

In addition we also got the predictable digs about British anti-gun culture etc - again, it has absolutely nothing to do with the UK at all - it's an Australian matter - the Australian Olympic Committee have taken offence over some photo's some Australian swimmers posed in during a visit to California and have decided to exclude them from their Olympic swimming squad - nothing at all to do with the UK or Europe - so why all the anti-UK posts?

And how could they have been asked to leave the UK when they weren't here?

This is beyond ridiculous.

Yip, PC gone mad - but my opinion is completely irrelevant.

Glorifying gun culture? - maybe but surely there's a lot more important things to concern oneself with - at the very worst it deserved a minor reprimand.

Originally posted by Rockpuck
The crazy Liberal Euro's hate guns. They prefer their public weak and subdued.. I'm not really surprised by this action.

Come on now Rockpuck, I really expect a lot better from you mate - this has nothing to do with us 'liberal Euro's', and our gun control laws are not the issue here......and you know we are neither weak nor subdued - but they are discussions for another time and place.

Exactly, makes perfect sense. That's what this is really all about, a bunch of oppressive cowards who are upset with the fact these guys are actually able to enjoy a little fun and go to a gun store such as they did.

Are you calling Europeans and more specifically Brits cowards or Australians or just the Australian Olympic Committee?

The OP made a simple mistake, and posted the wrong link.

OK I get that, then ask a Mod to rectify - pretty easy really.

One with the EXACTLY title as the OP uses.

Well then that title would be incorrect - again - how can someone be asked to leave somewhere they aren't at?
They weren't in London and no-one in London asked them to leave so as a result it is INCORRECT.

It seems that the OP mistakenly linked to wrong article and I accept there is no deliberate attempt to mislead - but that still doesn't legitamise the inaccurate headline or the subsequent posts.

edit on 27/6/12 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   
you need to see it from our point of view.

u.s - for guns.........aus - anti gun

japan - eats whales........aus + u.s - saves whales

china - eats dogs......aus + u.s - dogs are pets

amsterdam - smokes pot............aus + u.s - pot illegal

just a few examples, but EACH COUNTRY IS DIFFERENT. we ARE anti gun, these blokes are dickheads with previous form and they should have known better.

end of story.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by bellagirl
you need to see it from our point of view.

u.s - for guns.........aus - anti gun

japan - eats whales........aus + u.s - saves whales

china - eats dogs......aus + u.s - dogs are pets

amsterdam - smokes pot............aus + u.s - pot illegal

just a few examples, but EACH COUNTRY IS DIFFERENT. we ARE anti gun, these blokes are dickheads with previous form and they should have known better.

end of story.

While everyone else yammers on and on because the story involves the word "gun" , bellagirl is the one speaking about the reality of the situation. ( hint: It isn't really about the guns, yo! )

But please everybody, continue beating each other about the head and shoulders regarding gun issues, maybe you'll convince each other to switch sides and then you can continue to fight about it.

Misleading, inflammatory headline + some controversial gun-related photos = "the masses" butt-hurt enough to continue fighting with each other about it

hook....line....sinker, suckers

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   
The only instance that sticks out in my mind, having to.do.with posing with a weapon in another country ( that was frowned upon) are the Jane Fonda photos. ...But that was Vietnam, and we were at war with them. Were not at war with Australia. I think its been taken way too seriously.

If I were in Puerto Rico, Id pose with a bottle of rum.
Cuba, a cigar.
Ireland, a bottle of whiskey in a clover field.
Holland, a fancy joint. - feel me.
Australia, a big ass can of fosters, while punching a goddamn kangaroo.

America, two shotguns and a couple of .45's. ..Although they should have come to Texas, we could have armed them better.

Ya see where Im going with this? Call it any thing you want, don't overly politically correct the issue. It's a non issue. Why demonize what they did? They're a couple.of young guys that have had their dreams taken away from them...for being a couple young guys, experiencing every moment they can. I know I would.

...Yes, basically what ^^ these two said above me. Its a non issue. Its crap news. Guess I should have interpreted myself better in my opening post.
edit on 27-6-2012 by becomingaware because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by becomingaware
The only instance that sticks out in my mind, having to.do.with posing with a weapon in another country ( that was frowned upon) are the Jane Fonda photos. ...But that was Vietnam, and we were at war with them. Were not at war with Australia. I think its been taken way too seriously.

If I were in Puerto Rico, Id pose with a bottle of rum.
Cuba, a cigar.
Ireland, a bottle of whiskey in a clover field.
Holland, a fancy joint. - feel me.
Australia, a big ass can of fosters, while punching a goddamn kangaroo.

America, two shotguns and a couple of .45's. ..Although they should have come to Texas, we could have armed them better.
Ya see where Im going with this? Call it any thing you want, don't overly politically correct the issue. It's a non issue. Why demonize what they did? They're a couple.of young guys that have had their dreams taken away from them...for being a couple young guys, experiencing every moment they can. I know I would.

you dont get it....you will never get it. you dont know the history of these two idiots.

and.....we dont drink fosters.

edit on 27-6-2012 by bellagirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   
The horrors of seeing someone pose with a firearm
. How will young swimmers go on after seeing an image like that on the internet.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by bellagirl

I've never had a problem with you guys. I know you don't drink fosters, it was a joke. Lighten up brother/ or sister I see, I love aussies, they're very similar to Texans.

Im an American,.and I don't consider you an enemy at all.

..Being taken way too seriously.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Echo007
The horrors of seeing someone pose with a firearm
. How will young swimmers go on after seeing an image like that on the internet.

o.k. last post on this topic from me and if you dont get it after this....well your just plain stupid.

first idiot : Nick D'arcy

previous history: made the olympic team for Beiging olympics. went out with the team to celebrate...got rotten drunk and king hit a former gold medalist Simon Cowley. fractured his jaw, eye socket, cheekbone and nose. he was charged by police with recklessly inflicting grievous bodily harm on Cowley. found guilty.

when he was ordered to pay Cowley compensation....he declared bankrupt.

www.brisbanetimes.com.au...

second idiot : Kenrick Monk

broke his elbow in two places. rang police and said he was hit by a car while riding his bike training by a p plater (young driver) who hit him and fled the scene. big media story...police spent days investigating. actual truth.....fell off his skateboard.

www.brisbanetimes.com.au...

both given second chances.....picked in the olympic team. all they had to do was avoid controversy. we are not a gun country...guns are very controversial here....and the dickheads did that photo and posted it on facebook.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by FractalChaos13242017

If I have to explain what holding a gun in another country has to do with looking good to the public, especially in regards to the Olympics... I worry, seriously. This should be easily understood, at this time I will pull my 'escapist' card, and let you figure this one out on your own.

They can go to America, after the games, and enjoy themselves all they want... for now, they are supposed to be dedicated to a team that represents a country. That's it... if you don't agree with the sacrifices necessary to fit all aspects of what it means to participate in the Olympics... well then don't try out lol.

I don't understand. You can worry about me if you like, but I honestly do not understand what holding a gun in a gun shop has to do with public perception. They were in the US for a swim meet, and they were doing this on their own time between festivities. They were not neglecting their duties in any way, and shopping would not seem to be an activity that would impact their performance in any way. If they were out late at a bar picking up women, maybe that could impact their performance, but not shopping.

LIke I said before, I am a fan of all sports. I want to see the best athletes on the field. I'm not interesting in seeing the only athletes they could find with squeeky clean records, I am interested in seeing the best of the best! Have you ever been to a prison rodeo? Those things are the AWESOME! I realize the media has turned athletics into a circus complete with paparrazi, but these guys are good at one sport. They should only be held accountable for their performance in that sport. Like I said before, I don't care if they murdered their mother, they can go to jail, and they can fly them to the Olympics to compete, because they are still the best in their sport. I feel like the media circus is destroying the sports just like it is destroying politics. Who cares if a guy cheats on his wife, if he is the best leader for the country, so be it, I'm not trying to marry the guy. Same with athletes, I don't wanna marry these guys, I just want to watch them swim!

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   

I see your D'arcy and Monk ....and raise you one Charlie Sheen. Feel better?

For the record, I think Aussie girls are freaking gorgeous, but you're not coming across very nice. Every free country has people that screw up, but thats because we are FREE. We have the choice to do good or bad, granted there are consequences to negative actions, but we have the choice.

People make mistakes, are you one that holds a grudge for life? Also, you say guns are very controversial in your country, are they illegal? Or is it just a mindset that firearms are bad? We have anti-gun people in the US as well, but its a preference and thats as far as it goes. They are not completely banned beacuse of someones preference...yet.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pirateofpsychonautics
The Poms are just scared of us convicts coming back with guns!

Reparations for sending our forefathers out here in chains!

Yeah but you got the nice warm weather and beeches. so just be thankful for the sacrifices your ancestor's made.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

I can understand that's "how things are" but I refuse to think it's acceptable to just go along with such things for that reason.

I'm American and don't care about the Japanese hunting whales, the Dutch smoking pot, or the Chinese eating dogs. I wouldn't care if someone representing America went to Japan to eat whales, China to eat a dog, or the Netherlands to smoke pot. Why? Because it doesn't matter. It's not a big deal, at all. I detest PC bullchit like this on every level.

reply to post by Freeborn

I'm definitely not calling Brits or any other nationality cowards, just the anti-gun crowd. America has PLENTY of them as well, they spout the same kind of rhetoric as anti-gun nuts from any country. Perhaps I should have clarified that it wasn't about the country, but the certain group which share the same ideals regardless of what country they are in.

And I use the word cowards, not as some stupid macho thing that people who are scared of guns are cowards. I use the word because they seem to think their own safety and security isn't THEIR responsibility, but the responsibility of someone in a uniform with dubious morals and training of the law. To me it's cowardice to refuse to protect yourself and your family to the greatest extent possible because you never became familiar or comfortable with a hunk of metal that flings smaller hunks of metal.

I honestly think it's a HUGE stretch to say that Aussies holding guns in America is somehow them showing allegiance to the USA. And I don't see what China has to do with this. Are you implying that China is going to get angry with Australia because it's Olympians are showing some none existent pledge to America allegiance by holding guns? As if China doesn't already know Australia would ally with the west over China anyway?

Look, I get what you are saying, in the same way that I get every other PC related incident. I Just don't agree with it, and am not going to condone such things simply because that's how it goes. Even you agreed that it's stupid PC crap. So why not be against such things, instead of simply going along with whatever is the status quo at the time?

It seems to me that people are attacking these two guys, not for the gun thing, but for their past. Honestly I don't care what their past is, it's irrelevant to THIS issue. Trumping up something like this in order to get a dig at someone you don't like isn't any better than considering holding guns some big deal in the first place.

reply to post by becomingaware

This guy explained my point of view a little better than I did, I'll have to agree with him 100%

I should have just condensed all of my previous posts into one short one that said "it's a non-issue" and been done with it. That's what all my frustration comes down to. People making something out of nothing.

Maybe people on the other side of the fence take my stance as somehow attacking Australia or something along those lines, which couldn't be further from the truth. My main point is that them posing with guns just isn't a big deal, and it's stupid to punish them or get bent out of shape because of it. As I said previously, maybe people are just using this incident to attack two guys they don't like, but making mountains out of mole hills is dumb regardless of why it's being done.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Sorry, I'll try not to sound too dense.

But, isn't shooting one of the sports at the summer games?
Olympic Shooting

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
while i have some thoughts about the guns thing
i don't think we're focussing enough on the "social media ban"
what even is that and why do we live in a world where that could be a thing?

also, as that most rare of commodities, an australian with zero interest in sport
i wouldn't be able to distinguish either of these monkeys
from any of the incredibly long line of their predecessors
but i recognise the pattern driving it
yet more idiot sports stars to splash across the front page - and apparently, now, hide from the public [?]
referencing port arthur? someone's trying hard to cause a stir.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join