It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NATO condemns Syria over downed Turkish plane

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   

NATO condemns Syria over downed Turkish plane

www.chicagotribune.com

NATO allies on Tuesday condemned Syria's shooting down of a Turkish military plane as unacceptable but they stopped short of threatening any military response that might drag them into a conflict with Syria's government.

Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said after an emergency meeting in Brussels of ambassadors from NATO's 28 member states that Turkey had the support of all its partners.

"The security of the alliance is indivisible, we stand together with Turkey in the spirit of st
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.cbc.ca
www.nytimes .com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Syria Shoots Down Turkish Jet, Turkish Navy Massing, Article 4 NATO Treaty Invoked...
Syria shots at second Turkish plane

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Nato/Turkey say that shooting down the plane is unacceptable, but what if Syria had a plane flying in American airspace? I imagine that it would be a declaration of war by the United States and it's NATO partners.

In my opinion this is a veilled thread of systematic augmentation in the plan to attack Syria. Some might even think that Turkey sent this plane into Syrian airspace knowing that it would get shot down giving them a reason to rattle some sabers and demonize the already not so popular Syrian regime via the media.

Assad needs to be careful because his house of cards is about to come tumbling down.

www.chicagotribune.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Yeah, events like this often start wars, and sometimes it seems like they are done on purpose to do so. That's why when the plane was shot down, I thought a war might be coming.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

I can't wait for the power of the United States to dwindle. People like you will regret your words. We are only acting in our own best interest like every other world power in history has done. Sometimes we dirty our hands but I challenge you to find me another world power throughout human history that hasn't. Seriously, try. I'll win. Oh and by the way, I mean world power to all of you who think Australia is one. Someone has been posting non-stop bs about them. Don't got anything against you aussies, your good people, but a powerful nation, in the grand spectrum, you are not.
edit on 26-6-2012 by MansPlaceNow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
What kind of posturing includes... ;

...but they stopped short of threatening any military response that might drag them into a conflict with Syria's government....

... did they think we wouldn't notice?

This 'international political" showmanship is tiresome and clearly meant to evoke a response not in the "offending" government (Syria) but here... among us...

Remember that a "vast" propaganda campaign has already been "forgiven"...... and Reuters... along with AP are now playing their masterful parts....
edit on 26-6-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by MansPlaceNow

I can't wait for the power of the United States to dwindle. People like you will regret your words. We are only acting in our own best interest like every other world power in history has done.

People like me? Oh man this is priceless!

The United States government acts in its own corporate best interests, not in its citizens best interests. The US government can give a damn about its citizens.

Time for you to wake up and smell the coffee.

This reign of "liberation" (terror) going on over the last few decades is not for the good of the American people, it's for the good of it's corporate banking overlords that are based all over the world.

Thanks for stopping by.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
This is it folks.

Turkey talks tough over Syria is an
indication that "trigger happy" NATO WILL eventually attack Syria and probably very soon.

Turkey's prime minister has told parliament that Syria is a "clear threat" to both its own people and to Turkey, days after a Turkish fighter jet was downed

edit on 26-6-2012 by samsamm9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by samsamm9

Thank you for sharing that article. I was not aware of this tough talk coming out of Turkey as of today. It appears that the situation is spiraling into cross border conflict, but we have been there many times before with Iran and Syria where the situation just ends up cooling down.

For some reason I don't have the feeling that cooler heads will prevail this time around.

I must point out that this part of your source made me laugh:

Turkey's prime minister has told parliament that Syria is a "clear threat" to both its own people and to Turkey, days after a Turkish fighter jet was downed. But to what extent will Ankara's approach to its neighbour really change?

Syria isn't the one flying planes into other country's airspace. Erdogan must be off his rocker

edit on 26-6-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Add in the fact that the ship transporting the attack helicopters has now been fitted with a Russian flag and is expected to be accompanied by at least one other ship back to Syria ... (it was an article on AjJ y'day but I can't find it today?!)

Accoring to Turkey they are ready to respond militarily to "any future border incident"!

NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said the alliance condemns it "in the strongest terms," and expressed solidarity with Turkey, but made no mention of retaliatory action.

Turkey's prime minister, responding to the downing of the jet in a speech to the AK party's parliamentry group, said Tuesday that Turkish military will respond to any future violation of its border by Syrian military elements.

"The rules of engagement of the Turkish Armed Forces have changed," Recep Tayyip Erdogan said. "Any military element that approaches the Turkish border from Syria by posing a security risk and danger will be regarded as a threat and treated as a military target."
AlJazeera top story: www.aljazeera.com...

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Typical type of thread on ATS.

Syria shoots down a Turkish aircraft and suddenly (somehow) the US and / or NATO is to blame! Somehow, although he evidence says one thing, some people think this is a precursor to the evil West going to war.

The fact that a military alliance has made a statement in support of an ally does not equate to war. It shows solidarity. Syria was trigger happy. In this day and age when nations are not at war, it is customary to at least warn the target that you are going to fire at it.

Is anyone on these Boards capable of actually blaming the person who pulled the trigger, rather than going off on a blinkered tangent to blame everyone else? I have yset to see the bankers blamed for this, but that's only a matter of time.

Regards

edit on 26/6/2012 by paraphi because: typo

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

Absolute hogwash you speak.

You know damn well that once a country's airspace is violated they have every right to shoot that craft down.

I'm not blaming NATO or USA, I'm blaming Turkey. I'm also pointing out the hypocrisy in NATO's actions with this statement that this thread was based on.

I've said it before and I will say it again, if one of the "Axis of Evil" country's had their planes flying over USA, UK, or Israeli airspace, they would be blown to smitherines.

Get off your high horse and snap out of your propaganda induced trance.
edit on 26-6-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I love how the Western media says this was an 'attack' on Turkey. How is defending your own airspace against foreign aggression an 'attack'?

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
You know damn well that once a country's airspace is violated they have every right to shoot that craft down.

I don’t agree that nations have the right to shoot down planes that violate their airspace when no state of war exists; certainly without warnings. Feel free to point out the exact legal clause if you chose. If nations had the right then the world would be littered with downed planes.

We do not know the circumstances of this “violation”, but there is no commentary of whether warnings were given or received.

Syria is guilty of acting overly aggressive and they deserve to be condemned.

www.nato.int...

Regards

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

news.yahoo.com...

NATO backs Turkey as PM vents fury at 'heinous' Syria

Turkey's prime minister branded Syria an imminent threat Tuesday, vowing to retaliate over the "heinous" downing of one of its jets, as Russia downplayed the incident and NATO rallied behind Ankara.

Amid reports of fierce clashes between Syrian rebel forces and army units around elite Republican Guard posts in Damascus, Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan announced his country had changed its rules of engagement and would now treat any Syrian security threat as a military target.

"Turkey will exercise its rights, born out of international law, with determination, and take the necessary steps by determining the time, place and method by itself."

"The rules of engagement of the Turkish Armed Forces have changed given this new development," he said.

Any security or military risk posed by Syria on the Turkish border would be "considered a threat and treated as a military target."

As i stated prior, this was/is a significant step towards a Military conclusion, all they need now is an 'Accident' be it on their border, or another plane downing, if Turkey decides to utilize military at any time, the United States will back them
edit on 26-6-2012 by Darth_Prime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

I don’t agree that nations have the right to shoot down planes that violate their airspace when no state of war exists; certainly without warnings. Feel free to point out the exact legal clause if you chose. If nations had the right then the world would be littered with downed planes.

think you're wrong, but I'll admit to not knowing the 'law' either way in this case. But since Syria is not part of NATO, or the UN, I'm not sure how they are subject to the rules within those organizations.

Can you point me to the law which says a nation cant shoot down a military plane violating their own airspace?

We do not know the circumstances of this “violation”, but there is no commentary of whether warnings were given or received.

Can you show m where it is stated they must give a 'warning'?

Syria is guilty of acting overly aggressive and they deserve to be condemned.

I think one could make the same argument about Turkey. They were the ones who violated international air space. What if Russia did this to the US?

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Last year there were 114 violations of Turkish Airspace .

Turks shot non of these aircrafts .

Airspace violation is a routine occurence in the Aegean & Med .

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by 23432

Or, at least Turkey claims there were.

Of course, the OBVIOUS difference is that non of those (alleged) violations of airspace happened at the hands of a country actively arming opposition within your own country. So the comparison is rather flaccid.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

Originally posted by 23432

Or, at least Turkey claims there were.

Of course, the OBVIOUS difference is that non of those (alleged) violations of airspace happened at the hands of a country actively arming opposition within your own country. So the comparison is rather flaccid.

Another Turkish Jet was " accidentally " shot down by a Greek fighter , back in 1996 .

Turkish military logs all airspace incidents in Aegean & Med and publish them online .

www.tsk.tr...

Flaccid is an interesting choice of a word indeed .

1 - These are not " Allegations " .
2 - Selling arms in middle east is as old as humanity itself .

If Turks used the same logic , then every week a non Turkish Jet could be shot down in Aegean & Med due to airspace violations.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
For those of you who think this is NOT a potential false flag, read the following:

Sledgehammer! Turkey’s false flag attack kicks off NATO’s Syrian invasion

A decade ago the Islamist government of Turkey uncovered the now legendary ‘sledgehammer’ – or Balyoz in Turkish – false flag plot hatched by the Turkish High Command to justify a coup d’état.

The plan called for a Turkish fighter plane to be shot down by friendly fire somewhere over the Aegean and the blame then shifted to the Greeks. It was a blatant attempt by the secular military establishment and their friends in the underground secret state to destabilize the freshly-installed ‘soft’ Islamic AK government before it had time to establish strong roots.

elements of Sledgehammer bore a startling resemblance to the US supreme commander General Lyman Lemnitzer’s infamous Northwoods Plot to attack American navy ships and civil airliners and then blame Castro.

Nor is it any coincidence at all that Sledgehammer Mark Two struck just three weeks after the annual Bilderberg conclave held at Chantilly, Virginia, close to Washington D.C.

So, before you dismiss this as a possibility, think again! There was a plan INCREDIBLY similiar to this, documented!, as a way to encite conflict!
Here is the Wiki link,

Reports of the alleged plot first surfaced in the liberal Taraf newspaper, which said it had discovered documents detailing plans to bomb two Istanbul mosques and accuse Greece of shooting down a Turkish plane over the Aegean Sea.[2][3][4] The plan allegedly was to stir up chaos and justify a military coup.

Now it doesn't seem so improbably does it?! Granted the plane was not shot down by friendly fire, but they easily could have provoked Syria, and considering the environment right now over there, seems probably that Syria may have fired on them, providing the perfect crisis to take advantage of! **Added - see bottom article.. Syria says the plane was at 100m altitude!*

And this just published, from Turkey

Turkish PM vows to help 'liberate Syria from dictatorship'

RT

Ankara pledged support for the Syrian rebels, and warned that any Syrian troops approaching Turkish borders would be considered a threat and dealt with as a military target.
­The statements came from Prime Minister Recep Erdogan, who was addressing the national parliament. He was explaining how his government was dealing with last week’s downing of a Turkish warplane by Syrian troops, after the aircraft violated the country's airspace

And this from Syria,

Turkish jet clearly violated Syria's sovereignty – Damascus

RT

The downing of a Turkish plane by Syria was an act of self-defense against a violation of its sovereignty, the Syrian foreign ministry has said. Damascus insists it was within its right to open fire on unidentified aircraft violating its airspace.
The statement by the Syrian foreign ministry spokesman Jihad Magdissi comes a day after Ankara accused Damascus of violating international law in last Friday’s incident.
Magdissi said the Turkish claim that their military jet was shot down in international air space after leaving Syrian territory was false. The aircraft was hit by air defense artillery, not a surface-to-air missile, and this weapon’s maximum range is just 2.5 kilometers, he said in a statement aired on Syrian TV

Hmm not from a missile, with artillery and with only 2.5 km range?!

“Syria air defense taken by surprise by plane at 100m altitude, even if plane was Syrian we would have shot it down,” he said

HMMMMM! If thats even a little bit true, a low altitude, unauthorized plane entering a foreign territories airspace... Would any country not be taken by suprise, and implement immediate measures for defense?!!
edit on 6/26/2012 by Nspekta because: eta, spelling

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
We should notify NATO and the UN on Somalia prirates also.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join