It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court mostly rejects Arizona immigration law; gov says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Supreme Court mostly rejects Arizona immigration law; gov says

edition.cnn.com

The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday struck down key parts of an Arizona law that sought to deter illegal immigration but let stand a controversial provision allowing police to check a person's immigration status while enforcing other laws.

In a decision sure to ripple across the political landscape in a presidential election year, the court's 5-3 ruling upheld the authority of the federal government to set immigration policy and laws.

"The National Government has significant power to regulate immigration," Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote in the majority opinion. "Arizona may have underst
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
well, well, well.......this will set the cat among the pigeons I'm sure.

While concluding that the federal government has the power to block the law, the court let stand one of the most controversial parts: a provision that lets police check a person's immigration status while enforcing other laws if "reasonable suspicion" exists that the person is in the United States illegally.

And I'm interested to know which factions of the NWO/Govt people think are on which "side" of this - it occurs to me that the SCOTUS is mostly a "conservative" body, yet this seems to be a very "liberal" ruling....except for the police stoppage bit - it's a bit of a confusing mix really!

edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I'm giving this thread a well deserved bump.
For what it's worth.

This is a very important piece of information and because it isn't as sexy as TSA agents fondling and groping people it get's ignored.

Your papers please!!

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
What are your thoughts on this Aloyisius? I am a bit hurried at the moment but my initial impressions were that some of Arizona's provisions smacked a bit of being like a police state. I would imagine they'd hurt and needlessly harass legal citizens on the basis of appearance only. I'm not Hispanic but I am frequently mistaken for one and can imagine how I'd feel being asked for papers without having done anything else to merit police attention. I think it would be a high insult to Hispanic Americans to be constantly delayed and asked to prove citizenship status. I think probably all people detained by police for crime should have citizenship status automatically checked if it's such a problem there, along with the other records checks police routinely do.

But I do sympathize with states wanting to address problems that affect them that fail to be addressed in full by the Feds. Addressing the problems that come with illegal immigration is not racism. But stopping people to ask for proof of citizenship on the basis of suspicion of citizenship status alone (which would have to be based on racial appearance...what else?) is profiling and has no place in our country IMO. Assuming I read and understood correctly the parts of the Arizona law that were struck down.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SheeplFlavoredAgain

Being hassled at the Airport is one thing but being stopped and asked for proof is now getting much closer. But, people are cool with it.

I'll go back to my Scotch.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SheeplFlavoredAgain
What are your thoughts on this Aloyisius? I am a bit hurried at the moment but my initial impressions were that some of Arizona's provisions smacked a bit of being like a police state.

IMO retaining the police stop provision based on appearance is ridiculous - how many US citizens are hispanic now??

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

They let it stand to give Sheriff Joe and the State enough rope to hang themselves with. Once they go about trying to enforce that part of it and it becomes clear that creative cops are racially profiling to stop people for BS it'll get knocked down. They are giving the State the benefit of doubt on it is all.

new topics

top topics

join