It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why you should take your children out of public schooling RIGHT NOW

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by dogstar23

Ack...my reply-to-reply post above is a mess, because i'm responding via a touchscreen phone, which is just terrible for formatting, but if you can recognize where my responses are in there, I tried to address all the points, including the bizzare putting words in my mouth parts.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I have met and interacted with many people that were home schooled when they were growing up.
I have met and interacted with many people that were educated by the "system" as they were growing up.

In both groups I found just about an equal amount of idiots, geniuses, and some that were socially awkward.

Home schooling has a better advantage than public education only in the cases where the parent was competent enough to handle the job. And same for public schooling.

Home schooling offers so many programs, contacts, activities and other things that keep the kids exposed enough to the world to grow up and not be socially inept.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Someday when I have kids I plan to homeschool. i hope by that time there's a non-religious, advanced version of homeschooling.

I did very well in public school, but was bored a majority of the time, even in Advanced Placement courses.

Is there an accelerated math and science option for homeschoolers?

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Infi8nity

I feel you.

You should make a thread on that idea alone.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by cetaphobic

I think your criticism of the U.S. educational system is generally legitimate, but why would you encourage parents to quit the public system, instead of demanding a thorough reform, in order to get a proper educational system?

I don't think it's practical for everyone to leave the public educational system for various reasons.
I imagine not everyone has the time to homeschool their children... and in the end of the day you need a practical solution for everyone, right?

Is it even realistic for a larger number of parents to pass the competence examination for homeschooling?
edit on 26-6-2012 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous404

In my research this past year, I'm similarly found that all secular and also all Pagan curricula are sorely lacking. I am considering trying to build my own Pagan curricula to give to parents for free one day.

As for accelerating math or science, you can do whatever you like in many states. You can also, I believe starting at age 16, send your children to college classes. There are also online classes.
edit on 26-6-2012 by cetaphobic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Infi8nity

I'm sorry for saying this man, but really work on your grammar. That whateveryouwannacall it was ridiculous. You have not set a good example... it almost seems you did this on purpose...

As for me, I am the product of public school. My dyscalculia was never addressed, and I was passed up than crapped on. Of course I went to Florida schools...

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by thepainweaver
Public schools are terrible i agree, op. But home schooling should be a last-ditch option. Home schooling is terrible when it comes to teaching children how to socialize with other children their own age, and it creates socially awkward zombies.

To be honest, I am a socially awkward zombie, perhaps because I went to a public school. I find the public school system of socialization abhorrent. It's a nice place to learn all kind of awful habits and be pressured into conforming in certain ways. There is also plenty of teasing and bullying, which I find leaves people traumatized for life. Some kids kill themselves over that, too, or shoot up the school.

There are plenty of very smart kids who would be socially awkward either way. I would not consider any school the appropriate place to learn how to get along with others. Where then, if not school? Maybe self defense classes or sports, or some other structured activity that is supervised. School allows so much room for students to be punks and just awful to each other.

I guess I have a bias that I should admit, which is that I hated school for the reason that other kids were often awful to me. If you aren't just like the crowd, you stick out, and you will get negative attention. School rewards conformity. Conformity is exactly the problem we have...some call it being a 'sheep.' (I try not to offend, and we are all a bit like sheep anyway no matter how much we try to be our own person.)
edit on 26-6-2012 by daynight42 because: typo

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   

School is not the only place to socialize. There are sports you can join outside of school that can aid in that. also other things like dance, theatre type schools outside of public schools and even just going to the park.

I was homes schooled for a few years and it really didnj't affect me learning the game of life and how to work with people. you just have to think outside the box but many people on here are too scared to lazy or too hesitant to do so.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I think you are right but for different reasons. The schools programming is pushing one world culture, environmentalism, and all of that UN agenda 21 crap down your children's throats. It is to soften people up in order to socially engineer people, otherwise the system would definitely be more laissez faire with education rather than turn it into a day care so they can make both men and women work for ever diminishing amounts of money (when viewed at in terms of actual buying power). They have built a slave society, and for years they have been turning your children against you. If they don't get your kids that way, no worries, the system will just come up with more excuses with which they can use to take your children away; destruction of the family unit is high in the state's list of priorities.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I completely agree 100% with everything that the OP has claimed!

I believe that everyone who can, should homeschool. The school system in Canada and the US has been deteriorating for years and it is now in a complete shambles. And if any of you don't believe that this is just a small piece of the larger agenda to control and subjugate the masses.... then why are you on ATS?

As for the poster who suggested that the Canadian system is better than the US system....hmmm? Really? Were you schooled in Canada? If so, your theory is out the window. Sorry to be harsh, but judging by your grammar and sentence structure, the Canadian system certainly did not do its job correctly!

Ok...I digress...but here is my case for homeschooling....I have a Master's in Education, so I think that I have the authority to distinguish good education from bad. I am a Canadian, single mom and I recently had the wonderful opportunity to homeschool my child. It was a fantastic experience! Challenging yes, but well worth it. Afterall, nothing comes easy in this life.

I was "compelled" to pull my son out of school for many of the reasons that the OP has mentioned...the fact that my son was abused by a principal was the straw that broke the camel's back. Not to mention getting nowhere with the overpaid, useless, corrupt, self-serving administrators when I complained.

It is a complete myth that the undereducated cannot teach! This is what "they" want you to believe. How much more rewarding can it get than to learn along side your own child while sharing in new discoveries??......This is not rocket science folks!

Yes, it is true that most of us cannot homeschool, perceive that we cannot homeschool or choose not homeschool our own kids for whatever reason. The system does not want us to think for ourselves, eat healthily, heal ourselves or do anything that may "rock the boat". How else can they control the masses? However, do yourselves a favour. If there is any way at all that you can feasibly homeschool, I recommend that you do so.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by krazykanuk

I was schooled in canada and it sucks, it is designed to dumb everybody down to the same level equally, so everybody can be the same as the weakest link, it is purely designed to homogenize people into being just like the lowest common denominator.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   

As a public school elementary teacher, I feel like I need to reply to your post. As you can tell by my post count, I don't talk much on the forums, but every now and then a thread catches my attention and I feel the need to reply. I'm not trying to argue with you, because I'm not trying to change your mind. I've read a couple, but not all, of the replies in this thread, and there is some major hate for public schools with some intense accusations about it being similar to prison and the lack of care in teachers. I don't feel this is completely true. I mean, not every teacher is like a prison guard, but some are. Not every teacher is good at their job, but I run into people daily that are bad at their jobs as well. I understand public schools are an important topic, because they are teaching our future generations. I'm going to reply to your original eight points.

1. Public schooling does not pay good teachers. It pays administrators. New Jersey is the worst for this, but even in Michigan where I live, it's bad. It's bad that all of my teachers drove lunkers but all the administrators drove brand new cars. And yes, I mean all of them.

It is true, teachers do not make the big bucks. However, not all teachers that I work with drive bad or cheap cars. I drove a 2 year old 350z for a while. It's not the most expensive car ever, but it wasn't a clunker by any means. I easily afforded the payments, but had to get a family car when we had a baby. Just before school let out, a teacher bought a new hummer. You are right though about admin. They drive much nicer cars and live in nicer homes more consistently. But not everyone equates nice cars with doing well. Just because someone makes a ton of money doesn't mean they will buy the most expensive car.

2. Public schooling does not teach students based on their own abilities and interests. Until you get to middle school, children are expected to all be the same, no matter what.

I've taught 6th, 5th, and 3rd grade. In each grade there have been multiple students that had a curiosity about life way beyond that of their peers. Just last year I had a student that would ask me a new question each couple of days about things she considered mind boggling, such as: What is nothing? or How did people get here? I would do my best to answer these questions while keeping a dialogue going. I try my best to teach each student as an individual. There are plenty of methods for teaching to a students abilities and interests, it just takes the right teacher to apply those methods.

3. Public schooling teachers your children to perpetuate society's bad manners. They're taught that swearing, fighting and being a jerk is cool. They're not properly taught by overworked and underpaid teachers how to be polite, or how to care about other people.

I've never taught that swearing, fighting, and being a jerk is cool. Our entire district has had a constant anti-bully campaign going for a long time. Each morning in assembly the students would listen to clips about how to be a hero instead of a bully. That is just a small thing and definitely not enough to teach how to care, but it's a step in the right direction. We had a Rachel's Challenge rally at the end of the year to celebrate being kind to each other and doing the right thing. Students from each school carried thousands of chain links, each having a good deed or kind gesture written on it that they observed. There's always going to be bad leaders in a group of kids, and unfortunately kids will follow bad examples.

4. Those children who do poorly in public school will never get proper help for it. They will be told to work harder without being taught how.

What about tutoring? That's all about one on one teaching how to succeed.

5. Those in public school overwhelmingly lack an understanding of even basic mathematics. Even those who graduate at the top of their classes.

I don't get this point. Math seems to have less importance sometimes, but the kids get basic math. I learned calculus before graduating HS. That's a little bit beyond basic math.

6. Public schooling leaves your children with very little time for play, which is NECESSARY for the growth and true education of younger children.

True, there is not enough time to play. I try to give a lot of time for group activities and creative time that mimics play instead of lecture.

7. Public schooling punishes the best and brightest children by recommending they be put on ritalin when they question too much or, god forbid, get antsy like children are supposed to.

It is actually illegal for us to recommend medication or diagnose children. I've had parents ask me before and I tell them I can't answer that, I'm not a doctor.

8. Public schools and their teacher unions make it impossible to fire a bad teacher. Yes, as close to impossible as one can get.

Unfortunately...

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by thepainweaver
Home schooling is terrible when it comes to teaching children how to socialize with other children their own age, and it creates socially awkward zombies.

I must emphatically disagree with you and I don't know where you are getting your information from. You are either making an assumption or very brainwashed!

The statistics just do not bear your statement out. With hundreds of other community opportunites for kids to socialize, not to mention many school districts will allow homeschoolers on their field trips, why would you assume that homeschoolers will become "socially awkward zombies"?
edit on 27-6-2012 by krazykanuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Great post.

i didn't read past the first section of your post, but I think I agree, although I wasn't homeschooled so I'm a little apprehensive about homeschooling future kids or something. Because part of me thinks that if I help my kids learn in addition to school it could be better so they get that social experience.

And the main counterpoint to my apprehension would be that until 100 years ago, most people were homeschooled, including pretty much every major person ever before 1900.

Also, the public school system was straight up created to breed efficient, obedient kids. They were pretty explicit about it when they set it up in the United States. Public schooling was originated in Persia, you know the bad guys from 300? They were a warring society which (according to my possibly biased knowledge) was very focused on churning out slaves and taking over other countries. So it makes sense that they would want a standard schooling system.

Everything in the above paragraph is true, except possibly some of the stuff about Persia's government. I have seen numerous sources regarding the US public school system and I'm sorry but I don't want to find some internet references to include. Just saying

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Covertblack
reply to post by manna2

Say what you want, but human interaction is needed in my opinion. Keeping your children locked up and away from humanity isn't healthy. Of course you can continue to spew your "facts" about the "filth" of kids these days if you wish.

Social skills aren't needed? Communication isn't needed?
edit on 25-6-2012 by Covertblack because: (no reason given)

I do not believe that you have any clue or have experienced homeschooling whatsoever. As I said in a previous post, you are making assumptions purely from a lack of knowledge and not on fact.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   

that was directed at a specific poster saying he would prefer home schooling so his children wouldnt have to learn about evolution
reply to post by sirhumperdink

The parent has the right to choose what is best for the child, like it or not, not even the government has a right to force something the parent sees as harmful to the child. The parent has a inalienable right to teach her own child her theories about life and morality.

the point i was making is home schooling could potentially be worse depending on who it is doing the teaching and the real solution to failing public schools is not to home school but to make public schooling better

True it could be, but just because someone claims they know what's best, doesn't mean it's true or that it is ok to force their beliefs onto another person's child. The parent makes those decisions.
Hun, that's what we all want, this serious system failure has deprived many children for about three generations of a decent education. There have been a lot of people trying to make the corrections to do that but, there are also people who designed the system as it is now for their own purposes, at the expense of the children, and that's not easy to change when they have the power to force compliance.

and here you are insulting me by being patronizing and adding nothing at all to the conversation...... awesome..... awesome

Please accept my apology. I must have missed a comment while I was reading the thread.
I still think it was a rude thing for you to say, and you see how you didn't like me treating you rude.....now you know how it makes others feel. Maybe you will consider that next time, and I will try to be nicer as well ...deal?
Thanks for replying to me

edit on 27-6-2012 by ScatterBrain because: spelling correction

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by BobAthome
if u can sit through the lecture,,common the students had too,,

u can here this professor's opinion of homeschooled.
and it is very, ignorant. and biased.

a senior lecturer in the Management Department at McCombs.

Sep 23, 2011.

China and Creativity are the keys to US Recovery

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...gotta luv it

Uploaded by UTMcCombsSchool on Sep 23, 2011
www.mccombs.utexas.edu...

now,,,,my own personal rant,,

Apparently AMERICAN,,,,,know how and industry,,never existed.
(no wonder your losing the economic recovery.)
He,,,the Lecturer kinda skipped over the GREATEST, Retail and HOUSING,
boom in the history of the world.

America,,,40's,,50's,,and 60's

don't know why he skipped,,
40's,,50's,,and 60's
i mean thats 30 years of growth right there,,,and not one mention of it.
Sure loved Communist China, though,,
and dont worry about those starving babies in CHINA,,,as he states,,
apparently CHINA has solved that problem.! for you.!
AMERICA IS DOOMED.if this is what is being taught.
Someone better get him too stay away from HISTORY.
And BUSINESS.
Sep 23, 2011.,,,,too late.
there already infected.

ya homeschooling,,

WTF are you nattering about? Mods please remove of move this post. It does not belong on this thread.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   

With that said, I wouldn't trust most parents to home school their children.
reply to post by grahag

But It is not your business. Not you, or anyone else have more standing than the parent in deciding how they will educate their own flesh and blood. The parent has the last word on the matter, and many of us feel very strongly about that.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by tovenar

Kudos on your comments on this thread, I can spot a man of wisdom when I see one. Cheers!

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join