It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do People need to be on the Brink of Extinction to Change ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
We all know we live in a very difficult time now
All the Earthquakes and the fukushima disaster
The inevitable Wars in the ME
all the mass animals death and deceases
corrupted systems and government that think only for themself
getting richer and the poor getting poorer
with the worldwide economy crashing like dominos

We are on the verge of many boiling points on the four corners of planet earth
and yet we see people acting in delusion and dreams that everything wil be fine
but it is not .. things are getting worst and more people are getting killed everyday
even strange trumpet sounds in the sky like alarming us of something coming

I think people will become less greedy and less delusional
once they have in face their own Annihilation

Everything is so messed up and it look like all hell is about to break out
everyone will be taken by surprise if the SHTF for real .. no one can be fully prepared for that
and this is when we will have no choice to change our ways of life ..
for adapting humans are good at that
creating a better generation of humans that will care more
not to repeat the same mistakes like in old times

While making the thread i just remember about the movie "The Day the Earth Stood Still"
when she try to convince Klaatu not to wipe humankind

Professor Barnhardt
Klaatu: Your problem is not technology. The problem is you. You lack the will to change.
Professor Barnhardt Then help us change.
Klaatu I cannot change your nature. You treat the world as you treat each other.
Professor Barnhardt: But every civilization reaches a crisis point eventually.
Klaatu Most of them don't make it.
Professor Barnhardt Yours did. How?
Klaatu: Our sun was dying. We had to evolve in order to survive.
Professor Barnhardt: So it was only when your world was threated with destruction that you became what you are now.
Klaatu: Yes.
Professor Barnhardt Well that's where we are. You say we're on the brink of destruction and you're right. But it's only on the brink that people find the will to change. Only at the precipice do we evolve. This is our moment. Don't take it from us, we are close to an answer.

So at the point we are now .. i think we dont have any choice to change for our futur generations sakes
it is just sad that people would not have change before that

The good new is : Yes we have all the potential to be great and we will be
the human species need sometimes a big kick in the butt .. i mean motivation to grow up

edit on 6/24/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

When extreme pressure is placed upon a given species to the point that its numbers are taken to the point of extinction only the most adaptive (and a few very lucky ones) will survive.

So...individuals may not change, but the population as a whole sure as hell will.

Is this the way it must happen..sadly I think yes.

But even this natural way of things is not enough for mankind.
edit on 24-6-2012 by Numbers33four because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

The time will come when people begin to realize that once again and for the umpteenth time they have #ed up things for future generations, Then there will be a massive shuffle of agendas (Just like the collapse of the once great roman empire) and people will try and re-arrange themselves to gain a new type of order with the thought *let's do it right this time!* and then once again they will bugger it up, Just the way things go maytee

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
We have been on the brink of extinction the human race will never change by itself, a external factor must change us

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by TedHodgson
reply to post by Ben81

The time will come when people begin to realize that once again and for the umpteenth time they have #ed up things for future generations, Then there will be a massive shuffle of agendas (Just like the collapse of the once great roman empire) and people will try and re-arrange themselves to gain a new type of order with the thought *let's do it right this time!* and then once again they will bugger it up, Just the way things go maytee

I would have agreed on that if i was pessimism
but i sense it in a completely other way

in 2013 .. we will kind of reset time to 0 .. it will be yrs 1

i think firmly humankind will Lighten up Permanently and see life with another pair of eyes

but thats just me

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I can't remember who said it but the saying goes something like - "People change for only two reasons, either because they have to - life demands it of them - or they change because they have learned something new."

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
YES, and maybe not even then.
The human race is a failed experiment of evolution. Time to hit the reset button.
We will never change it just is not in our nature to do so.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

They did that after Christ died too! And look how that went

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by TedHodgson
reply to post by Ben81

They did that after Christ died too! And look how that went

Christ probably already knew it wouldnt world
and had to make plans to return one day to set things right

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Well it's not so simple. In order for your hypothesis to be true, we as humans need to be free to govern ourselves which I don't think is the case. It's simply just isn't up to us. We first need to free ourselves and than start changing things on this planet which is very difficult since most people are absolutely unaware that they are in prison.
edit on 24-6-2012 by alomaha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I would like to contribute a song that expresses my feelings.

edit on 24-6-2012 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by fixer1967
The human race is a failed experiment of evolution. Time to hit the reset button.

That is just a cop-out. Pride may stand in the way for a lot of people, but circumstances trump pride every time. Everyone in this country would say they would never eat another human being until they have gone several weeks without food and one of them dies or gets killed. At that point they realize how desperate a person can get and what they are willing to do to survive.

At some point your instincts for survival kick in and you are thrown into overdrive. Your problem solving skills increase and your stamina skyrockets. You can find solutions and forget about setbacks except when it serves to protect you from future setbacks. Pride only serves to hold you back. It is a learned trait along with spirituality and manners. It serves no purpose in nature.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by onecraftydude

Originally posted by fixer1967

That is just a cop-out. Pride may stand in the way for a lot of people, but circumstances trump pride every time. Everyone in this country would say they would never eat another human being until they have gone several weeks without food and one of them dies or gets killed. At that point they realize how desperate a person can get and what they are willing to do to survive.

At some point your instincts for survival kick in and you are thrown into overdrive. Your problem solving skills increase and your stamina skyrockets. You can find solutions and forget about setbacks except when it serves to protect you from future setbacks. Pride only serves to hold you back. It is a learned trait along with spirituality and manners. It serves no purpose in nature.

I agree

Basic survival instinct will come out in front of death ... it can literaly reboot someone
to see life another way and changing for the better and new spirituality

many survivor can relate that afer facing death of close
it change you from the inside .. some will call it mental damage or PSTD
sometime it will traumatise someone and other time it will wake you up

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

I think there needs to be the final straw that breaks the camels back.

It might come today with the Supreme Courts decision on the Affordable Health Care Amendment... providing coverage to children with preexisting conditions, free basic screenings for everyone...

As an aside, 1 out of every 418 Texans is in the INSURANCE business and so the movement against Affordable Health Care is decidedly Grand Old Party. Climate change deniers are Texans too, in the oil business. Can you see a conflict of interest problem entering a debate on the topic of climate change for the oil companies? Or the insurance industry speaking up in a debate concerning free health care? Uh... yeah I can.

new topics

top topics

join