It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Self-Defense: The Key To A Civil Society?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Happy Sunday, ATS. Like many of you, I have been recovering from a rad but exhausting Saturday. Whilst chillin' like the proverbial villain, I ran across this clip. I found it profoundly moving, and judging by the way millions of people all over the world responded, this kid's story hits a strong chord with a lot of us.

Casey relates how he was bullied from a young age. He strikes the viewer as a very bright, self-contained kid. But what struck me in particular were two things: his grapple and throw technique and his use of certain lingo when describing the incident. "I blocked that punch, and I don't know if the next one connected."

If I didn't know any better, I'd say this kid had finally had enough and enrolled in a judo class.

From an early age, people are encouraged to resort to an outside agency for defense. We live in a protectionist culture, rather than an empowered one. And yet, when we watch this video of a kid defending himself, we get stoked.

Back in the day, open carry as a social more ensured civility- being a dick was likely to put you in mortal peril. Sticks and stones may break your bones, but guns will fricking kill you. I'm not even going to attempt to substantiate the link between an openly armed majority and a greater degree of civility. It's a hunch, but looking into the parallels in Pre-Meiji Japanese culture leads me to the same conclusion.

However, swords and guns (while sweet as hell) translate to overkill (cough) when it comes to the consequences of violating etiquette, as well as overly elaborate and restrictive codes of conduct.

But what if a non-lethal martial art, one that focused on restraint and expediency was universally taught from childhood on? What if we all had the ability to body-slam a bully if the need arose? What if instead of bleating for intervention when conflict arises, we become empowered to defend ourselves, our loved ones and even strangers in extremis?

At the very least, I would expect to see a phenomenal uptake in respectful and civil behavior.

As we come into a time of scarcity and change our survival will hinge on our capacity to work with and rely on our neighbors and our ability to look after ourselves- in every sense.

edit on 24-6-2012 by Eidolon23 because:

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I agree with the sentiment.

I think it would also be great exercise (maybe it could replace PE in grade school), but since we also live in a fatassed culture, I don't think anyone would take this idea seriously.

The masses would first have to understand how guns=security and the ignorance only seems to be rising.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by AquarianHerald

Well, considering the Gamer tie-in, I bet if you gave kids the option of a traditional P.E. class vs. a martial art, a good majority of them would opt for it. Also, obesity is no bar to learning and being effective at self-defense.

*cough* Sammo Hung *cough*

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Only if self-defense is assimilated into a fully-functional mythology and given the place of a symbol for a principle of a higher spiritual reality.

edit on 24-6-2012 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueMule

I think Casey makes a fine symbol.

What would you suggest?

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
That depends on the cultural mythology it is being assimilated into.

If a society doesn't have a fully-functional mythology, nothing will make it civil.

edit on 24-6-2012 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Get your myth-spinning on, 'cause its all up for grabs, kids.

Anyway, the clip also made me recall a conversation I had with one of my Tae Kwon Do instructors. He was a wiry septugenarian, yet appeared to be no older than forty. He gave me the low-down on the origins of the art. The Japanese moved in on the Koreans back in the day, and pulled the same crap they pulled in their own kingdom, but with an extra kick in the ribs here or there.

A samurai skewering a peasant carried no greater significance or consequence than dispatching an animal.

Oh, that's the other thing. The occupying enforcer class were the only ones allowed to carry swords. So it was, overall, a pretty raw deal for the farmers.

They started training together in secret groups, in secluded glades and woodsheds. Farmers teaching farmers, until most everyone was in one of these groups. Pretty soon, they were finding samurai (still clutching their katana) with fist-sized holes through their chests where their hearts used to be.

It didn't result in the Japanese decamping, but it did equalize relations some.

Just found this image taken from the Koguro paintings located in North Korea. Can't date it beyond "really old". They depict a hand and foot style thought to be widely practiced among the peasant class. So, that's nifty.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I'm not saying obesity is a bar or that kids themselves would object to it (initially), but when the kids start crying that its too hard and the adults see no value in it, its back to dodge ball and jumping jacks.

In the case of school children, parents/teachers ultimately need to support the initiative even though kids are going to cry about it.

I guess its more of a fatassed mentality than anything physical.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by AquarianHerald

No, I took your meaning.

The mentality about the supposed "fatass mentality" is depressingly prevalent. I feel we are selling each other short when we assert that blanket generalization. We aren't inherently lazy, we are accustomed to certain living patterns. We can change them, if we're clever enough in our approach.

But first we have to stop crapping on one another.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
As a teacher, I've recommended martial arts many times. It fosters self discipline, improves concentration and focus, and raises self esteem. I've seen students with severe ADHD learn to handle it through martial arts. My own son, who is practically a force of nature, will begin classes this fall.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Right on! That is very encouraging to hear. I agree entirely with you on the upshots of regular practice- you might even be able to wean a few kids off the Adderol. Do you practice yourself, and if so, what are you into?

As a petite female who has lived in urban areas, my self-defense skillz have saved my bacon twice. I feel very strongly that all women should look into it. There's always going to be the size differential, but like I said: it's all about equalization.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Eidolon23

I am in agreement that martial science is something we can all practice. It'll help prevent martial law in the long run, imo.

Restrain self so that others won't have to.

Cool thread

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by loveguy

Thank you.

I just struck gold with this blog entry. Or should I say, silver:

The Silver Rule: Do not do unto others what you would not have them do unto you.

This guy is very sharp, and outlines some excellent ethical and practical guidelines for civilian self-defense. A biggie that is usually not mentioned is finding a school oriented toward self defense. There's a lot of outfits that will teach you something that looks pretty, but is going to let you down in a bad sitch.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by loveguy

Say, Loveguy, you strike me as a pacifist, and the link you posted leads me to believe you are into jiujitsu? I haven't practiced it myself, but am given to understand that it is well-suited for women and children, as it focuses on techniques that minimize size/weight advantage.

edit on 24-6-2012 by Eidolon23 because: oops, grappling.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Ah that bully did not know what he was getting himself now did he. Not only was he outweighed by the Casey kid, but he "the bully" probably never been in a fight in his life. Because if he did, he would think twice about trying to start a fight with somebody who can pick him up and slam him like a sack of potatoes on concrete.

I'v got into fights when around that age over kids stuff, and getting slammed, or getting your head smashed on concrete is not fun. I think with a lot of these bully's especially the whole school yard scenario it's more a animalistic pack mentality thing, and most bully's do it because they know they can get away with it, or that there buddies or "pack" will have there back if the victim actually fights back. And in a lot of cases its not even the bully themselves that frighten those getting bullied on, its usually other pressures, such as being outnumbered or even there parents and that the school will come down on them if there in a fight.

If bullies actually thought that they would seriously get really hurt, trust me they would think twice before doing anything. And that is were the martial arts would come in, or civil defense as you say. Because from what I seen there is always a hitch in bullying situations, or there just plain not all that bright. And kids are just not all that bright, they tend to do all kinds of things that are stupid and dangerous. That is! till they trip and fall on there face, then they think twice about doing it again.

So I agree that they should have some sort of martial arts thought in school or elsewhere, because then it would give them a real taste of what fighting and conflict is all about. And trust me if that bully had a taste of what it would be like if he actually got that Casey kid to fight back in a controlled simulation like in a dojo or the school gym, he would, now way, no how, be provoking him or trying to bullying him.

My favorite class in school was gym class, and if they would of had a after school martial arts class or something like that I would of took it. I think everybody should learn to fight, and to learn some form of Self-Defense not only is it just good exercise but it implants many things about life, even if you do not fully grasp those things early on. That and if the fact that everybody could protect themselves then it would not be very profitable or smart for bullies or anybody else to be starting stuff with anybody knowing that dire consequences will follow then and there.

edit on 24-6-2012 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

Dude, I agree with every effing word.

Apparently, we're going to get a chance to see the results of instituting mandatory martial arts classes in public schools, because that's exactly what's currently going down in Japan. I guess there's a major bullying epidemic. Thy're emphasizing grappling.

Male and female first- and second-year middle school students will have to take classes in a traditional Japanese martial arts–such as judo, kendo, sumo, naginatajutsu (Japanese halberd fighting) and aikido–chosen by schools or local boards of education.

Currently, Japanese martial arts classes are optional in middle schools. In a ministerial sampling survey, nearly 60 percent of public middle schools offering martial arts classes had chosen judo.

Once the classes become mandatory, the ministry predicts that many other middle schools will choose judo and the number of classes will increase, as the sport does not require special protective gear or other equipment.

Under the ministry’s curriculum guidelines, the students are expected to be taught grappling and throwing techniques.

educationinjapan.wordpress.com... ational-news-summaries-excerpts/

The initiative is attracting its share of controversy, but statistically speaking, most other sports are more dangerous.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

Hey, and lest we lose sight of the fact that bullies are people too, I thought I'd post this clip for balance.

Now, certainly that kid needs to be feeling the negative emotional consequences of his actions, but you have to think that internet infamy is a little harsh.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   

I think they should follow suit to what the Japanese are doing or do something similar. And all that I know of Japanese culture is what I seen from the TV, some books, and animes. And considering that I have seen many anime's with school bullies and school fights in it, then by my logic. Which is awesome by the way...That correlates to bullying problems at schools.

But they should mix it up a bit, judo is fun and all, and grappling is pretty much a primal thing because the way humans are physically built. Basically its going to come down to some sort of grappling in any encounter, but its not the be all and end all of things and neither is jiu jitsu, mostly because of the environment. More likely the concrete, some of the things you can do on a mat in a gym will not be wise to try when concrete is involved.

But hey I think its a good idea.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Now, certainly that kid needs to be feeling the negative emotional consequences of his actions, but you have to think that internet infamy is a little harsh.

I'm sure he will grow out of it.

But that has got to be the wimpiest looking bully I ever seen, he definitely needs some martial arts training and discipline, poor kid! he should do some push-ups and eat some more cheeseburgers, he looks really skinny to, I really don't think the Casey kid even felt his punches at all.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eidolon23
reply to post by loveguy

Say, Loveguy, you strike me as a pacifist, and the link you posted leads me to believe you are into jiujitsu? I haven't practiced it myself, but am given to understand that it is well-suited for women and children, as it focuses on techniques that minimize size/weight advantage.

edit on 24-6-2012 by Eidolon23 because: oops, grappling.

Hi, yeah.
Well, I am a pacifist...or, I lack the killer instinct prevalent in the MMA. I don't consider myself an athlete, but I've trained/sparred with some beastly individuals, who have made me regret it...

Maybe Aikido is better suited for women and children? Fact is that I have little experience in violence.

I used to tell people that I have a PHD in Karate, and a black belt in philosophy, and no demonstration please!

I guess it just comes down to people's personal space. Some people will just as easily as break bread with someone one day, then the next day they're trying to brake his arm for reaching for the butter.

I'm more into the philosophy of martial science; how to survive a co-existence with fellow man. I've been fortunate in that regard, and am grateful too.

Will you please pass the potatoes?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join