It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

50-gigapixel Camera

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Well, if we get these cameras I suppose our UFO pics will be quite a bit better!

Camera Link

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Ahh, the things we can learn from nature!

Here an image from the source which shows a big structure not unlike an insects vision.

The system actually shares many characteristics with insects' compound eyes: A single image enters through a central lens, but is then refracted outward in 98 different directions to 98 different image sensors, each of which receives a different piece of the picture. The pieces are then assembled by a central processor.

For comparison, if your average point-and-shoot picture was the size of a word on this page, a 50-gigapixel shot would be around the size of your entire screen.

I sure hope this kind of power is not wasted on duckfaces....

50 gigapixels is the upper limit because it is the precision limit of lens-manufacturing technology, and also because beyond that you start running into the resolution limit of the atmosphere, i.e. what can be discerned through all those pesky air molecules between the camera and the subject. So it's no surprise that they're considering imaging at that size for astronomical rather than terrestrial photography.

Phew, that's a relief! It will be interesting to see if the results would be any much better than the other massive gigapixel space images, which although have been made by being joined together from multiple shots, we are talking light-years! I'm not sure that an instant snapshot (other than being easier) is going to produce a better result seeing how far stitching programs have come now. But I guess it will mean more of them, so bring it on!

edit on 22-6-2012 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 05:24 AM
link   
The advantages of this system are far in excess of the mere capacity to take all the shots required for a gigapixel image simultaneously, although that in and of itself is a pretty damned impressive feat with far reaching implications.

But this device will assemble those individual images using its central processor, which will also decrease the amount of time between images being captured, and the composite image being available for examination, and also reduce the man hours of messing about with imaging software that can often come off the back of an image being captured by, for example, a space telescope.

This will mean that the speed of the sciences and institutions ability to ACT on new data will increase. The difference may be below notice in the immediate sense, but you can bet that this device will, over time, prove its worth a thousand fold.

Consider my flabber, well and truly gasted.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Great, instant 50Gig photographs. There goes the privacy.

Here's a link to a 111G photograph. You realy can zoom beyond believe. (use arrows and + -)

111Gp photograph

This one is not made instant.. it took a lot of (robotic) work to make. Having a camera that can do this instantaneously is a major breakthrough.

Nice find op.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by reaganero
Well, if we get these cameras I suppose our UFO pics will be quite a bit better!

Camera Link

These days most UFO sightings rely on something being to far away to make out what it really is so then people think because they cant identify it that it MUST be a flying saucer. If we all had 50 gigpx camera then we would always be able to tell what we were looking at and be able to identify it correctly as a , bird , plane, chinese lantern etc..

edit on 23-6-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

IFFFFFF

/ that's a big if there./

The camera comes with a tripod, else the damn ufo will be like a squashed fly on the wall. Even with 50G cams built into Iphones you wont get clear pics. It's not the hardware that is at fault.

edit on 24/6/12 by D.Wolf because: typo

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
If we this technolgy is being realeased just imagine the kind of cameras the government has thats secret.

new topics

top topics

join