It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Retiring Dem: 'The People Have Gotten Dumber'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Can I get a 'Hell Yeah'!?!?!
I am glad to see that it is not just us conspiracy nuts who see this playing out in front of our eyes.
This is very encouraging.
On the other hand........well.......society is still stupid and dumbed down and it is only getting worse.

I would love to hear more from this guy.

Anyone have anything to add?

Society has changed. The public is to blame as well. I think the people have gotten dumber. I don’t know that I would’ve said that out loud pre-my announcement that I was going to be leaving. [Laughter] But I think that’s true. I mean everything has changed. The media has changed. We now give broadcast licenses to philosophies instead of people. People get confused and think there is no difference between news and entertainment. People who project themselves as journalists on television don’t know the first thing about journalism. They are just there stirring up a hockey game."

Link

edit on 21-6-2012 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-6-2012 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

Unfortunately, when my husband is home from work, he likes to watch the judge shows and the Jerry Springer smut. It makes my eyes bleed.

So, yes, I strongly agree with that statement. It's not just sad, it's scary to think about these people actively participating in civilization.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by CoherentlyConfused

Yeah, there is no better way to see just how stupid our society has become than to sit down and turn on some afternoon T.V. It panders to the dumbest of the dumb in our society. We have become bloated consumers who are addicted to entertainment. We need to be entertained at every turn. So much so, that even our news has to be entertaining.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

Hell yeah!

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
The human body/brain isnt too different from a computer.

What I mean to say is crap goes in crap comes out.

Most of what is in the average persons fridge is crap. Most of what is on TV is crap.

It doesnt help matters any that TV is passive. It takes no effort on the part of the consumer to get TV punching them in the face 10 hours a day. Flipping channels and complaining there isnt anything on yet they still sit there hour after hour.

I think if TV should ever become popularly ala carte where the consumer has to consciously pick a show and watch a show when they want to watch that show rather than just sit and take whatever garbage pours like vomit into their living room it would make a huge difference in this popular dumbing affect.

I've seen among peers and acquaintances that TV watching is way down. For one, cable is stupidly pricing itself into oblivion. For two, they all have Internet access and utilize services like Hulu, Crackle, Netflix, even bootleg streams to watch what they want to when they want to. This effectively removes the ability or the tendency to sit in front of the idiot box hour after hour doing nothing and not even really watching anything.

TV as it is is in it's death throws.

If what I have observed is anomalous among my acquaintances and not in any way indicative of a greater trend then there will be a significant class divide observable in the near future between those who passively consume and those consciously consume.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
In my opinion, this dumbing down of Americans is a result of the half-century destruction of public education system. Whatever your position on the status of public education one thing is clear. If the majority of the citizens are receiving poor quality education then the nation as a whole will suffer.

We Americans will get what we deserve.

-SC

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by SkullCreek

That is a fact!

Have anyone today take an 8th grade exam from the 30's. I guarantee you that the majority who take it will fail. And those are over just the basics that we all should know.

I am embarrassed to say that Americans are turning into a bunch of idiots!

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I think as each generation before us planned to make a better life for their children, where they wouldn't have to work as hard, they didn't stop to think that the work they were doing made them stronger contributors, smarter people, and more grateful citizens. They actually believed that, by creating a generation who didn't need to work hard at all, that it would be beneficial to everyone. Yeah, because kids with nothing to do are known for their innnovation.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkullCreek
In my opinion, this dumbing down of Americans is a result of the half-century destruction of public education system. Whatever your position on the status of public education one thing is clear. If the majority of the citizens are receiving poor quality education then the nation as a whole will suffer.

We Americans will get what we deserve.

-SC

please do not use the term "we"...i have nothing to do with this, nor should i be included...why is it when something is "bad", it is always the collective "we" that is to blame...the people that are the top 1% in america as it pertains to wealth, have the power. baseball players have seen more jury trails for doping, than anyone in the banking industry has seen for financial fraud.
why can't the wealthy "get what THEY deserve" for once?? but no...the poor, and the middle class are the ones that HAVE to pay, they are the ones that are beaten over the head with the reality of less and less.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Regardless of who pulls the strings we, as US citizens, will be participants in the puppet show.

-SC

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

WE are the problem because WE let it get this bad.
When WE decide that enough is enough then WE will be free.
and until I see YOUR picture on the front page then YOU are just as much to blame as the rest of US.

Collectively WE are stupid.
If you don't like being lumped in with US then you might want to consider getting off this planet cuz that's just the way IT is.

"The person is smart, people are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals".

If this isn't true then I don't know what is anymore.
As long as you choose to be a part of the human race then it will ALWAYS be WE!

top topics

join