It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warp flight.......?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I know it sounds 'trekish' but ive looked about and i do beleive that in is possible to either curve/fold space time or to contract space time ahead of you and expand it behind you propelling you at a great speed.

this was my starting point

quest.nasa.gov...

any ideas and/or sites??????????????

Speculation is futile.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 02:33 PM
link   
There are several approaches to FTL as proposed by the NASA breakthrough propulsion program. I think they all have merit and I personally am looking forward to hearing more about it.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   
No matter what type of propulsion method we use in the future it will never be associated with the word "warp". I think it was a bit much for Nasa to name the first space shuttle "Enterprise", Do we really need the word Warp.

This is just my opinion, I just dont like the word warp or drone.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Propulsion has always been heavily concentrated on getting from one place to another via kinetic motion. Many devices have been invented to do the same thing: push you along.
push you along. My theory involves what might be visualized as "warp", but it is much more simpler. Remove the space in front of you, enabling the space behind you to move you forward.
I aint no rokit psyentist, but I just thought this up a moment ago.
Hmmmm. I may have a few more thoughts on other stuff, but I wont know till it hapens!

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 12:22 PM
link   
My physics class got into a debate about this on monday night, and my professor put the whole thing to rest. Basicly, the thoery is there for "warp" travel, hawever the tech is not. The amount of power it would take to open a wormhole for "warp" travel is exponential. We're talking the power of a small star. Not only that, but the aperture of the worm hole would have to be about the size of earth just to let a teacup go through. Also, the amount of power that I mentioned before is just to get you from here to mars. If you wanted to go to another solar system thousands of light years away, the power needed is exponential. At this time, with our tech, this mode of travel is just not feesable.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by conspirrasist51
I know it sounds 'trekish' but ive looked about and i do beleive that in is possible to either curve/fold space time or to contract space time ahead of you and expand it behind you propelling you at a great speed.

And why do you think it is possible?

this was my starting point

quest.nasa.gov...
This is just a search of documents that have the word 'warp' in them, like 'this paper became warped when wetted"

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I think your professor may have been a tad misinformed about the theory of 'warp' travel. Wormhole travel, yes would require in inordinate amount of energy to create and sustain not to mention needing exotic material in order to keep it stable and open. Not to mention that a wormhole is a tunnel from one point in space to another that theoretically tunnels througha dimension outside of 'realspace'. Most Theoretical physicists agree that if a wormhold could be established and we could travel in it, it would be virtually impossible to calculate where it would come out. However the 'trek' theory of 'warp ' is simply creating a large and powerful pocket, commonly termed as a warp field, around an object in which space is stationary while outside the field space/time is accelerated around the field so that the object can achieve FTL travel. Modfiying energy outputs of the field from the fore to the aft allows for movement while the actual craft inside the field would technically be stationary. ( This is just the trek warp theory as explained by Kip Thorne)

[edit on 6-10-2004 by Fastmover01]

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I have allways gotten the impression that when roddenberry first came up with 'warping space flight' that he had thought of it also also folding 'down' infront of the ship, and having the ship slide down it (but since its 'warping' the space, it doesn't 'move' down, just accelerates) and that -that- is why all the ships have such bizzare shapes, it saucer sections and wings that 'surf down warped space waves'. Dunno if anything like that was ever articulated, and of course it makes less sense than the usual 'warp drive' explanation. But it does seem to account for the bizzare shapes of the ships he came up with.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Nothing can be done with time because time doesn't exist. Time is an idea. And collapsing the space and expanding the space around the vehicle isn't possible either because you can't expand and collapse nothing. Worm holes also don't exist. Frankly I think its a wild idea someone came up with at one time but I think history will show that they will never be found. Our technological development is at a beginner level at best. We are the newbies in the universe. I feel confident that we are nowhere close to travel at light speed. But when the time does come it will not involve time or worm holes.

Just my opinion.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Well as for the shape of the ships, I don't believe I have ever read any explanation or seen any correlation between form and function. Except for the nacelles. From what was explained the nacelles produce 2 overlapping fields one for the front and one for the back varying intensities. I think the term 'sliding' through space to be a more accurate term for it. Definatley something to looked into a tad bit more though.
I tend to veer more towards the spacefold theory. This basically states that given a strong enough electromagnetic field that spacetime can be 'folded' and can tear a hole in the fabric of spacetime allowing an object to instantaneously travel from point A to point B without traveling the full distance. ( essentially folding a piece of paper in half and punching a pencil through it.) This is where I think the future of intergalactic travel is.

Time as conceptualized by humans yes is just that, an idea. However time does exist within the realm of quantum physics. It governs the decay of subatomic particles as well as is woven throughout space and is inseperable as far as manipulating it goes. So in far as manipulating time goes, you can't unless you also manipulate space.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fastmover01

I tend to veer more towards the spacefold theory. This basically states that given a strong enough electromagnetic field that spacetime can be 'folded' and can tear a hole in the fabric of spacetime allowing an object to instantaneously travel from point A to point B without traveling the full distance. ( essentially folding a piece of paper in half and punching a pencil through it.) This is where I think the future of intergalactic travel is.

I would have to agree. And. I dont think it is possible to travel a FTL Speeds. I think that any kind of this travel in the future is going to rely on our ability to manipulate spacetime. not our ability to hurl ourselves through space at 186 thousand miles per second....

Oh and I dont know what to think about the whole wormhole thing. but suppose it was possible and it did require a lot of energy. What about all this Scalar energy and Scalar electromagnetics. I read that one cubic centemetre of empty space (which supposedly holds this scalar enegy) if converted to mass would be more mass than what is visible in our universe. Surely there would be enough energy available here to open and sustain a wormhole? Just a thought I guess

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Warp drive?
May be closer than you think...
May want to read up on what this guy has been working on and I'm sure he is not the only one:
Miguel Alcubierre
The Basics of Warp Drive Physics
Warp Drive and Horizons

seekerof

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Im still out on the scalar issue...I have touched on it but not really read into it...warp propulsion as defined in Star Trek is definatley plausible as is spacefold. The links you provided are quite interesting. This guy has definatley raised a few questions regarding things especially mass to energy conversion in my mind. But then again that is what different points of view are for...

However the one thing I didnt agree with is the use of exotic material. You can sufficiently warp spacetime with a strong enough gravitic field. This is proven by the warpage of spacetime around our earth...any massive body that has sufficeint gravity warps it. I'm not sure if he is defining exotic material as antimatter or 'real exotic material' as defined in Hawking's initial theories. I believe the key to this problem is going to come in the simplistic form of gravity and electromagnetism....call me a simpleton..lol

[edit on 7-10-2004 by Fastmover01]

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 09:01 AM
link   
well I hope instead of nasa some private invents a way
to go faster or nearly as fast as lightspeed.
now private space entrepeneurs are going for
commercials space tourism. and now they are
giving prizes to people which complete a certain
goal first. I hope some biljonair sets a prize money and
the goal of finding a way to it.
Like a yearly based dragrace in space or somekind.
rising the bar each year. like in 2010 they win a certain speed.
the year after they have to beat that record with a certain minimum
speed. so a robotic space drag race.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I hope it will be the private sector to reach this goal first as well..however the amount of energy required to achieve this goal would unfortunatley put into the realm of either gov't controlled, funded, or overwatched. So it still may be quite a long time if ever.

join