It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VW With 80 MPG?, Made In America But Illegal To Purchase?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Yet another reason to hate politics in the good ole USA. After watching the video, I had to do some research because I thought for sure this was pure sensationalism... WRONG! What the guy is saying is 100% true.
I'm not sure how to embed the video so if someone could help I'd appreciate it.

revolutionarypolitics.tv...

This makes me sick. Basically the guy is saying that there are cars built here in America that are amazingly fuel efficient, but they are shipped overseas and we're not allowed to buy them.

It seems like every day I learn something that should have everyone taking to the streets and demanding our country back... yet here we sit. What is it gonna take to get people off their butts? How much more are we willing to take? All I here about the occupy movement is that they are a bunch of dope-smoking hippies who don't know their azzes from a hole in the ground, and I can't help but wonder... who's fault is that? Anyway I hope this ruffles your feathers as much as mine.

-Bone

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Well, I've seen this before and its partly to the car doing 75 miles per UK gallon 4.54 litres as opposed to 3.78 litres in a US Gallon !

And the rest is something to do with some epa emission regulations bs that the US government are using as an excuse.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Everyone needs to show this to there friends and make it viral. The more new technology is banned, the longer itll take for civilization to advance

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
States depend on fuel taxes. If all the cars got 80 mpg then the amount of fuel being bought would go way down. Those states would lose tons of money and the roads wouldn't be fixed because they would not fire the higher ups. So they need cars to get no more than 40mpg or else it ruins their spreadsheets and they can't make money. So that is why we can't have 80mpg cars. If we did, they would raise the price of gas to compensate. Like to oh say, $8.00 a gal like they have in Europe.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ken10
Well, I've seen this before and its partly to the car doing 75 miles per UK gallon 4.54 litres as opposed to 3.78 litres in a US Gallon !

And the rest is something to do with some epa emission regulations bs that the US government are using as an excuse.

You are correct. But that still comes out to 62.5 mpg vs. 42 mpg here in the states.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I used to drive a little old VW diesel. (not a turbo diesel)
It had a whopping 53 horsepower. 5 Speed manual shift. Hatchback.

Got 70 - 78 mpg. (roughly, thats measuring a gallon at 4.4litres/gal)

Thing could use 10 dollars and go 200km

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Personally, I'm convinced higher-MPG technology does exist but is being suppressed. Why haven't we been able to blow by the 40 MPG mark when there were cars getting higher then that back in the 1980s?

Toyota Corolla Gas Mileage

Nowadays they brag like it's some sort of miracle when they achieve mid-30s MPG.

The technology is there and the video is just further proof. Speaking of the video, here you go...

Peace.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
My buddy is getting 50 mpg highway in a turbo diesel jetta.
What gets me is that the big American three refuse to give us good power, handling, and economy such as our imports do.

Sad!
edit on 20-6-2012 by assspeaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
You should watch who killed the electric car... its an interesting documentary on the evo... and its rise and fall

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Ookie

Yep. Its all about fuel taxes, not just at the state level but also at the federal level. If there was a major gas mileage increase, the government would stand to lose tens of billions of dollars in tax revenues. They're not going to let that happen. To that end, some states are even exploring the idea of taxing miles driven instead or in addition to the traditional fuel tax.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bone75
Yet another reason to hate politics in the good ole USA. After watching the video, I had to do some research because I thought for sure this was pure sensationalism... WRONG! What the guy is saying is 100% true.
I'm not sure how to embed the video so if someone could help I'd appreciate it.

revolutionarypolitics.tv...

This makes me sick. Basically the guy is saying that there are cars built here in America that are amazingly fuel efficient, but they are shipped overseas and we're not allowed to buy them.

It seems like every day I learn something that should have everyone taking to the streets and demanding our country back... yet here we sit. What is it gonna take to get people off their butts? How much more are we willing to take? All I here about the occupy movement is that they are a bunch of dope-smoking hippies who don't know their azzes from a hole in the ground, and I can't help but wonder... who's fault is that? Anyway I hope this ruffles your feathers as much as mine.

-Bone

Thank you for stating what I feel as well about the people labelled as "The occupy movement". Now every protest or rally is linked to the negative connotations placed on them. There are a lot of people who make their living keeping the status quo working. They are dis-informants. They collect money to spread lies. They are the worst of our species. Lower than the globalists they support. They are also good at slinging mud and getting people to support their propaganda because people are generally too lazy to look into anything themselves.

Now there is the propaganda bill making it legal to lie to Americans about the status of their military or our position in other countries or even the position of our government in our own country. Couple that with the bill that removes personal rights from American born citizens if they are labelled a terrorist. And now you can be a terrorist if you own a shotgun in some places.

Occupy is an idea. There are methods I don't like, but the message is sound. We must occupy the same house as our masters since we are the real masters. If I want to piss on my porch I will do that. Pissing on the neighbor's house is uncalled for though.

I am not going to substantiate the behavior of the occupy movement. I can only support their message and wish for people to be responsible, yet I know the crowd mentality always prevails. We have to accept that any time a large group of people decide to fight corruption things will get broke.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
We also have to change our attitude toward vehicles ! Why do cars have to go 220 kilometers an hour and accelerate from 0-100 in 5 seconds !! A 1991 Chevy sprint was the best car I ever owned !! 3 cylinder , 989 cc engine , great on gas and cheap on parts !!

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Compare European Fords with their American counterparts and the difference is night and day. Why, for example do Ford sell us the outdated E-150 van when in Europe they have the Transit which looks like a damn spaceship next to an E-150.

I'm convinced there is a backscratching deal between the Oiligarchs and the car producers in the US. They must be getting kickback for producing gas guzzling autos. It must be something like this or else a pioneering industrial giant like Ford would have long since branched into alternatively powered vehicles.

Something is encouraging them to willfully ignore technological progress, while garage-inventors and amateur enthusiasts are beginning to pass them out technologically speaking.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

With 185lb ft of torque at 1500rpm, it mates well with the optional seven speed dual clutch gearbox, providing sufficient if not overwhelming levels of performance along with impressive of refinement and, with a combined cycle average of 58.9mpg, outstanding economy.

Well, (f)expletive. I thought there was going to be a conversion issue. I have been rather unimpressed with hybrids as I've known a few people with diesels that get amazing mileage. Beats the hell out of my 15 mpg/18 mpg (SUV/car respectively and average). Also, car needs the supreme. Pricey.

Link

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ookie
States depend on fuel taxes. If all the cars got 80 mpg then the amount of fuel being bought would go way down. Those states would lose tons of money and the roads wouldn't be fixed because they would not fire the higher ups. So they need cars to get no more than 40mpg or else it ruins their spreadsheets and they can't make money. So that is why we can't have 80mpg cars. If we did, they would raise the price of gas to compensate. Like to oh say, $8.00 a gal like they have in Europe.

In Europe distances to drive are shorter most of the time, so thats why our fuel is more expensive, because we use less of it on average. But yeah, if less fuel is consumed the price goes up, because of, supply and demand...

edit on 20-6-2012 by Cassius666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cassius666
In Europe distances to drive are shorter most of the time, so thats why our fuel is more expensive, because we use less of it on average. But yeah, if less fuel is consumed the price goes up, because of, supply and demand...

edit on 20-6-2012 by Cassius666 because: (no reason given)

European fuel prices are generally more expensive because you pay much, much higher taxes on it than we do. The underlying price of the physical gasoline isn't that much different than what we pay.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I will never buy an American vehicle, they are poor inferior quality cars compared to German cars. All three of my cars have been German.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
I will never buy an American vehicle, they are poor inferior quality cars compared to German cars. All three of my cars have been German.

Test drive a Subaru in the rain if you like a euro feel.
Best bang for the buck I have found.
Awesome in the snow.

I still agree with what you are saying.
It is a shame the pantera , gt40, vette, did not live up to the competition.
I will say the focus and fiesta are decent for front wheel drive econo boxes, although I will never own another fwd.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Introducing the 2012 Ford Focus electric - Gets an estimated equivalent of 110 mpg !

www.ford.com...

(EPA-estimated 110 city/99 hwy/105 combined MPGe. MPGe is the EPA equivalent measure of gasoline fuel efficiency for electric mode operation.)

I think it can travel up to 85 miles on a single charge.

So if you own a house and commute less than that, then this is the way to go!

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   
What does MPG have to do with the distance you travel?? The cost of Gas is the real issue.

The answer?? Gas prices are fixed through taxes or whatever. Press releases?? Yes. Our current reserve?? Yes.

The other question is the actual engine that is available. The point of this thread is that the higher MPH engines, even though manufactured in the US (who would of thought we manufactured anything anymore) but we cant buy them and there shipped overseas??

Interesting to say the least. I think there are many answers to the question depending on where you live.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join