It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What world did I just wake up in? They didn't want my personal info...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
My own choice of a quick lunch aside, something happened a little while ago that has me completely confused, and almost numb.

Like many of you, I don't often have the time, or energy, to build a healthy mid-day meal, so I heat up some leftovers, or pop a "TV Dinner" in the microwave when a cold sandwich just isn't going to cut it.

We could, (and do), spend whole threads on the value of eating in such a way, so I think we can avoid doing so here. I'm not looking for your advice.

Let's just say you could draw my blood both drunk and blindfolded and leave it at that. MY nutrition isn't what this is about.

What this is about, however, is something I noticed on a Marie Callender's product (Chicken Teriyaki) that I hadn't seen before. It's a bright red thumb-tack that says "Child Hunger Ends Here". The package also has an 8 digit code.

With all the greed and the scams that have become the norm, and everyone, and their mother, trying (everything they can) to get a hold of your personal information, I fully expected this to be another attempt.

After looking at it for a few minutes, I had myself convinced that if I were to visit the website on the box, I'd have to offer all kinds of personal and contact data just to be able to submit the code.

I feel like I just got slapped in the head by Rod Serling... what the hell. I went to the website, put in the code, and got the response that I just donated a meal... that was it. I suppose if I wake up later, and this isn't in MYATS, I'll know for sure.

Obviously, the validity of the whole program is another subject altogether, and it wouldn't be a stretch to imagine a finger or two in the pie, (as there usually is), but it doesn't take a scientist to see that a simple thing like NOT forcing someone to invite you into their personal space is an effective way to get things done.

Toss this in Rant if that's where it belongs, but the fact that it left me in such a fog of disbelief is making me question why. I want to scream in fury at the greed that, rightfully, led to my wrong assumption, and I'm pissed that something so menial seems so profound.

I suppose if there's any conversation here to be had at all, I'd ask if others felt the same way. I don't like being begged or scammed, (like anyone ever does), and I wasn't about to let it happen this time either. Why am I so surprised?

Would you have given it the time of day, or just tossed the package, convinced, without looking, like I normally do?

Little things drive home the fact that most of humanity doesn't deserve my trust, and that's not likely to change,
but this...

Today I was wrong.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by lernmore

Every now and then something genuine will come along, hard to spot in a sea of greed. If this is such a case I don't know.

Good post though, with all the scams and information predators out there it takes the spotlight away from truly good charities and other things. Indirectly, that may be dividing people against each other and preventing a lot of good work people are trying to do... having a real negative and malicious effect on the world.
edit on 19-6-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   

That code you just used on that website was the access code to accept their keylogger. Just make sure to go and pay all your bills online now. Also, make sure you login to your personal bank account.

ETA: Dang it! I just went and checked my Marie Callender Chicken Pot Pies in the freezer and none of them had the secret access code. I really wanted that keylogger.

edit on 19/6/2012 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
It could be a good sign, or it could be worse than you imagine.

When you bought that TV dinner, are you sure that 8-digit code wasn't scanned? Could that scanned code have been combined with either your credit/debit card, or the match found when a scan of your face went through facial recognition software?

I mean seriously, why wait for people to enter a code on a website to feed people. Why not just feed them? Then again, I can't figure out how Easter Seals needs money when they keep sending me all those return address stickers.

Off to the next parade with my magical rain machine.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Hi,

Myself, I get emails to click and feed a veteran, also, click and feed a dog daily.
I guess it's the ads cookie/cache stuff that also links us to our privacy online; or lack thereof which generates the funds for feeding.

I don't know how it works.
I just hope veterans and dogs don't all of a sudden go hungry b/c I haven't been clicking the buttons lately.
Thanks for reminding me I have extra emails I forgot about.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by chasingbrahman
When you bought that TV dinner, are you sure that 8-digit code wasn't scanned?

Yep.

Could that scanned code have been combined with either your credit/debit card, or the match found when a scan of your face went through facial recognition software?

Cute...
With that level of paranoia one might consider also staying away from the computer, the grocery store, and the treeline of their local woods.

It does, however, demonstrate the level of untrust I was talking about. It's not entirely in your head. People are after you... I mean your info.

Like I said, I was convinced, and wrong, that I'd have to offer some, but not so leery that I opted to have a nix flavored tor onion salad on my neighbors wireless with a side of that fake MAC for lunch instead. I was in a hurry.

The Teriyaki wasn't bad, either, for what it was, a little bland maybe.

I mean seriously, why wait for people to enter a code on a website to feed people. Why not just feed them?

I asked myself the same thing. The obvious answer is to generate more traffic to their website where people, who can afford more, have the options to do so. Seemed to make sense to me. Compare that with something that feels forced.

Thanks for the replies though, I got cranky yesterday staring at the greed.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   

I look at it like this. It's a damn gimmick to get you to feel better about buying the product or a gimmick to get you TO buy the product. It's like I see the pink this and the pink that, and it's all supposed to be about breast cancer. I saw a pink Swiffer once. Here's an idea: Leave the stupid pink thing on the shelf, buy a regular reusable mop that works with water and some bleach alone, and give the extra money to any charity you choose! You donate more money to charity, and you don't support companies that produce marginally better products that cost a fortune and produce lots of waste (and more buying of refills)!

I saw some lunch meat that said it would give money to breast cancer too. Buy some rice for yourself for a week or so, and give the money you saved to charity, if you really want to help! Stop feeding companies that really are just trying to get you to buy stuff or feel better about buying 'luxury' items. They could easily afford to donate millions without you spending a dime, likely!

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by daynight42

I look at it like this. It's a damn gimmick to get you to feel better about buying the product or a gimmick to get you TO buy the product. It's like I see the pink this and the pink that, and it's all supposed to be about breast cancer. I saw a pink Swiffer once. Here's an idea: Leave the stupid pink thing on the shelf, buy a regular reusable mop that works with water and some bleach alone, and give the extra money to any charity you choose! You donate more money to charity, and you don't support companies that produce marginally better products that cost a fortune and produce lots of waste (and more buying of refills)!

I saw some lunch meat that said it would give money to breast cancer too. Buy some rice for yourself for a week or so, and give the money you saved to charity, if you really want to help! Stop feeding companies that really are just trying to get you to buy stuff or feel better about buying 'luxury' items. They could easily afford to donate millions without you spending a dime, likely!

Exactly right.I don't want to be so cynical that I refuse to believe that someone running a big company doesn't want to help out, but it's a business. Businesses like to make money and every ingredient and every drop of ink that goes into the packaging is there for the purpose of generating more income. It's very clever, but is it there solely to help out? Or is it there to make you feel like you're doing something positive by purchasing a certain product?

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by daynight42

All valid points, and a proactive approach to both saving and getting it where it helps should be something more people do.

I'd like to clarify, though, that my rant wasn't so much about the 12 1/2 cents or the validity as I stated in the op, but I do enjoy being scolded like a child from time to time.
Oh wait, no I don't.

More about my own preconception that I'd be forced to fill out a registration form, I did not type in the URL out of compassion. Call that heartless, and maybe it was...and I'm sorry you bought a pink mop.

ETA:
Also, since I eat food I enjoy, and not the packaging that it just happened to come in, I'm likely to come across another one. Do you suggest I throw the next one out now that I know I don't have to do anything other than type in an 8 digit number?

I wasn't really prepared to have to make that decision, but that's what I get for not thinking things through before acting. I could use your help here.

What say you.. file it?

So far the consensus seems to be:
5 - Throw it out without looking
1- No opinion
edit on 20-6-2012 by lernmore because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Not that it matters, and if it wasn't obvious from my point of view, but I never did and will never buy a pink mop.

I deliberately do not purchase products that try to sway my opinion by using charities to boost sales.

If you aren't the type of person who is, then you don't have to take offense to anything I said.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by daynight42

Not that it matters, and if it wasn't obvious from my point of view, but I never did and will never buy a pink mop.

Oh, I know you didn't buy a pink mop, I was being silly, we can read. It sounded funnier when I thought it., sorry.
The only thing pink I ever bought in my life was a C.D. player for a kids birthday. Great imagery though, I actually saw that Swiffer in my head as I read the words.

I deliberately do not purchase products that try to sway my opinion by using charities to boost sales.

I'm the same way...exactly. I run like the wind from such gimmicks, always have. I feel sorry for those that don't. I guess I'm not so critical, though, that I'd "deliberately" put a product I liked back on the shelf because of the packaging. It was a T.V. dinner.

If it didn't take 5 minutes to heat, I never would have been standing in my kitchen thinking "I bet they want my info to apply this thing." I only looked to see, and got caught off guard.

I'm every bit as grumpy as you about it, and it sounds like we're on the same page.

If you aren't the type of person who is, then you don't have to take offense to anything I said.

I'm pretty sure I didn't see some balloons and run over to the freezer section. I guess we both suck at assumptions, eh?

Stop at the rant, think before you type, and never admit anything that can be misconstrued as weak willed.
I'll try and continue forward with that in mind, promise ...after this post.
edit on 21-6-2012 by lernmore because: (no reason given)

top topics

join