It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian Gamers get adults-only classification

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   

AN adults-only computer game rating category will at last become a reality with legislation passing Federal Parliament.

The new law fulfils the Commonwealth's part of a deal with states and territories to include an R18+ rating in the games classification system.

"These are important reforms over 10 years in the making," Home Affairs Minister Jason Clare said.

"The R18+ category will inform consumers, parents and retailers about which games are not suitable for minors to play and will prevent minors from purchasing unsuitable material.

"The reforms also mean that adults are able to choose what games they play within the bounds of the law."

Previously, the highest rating for computer games has been MA15+ meaning overseas adult-only games are usually banned here or given a lower classification allowing children to obtain them.

The new laws bring computer games in line with the classification system for films and other material and make Australia more consistent with international standards.

They have received overwhelming support during years of consultation - one discussion paper received more than 58,000 submissions with most in favour.

(Link)

About time! Australian gamers have been asking for this classification for a long time and it is good to see that politicians have finally heard the call. Just as there is the option to view adult content in the Film/TV industry, it makes sense that there should too be the option to experience adult (18+) content in the Gaming industry. No more banning games or slicing content to ensure they conform to the MA (15+) standard. No doubt we will probably see certain segments of the population scaremongering about this change, but that is to be expected. Legislation takes effect from 1 January 2013.
edit on 18/6/2012 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Sweet, I assume thats good for us here in NZ also. I have come across a few games that we cant get here because they didn't get released in Australia and its not 'financially viable' (or some rubbish) to release just in NZ.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Never had that problem.

All hail the bits of look at that rain, its torrenting down..

oh my !

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by homeslice

I'm not sure what the games classification system is like in NZ, but hopefully this action results in a greater variety of games being available for our NZ friends as well.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I agree, it has been a long time coming. Hopefully now we will see the return of games as they are originally created, not the watered down versions we get here.

The thing I don't get is how could it have taken them so long? We have had the R18+ on movies for years, and even had them revised around ten years ago. It shows the government here in Aust cares little for the advent of games, and sadly shows just how far behind the rest of the world we are

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

Explanation: S&F!

I posted about this issue 2yrs ago ...

Attorney-General Michael Atkinson to quit front bench. (by OmegaLogos posted on 20-3-2010 @ 09:39 PM) [ATS]

Article Headline: Attorney-General Michael Atkinson to quit front bench.

[Please NOTE this is in Australia and refers to the South Australia State election and issues to do with R18+ ratings classification for computer games re: Censorship.

Please see thread for more details and links.

Personal Disclosure: Game OVER @ the prudes!
Game On for the rest of us!

join