It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you feel , When you shake another Mans hand ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
""Why is it that we shake each others hands,
when we meet upon the street?

Why don't we shake our noses
or kick each others Feet?""

darrman..

I Shook another mans hand today, after verbal introductions. and his hand fit inside mine, like it was a glove..

i thought to myself " This guy is a real man"
"Where did he learn to shake another mans hand like this"?

"he must be Old School"

i wonder if his DAD taught him to shake hands like My dad did..?

When i was small, my dad Told me how important a handshake was to being a man..
he showed me how to shake hands, as if it was, a family secret, passed down from father to son..

BUT Why does it matter..??

(here is where YOU come in, fellow ATS members)

I live in the mostly, limp-wrist-ed, Seattle area, where the best you can hope for is a limp fish, for a hand shake..

and for some reason I've put up with it,, until today.

this guy was a 45 ish guy from out of state, and shaking his hand MEANT something,, we shared a moment of respect, and Honor among men..

i did my job,, i was there less then 10 mins working,, and he paid me $50.00

and just to say thank you, the man came out and Shook MY hand, and again it was a gesture of recognition,, a tribute, to men being normal, and yet reverent...to each other..

Society seems to have lost esteem, for Men and old ideals..

must be because Society has lost Self Respect...

what do you think??

can we get our Handshakes BACK??

or does it not matter, in our world of E-commerce
????

PS if you NEED to know how i get $50 bucks for ten mins work,, read this..
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 6/16/12 by darrman because: thank YOU

edit on 6/16/12 by darrman because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/16/12 by darrman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by darrman

Interesting you should mention this. I probably give a lot more thought to handshakes than a some people. I'm always very conscious when I shake hands with someone--probably because my old man taught me, as yours taught you.

I've found that people who take pride in the work they do for a living seem to have a more appreciative understanding of the handshake than people who don't. It is almost like a brotherhood.

What's more, I find it hard to respect people with crappy half-assed handshakes. Many times you wouldn't know right away just by looking at them or talking to them. But as soon as you shake their hand, it's suddenly clear: They're always either deceivers or slackers or somehow... I don't know... non-genuine, or insincere.

Funny, ain't it?

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I'm female, but when I shake somebody's hand, I feel awkward. I don't like the gesture, and I never have. I'd rather do in the old fashioned way (clasp wrists) or bow or something.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I think of germs.

The Japanese are way ahead of us.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

yes is IS funny .. and

you're Right. it is a "detector of Character " of some form..

Almost a 6th Sense of who they are, or what to Expect in your Dealing with---

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

redneck .. Bows are highly regarded!!

i bow to my Asian customers, my East-Indian customers , and i feel
like its a way of showing acceptance..

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   
More often than not I feel digusted, from the vibe I recieve.I read people all the time and see things they have done.Most are cheating on their partners.
edit on 16-6-2012 by 13th Zodiac because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I'm female and I don't like shaking hands. I really hate it when the person has sweaty hands. Gee thanks a lot for sticking your sopping wet hand onto mine. So gross.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Explanation: S&F!

I feel ... a firm GRIP!

Personal Disclosure: I prefer the fist bump as it maintains that physical contact and yet avoids sweaty palms and also having ones hand crushed by overly agressive handshakers.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by darrman

My father taught me to shake hands with a man, he told me it was very important in this world to be able to shake hands properly, especially for me being a woman, in order to get the utmost respect.

A firm handshake, with a little twisting of the wrist so that your hand is on top
this is the "I am more dominant than you" handshake, and it works best!

I loved my father.....

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by 13th Zodiac

Well, at least that should make the hand relatively "pure".

I saw a documentary recently on ATS about a guy whose brother became a radical Islamist, and he shakes the hand of non-Muslims only with his "unclean" left hand (which they use for personal hygiene), even with his own brother!

I'd not shake hands then at all.

edit on 16-6-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
We shake hands (right hand to right hand) because it is a gesture of peace. In the past, many people carried weapons, and meeting strangers up close was a potentially dangerous task. The handshake developed as a way of occupying right hands such that they could not wield weapons. Obviously, this technique did not work very well on left-handed people, so left-handed people got a bad reputation as tricksters because they could still easily attack during a handshake.

I don't like limp handshakes-- I feel it conveys a lack of effort in the greeting.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by darrman

Confidence or wimp.

And while gripping their hand firmly, I also look them in the eye with a small smile on my face while thinking, "I can take you."

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Thought this might be interesting, etiquette expert Diane Gottsman on handshakes:

In SA some black people may hold on to the hand for longer as they speak, which is just a cultural variation.

edit on 16-6-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   
I always shake a new person's hand. Man or woman. The grip of the shake is regulated.
Ive shook many hands, some hands that are weak, just like jello. And their personality reflects it.
Some hands are strong, and it reflects it as well...
Give a firm hand shake, Look the person in the eyes.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I'm like the big guy from the Green Mile who can get a preview into the psyche of the person with whom I am shaking hands with. I get all sorts of vibes and depictions of their character and personality. It is like I am downloading the contents of their soul using USB 3.0 - that's how fast it is.

top topics

join