It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My 3rd attempt at drawing a person

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
be honest, what do you think? im posting the link from my Deviant Art
the drawing is of 1 of my friends

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by saiyankev

The shading is pretty good
i think if you went darker it would look better.. but its still good
nice job!

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
It's a nice attempt, but I would point you to some of the dimensions of the face that seem somewhat off. For example, ol' Sara has a reeeeeally long nose! Try to look at some pictures and note the true measurements of the typical face; mouth from chin, eyes from the top of the head, etc., and capturing those measurements will make your faces more realistic. Best of luck....

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Very nice. Especially for only your third time drawing a person. You captured a lot of expression and reflected an interesting portrayal of your friend. I'm impressed...

Keep drawing, you have natural talent.

Des

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by BBobb
It's a nice attempt, but I would point you to some of the dimensions of the face that seem somewhat off. For example, ol' Sara has a reeeeeally long nose! Try to look at some pictures and note the true measurements of the typical face; mouth from chin, eyes from the top of the head, etc., and capturing those measurements will make your faces more realistic. Best of luck....
ya.. well the point i was at when i was drawing the nose.. i couldnt just stop and erase, i understand some parts of this is a bit off
thanks for the comment

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Good job.
Here's a suggestion though...draw on whitish paper...you will have a greater 'range' of contrasting shades to work with...

If your aim is to portray realism...you must learn the tricks that can make your eyes think you are looking at something which is 3 dimensional...this is the challenge of realism...

Look up 'foreshortening'...it will be your friend...

akushla

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by willrush

The shading is pretty good
i think if you went darker it would look better.. but its still good
nice job!
ya well the drawing is darker inperson, thanks though.. idk what passion i had at the time but apparently i need that passion back, im usaully not that great with shading, so im glad u liked it

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Very nice. Especially for only your third time drawing a person. You captured a lot of expression and reflected an interesting portrayal of your friend. I'm impressed...

Des
thank you alot ^_^
u dont even wanna see my 1st attempt... total fail

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by saiyankev

Des
thank you alot ^_^

What I really like about your drawing is, not only did you do a good job of representing your friend, but, you also let your own feelings about aspects of her reflect in your drawing. A nice duality a lot of people can't express in their drawings,

Des

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by akushla99
Good job.
Here's a suggestion though...draw on whitish paper...you will have a greater 'range' of contrasting shades to work with...

If your aim is to portray realism...you must learn the tricks that can make your eyes think you are looking at something which is 3 dimensional...this is the challenge of realism...

Look up 'foreshortening'...it will be your friend...

akushla
actually i used white paper... i used printer paper, might look grey bcuz the way i took the pic, also her eyes are kinda unique eyes so kinda hard, but thanks for the advice

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by saiyankev

Des
thank you alot ^_^

What I really like about your drawing is, not only did you do a good job of representing your friend, but, you also let your own feelings about aspects of her reflect in your drawing. A nice duality a lot of people can't express in their drawings,

Des
^_^ thanks, didnt really think u could see my 'feelings' in the art but ya i did put alot of effort in this one.. more than anything else i ever drew

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   

When it comes down to it...what you see is landscape...focusing on one aspect of that landscape will reveal a landscape within a landscape...treat the eye, as if it were...another landscape...

Kudos to you for even trying...but having taught life drawing for a number of years, I am certain everyone can do it, to varying degrees of 'satisfaction'...the rest is your individual 'style' which can show itself quite early...keep doing it!

akushla

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I like it, nice!

Good job.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by mainidh
I like it, nice!

Good job.
thank you

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Sorry to do this... lol
but you asked for honesty.

look up a "canon" of the human male and female heads and you will know what my chicken scratches mean.
if you want more help / tips / suggestions, feel free to ask.

Also you would do very well to take a life drawing class.

link to hosted file Full Image

Very well done for your third attempt. great work.
edit on 15-6-2012 by gostr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by gostr
Sorry to do this... lol
but you asked for honesty.

look up a "canon" of the human male and female heads and you will know what my chicken scratches mean.
if you want more help / tips / suggestions, feel free to ask.

Also you would do very well to take a life drawing class.

Very well done for your third attempt. great work.
edit on 15-6-2012 by gostr because: (no reason given)
obviously i drew it based off a picture of her, that right ear u drew... doesnt show in her pic
and would look better if i had better lighting when i took the pic of it... theres more shades but light shades like her pic showing like her cheeks or around eye, etc.
edit on 15-6-2012 by saiyankev because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Yeah, i knew the ear didnt exist I was just trying to illustrate how everything on the face lines up in eery fashion. its almost perfectly symmetrical how everything lines up.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   

if you are drawing from a picture, you could, use a grid system, put a grid over the picture and then recreate the grid on your peice of paper and then recreate it square for square. what i usually do is concentrate on 1 small area, the curve of the nostril, the curve of the ear lob, and when i get that curve absolutely perfect, i expand a little until those lines match, then expand more, piece by piece you slowly recreate it instead of trying to draw large portions from memory, spend 3 seconds looking at said curve, spend 3 seconds trying to recreate it, then go back and spend 3 seconds again, then 3 seconds drawing, rinse and repeat until its finished

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   

if you are drawing from a picture, you could, use a grid system, put a grid over the picture and then recreate the grid on your peice of paper and then recreate it square for square. what i usually do is concentrate on 1 small area, the curve of the nostril, the curve of the ear lob, and when i get that curve absolutely perfect, i expand a little until those lines match, then expand more, piece by piece you slowly recreate it instead of trying to draw large portions from memory, spend 3 seconds looking at said curve, spend 3 seconds trying to recreate it, then go back and spend 3 seconds again, then 3 seconds drawing, rinse and repeat until its finished
... i honestly forgot about that 'grid' thing, i guess i'll try it later on

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   

I 2nd this...treating each section as a smaller 'drawing' which the brain will make sense of, regardless of how awkward it may look...
If the 'artist' is interested in this avenue (specifically) look at the portraits of Chuck Close.

akushla

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join